Kyung Hee University & Yong In University

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I noticed both schools have TKD-related degree programs. Does anyone know if there are advantages to one program over the other? Is admissions difficult for someone coming from the United States and is it necessary to be fluent in Korean to be academically successful there? (Are non-TKD classes conducted in Korean?)

Just a few basic questions on behalf of someone who might be interested in studying abroad for college.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a friend who graduated from the Yong-In Taekwondo program and another friend who graduated from Kyeong-Hee University's Judo program. My Judo friend likes to say that Kyeong-Hee is the best and that Yong-In is just more well known these days. Of course, he may be a bit biased. The athletes in both of these programs are Taekwondo animals!

I met one foreigner (Italian) who I believe has now graduated from Kyeong-Hee Univ. He was training at GM Kang Shin Chul's dojang (long-haired master from Revolution of Kicking vids). The Italian guy was also seen in the "Human Weapon" Taekwondo episode. He speaks Korean. I'm pretty sure you need to speak Korean to attend a Korean University Taekwondo program as a full-time student. i could be wrong though. There are some Uni programs here where Korean is not a requirement.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
I noticed both schools have TKD-related degree programs. Does anyone know if there are advantages to one program over the other? Is admissions difficult for someone coming from the United States and is it necessary to be fluent in Korean to be academically successful there? (Are non-TKD classes conducted in Korean?)

Just a few basic questions on behalf of someone who might be interested in studying abroad for college.

Try here for Kyunghee http://www.kyunghee.edu/international07_01.php

Yongin http://int.yongin.ac.kr/eng/academics/gs44_tkw.htm

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a friend who graduated from the Yong-In Taekwondo program and another friend who graduated from Kyeong-Hee University's Judo program. My Judo friend likes to say that Kyeong-Hee is the best and that Yong-In is just more well known these days. Of course, he may be a bit biased. The athletes in both of these programs are Taekwondo animals!

I met one foreigner (Italian) who I believe has now graduated from Kyeong-Hee Univ. He was training at GM Kang Shin Chul's dojang (long-haired master from Revolution of Kicking vids). The Italian guy was also seen in the "Human Weapon" Taekwondo episode. He speaks Korean. I'm pretty sure you need to speak Korean to attend a Korean University Taekwondo program as a full-time student. i could be wrong though. There are some Uni programs here where Korean is not a requirement.

Is it this Italian guy? He interviewed me and the KTA President for this NBC-1 Korea article. I heard him mumble something in Italian, so I started speaking Italian to him (I am from Little Italy, Cleveland). He told me about his training at Kyunghee-dae and training with GM Shin. I have his card here somewhere. He was working with the Korean camera man speaking Korean to the camera, speaking English and Italian to me and GM Danny Maker of Tahiti.

AlColeAppointmentKukkiwonKoreaTaekwondoKarateforKidsAdultsChardonMentorSelfDefenseBest.jpg
[/IMG]

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, same guy. He gets used from time to time for translation work on TV. I actually met him during a TV appearance at GM Kang's dojang. I think the producer chose to go to GM Kang's school because he had met the Italian guy on a previous episode of the same TV program.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, same guy. He gets used from time to time for translation work on TV. I actually met him during a TV appearance at GM Kang's dojang. I think the producer chose to go to GM Kang's school because he had met the Italian guy on a previous episode of the same TV program.

That's right, he was on that. My Taekkyon teachers, GM Yong Bok Lee and his son Si Hyeok were also on that show, I think it was the same episode.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yonsei might be a better choice for someone who does not speak korean. They have a korean language program that is pretty good.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a friend who graduated from the Yong-In Taekwondo program and another friend who graduated from Kyeong-Hee University's Judo program. My Judo friend likes to say that Kyeong-Hee is the best and that Yong-In is just more well known these days.

I understand that the majority of yudo practitioners, especially instructor level come from yong in now, which was the old yudo college. kyung hee dae is on top at the moment because the father of the current WTF president founded kyung hee university. Kyung Hee University is the Choue family business, with loyal alumni worldwide.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yonsei is pretty popular for Korean language study. The program is designed for students who wish to pursue further study in a regular Korean University department. Quite a few other universities have language programs, for example Sogang, Ewha Women's, and Seoul National. Many Korean universities have a Korean language requirement, such as passing the TOPIK exam to a certain level before the student can graduate. I have heard that students can complete much of their coursework in English these days. Some universities are even requiring their Korean faculty to lecture in English.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I believe the Korean Sports University has a foreign study program for Taekwondo. You might want to check that out.

aftab

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Keimyung University also has course in Taekwondo for foreigners - which is taught in English, run by Dr Lee,Kyu Hyung :)

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keimyung University also has course in Taekwondo for foreigners - which is taught in English, run by Dr Lee,Kyu Hyung :)

I think that program is known mainly for poomsae.

Latest Discussions