Bo training aids

Loomie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am training with the bo and basically we do this on our own time. I am looking for some DVD's or literature to help me along. I'm basically pretty new to this. Anyone have any they recommend? Thanks

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you've never handled a weapon before, you need to find a qualified teacher of said weapon. With a stick (bo), you can go JMA/OMA/CMA/FMA/IMA for different styles.

I really recommend against a video of any kind unless you've got training previously & you're looking to learn new drills or maybe (stretching here) a new set.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The above being said, I have had the opportunity to train with Ms. Lauren Kearney. She is a 2nd Dan EPAK stylist and is amazing with the bong (Korean word for stick before you look at me puzzled). She is based in Fla, but she has a few vids as well as doing distance instruction over the internet, with a webcam. Google her and see what you come up with.

I forgot to mention she is a national forms champ and on the Paul Mitchell team

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say the following 3 things are required to really learn how to use a weapon

- Someone that knows what they are doing.
- Something you can hit with the weapon.
- Practice weapons and training partners.

Watching a video and swinging it in the air would be like playing pool by watching it on tv and using a pool cue without any balls or a table ;)

OP
L

Loomie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. We do get some instruction, but not alot of time is spent on it. Thats why I was looking for info. Thanks

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have always liked anything with George Alexander, it is Okinawa based but real good stuff.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. We do get some instruction, but not alot of time is spent on it. Thats why I was looking for info. Thanks

If your instructor wishes/requires/encourages you to learn this, why is so little time spent on it? Why is your teacher not teaching it?

OP
L

Loomie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If your instructor wishes/requires/encourages you to learn this, why is so little time spent on it? Why is your teacher not teaching it?

Because at this time we are gearing up for testing. We spend a little time once a week on it, but lately a lot of that time is spent on self defense. Class is twice a week for 1.5 hours each day.They do encourage you to spend time working on it and other techniques we cover in class at home. I guess they call that practice. The person who has been helping e hasn't been there the last few times. Guess I'll grab the master before class and see if he can show me a few things to work on.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because at this time we are gearing up for testing. We spend a little time once a week on it, but lately a lot of that time is spent on self defense. Class is twice a week for 1.5 hours each day.They do encourage you to spend time working on it and other techniques we cover in class at home. I guess they call that practice. The person who has been helping e hasn't been there the last few times. Guess I'll grab the master before class and see if he can show me a few things to work on.

OK, I think in a way you are on the right track, but in a way you may be looking to get on the wrong track.

If your teacher is teaching it, but there is simply not enough time in class to get to it regularly, then yes, keep practicing it on your own. BUT, practice what you have learned from him. That's the stuff that he can give you guidance on, and getting that guidance from him is important. So keep working on it.

However, looking for other, indirect sources to learn from, sources that cannot give you hands-on feedback and proper instruction such as internet, DVD, book, or long-distance learning from a teacher whom you have not even met, is the wrong track. Don't do it. It's a waste of time and all you are doing is enriching the person to whom you are sending all your money for such dubious instruction.

Stick with your instructor and what he is teaching you, even if it is scant at this time. Let him know you are really interested in it and would like to pursue it more deeply, and get instruction from him. Stick with it.

My favorite staff material is actually pretty simple stuff. Straight forward, brutal, effective, not fancy, but good solid stuff that actually works. Just keep working on it.