Kung Fu superstar game

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just came across this on another forum, just an short trailer of the game

http://www.kungfusuperstar.com/

The OP's take - The game is called Kung Fu Superstar and it's about a young aspiring martial artist who sets off on a journey to become Hollywood and Hong Kong's most loved and respected action hero. He does this by training in martial arts an endeavor that players themselves will experience through the course of the game. As this game has a motion control element however (Kinect, Move etc) the players themselves actually learn real martial arts through playing this game.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
[quoting OP] "... the players themselves actually learn real martial arts through playing this game."
Hmm ... regardless of the accuracy of the OP's statement, this looks like it could be fun.

mmartist

Green Belt
Reaction score
If they manage to make the Kineckt responsive enought this could be really fun. But the new Star Wars game (the one that was demonstrated on E3) was not impressive at all.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kinnect is really slow and not terribly accurate. I like the idea, but think they're better off waiting for the next kinnect generation to come out with xbox 720. The specs on that thing are pretty darn cool. (Yeah, I'm a programmer.)

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awaits the "can I learn wing chun from an xbox" thread.

Be interesting to see how these things develop with the next gen consoles etc, I wonder how real it can get.

Looking forward to it.

SuperFLY

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kinnect is really slow and not terribly accurate. I like the idea, but think they're better off waiting for the next kinnect generation to come out with xbox 720. The specs on that thing are pretty darn cool. (Yeah, I'm a programmer.)

nothing wrong with the kinect hardware, its poor optimisation of the software the games use.

when im playing your shape doing the cardio boxing it shows me just how accurate the detection is (although i have had to slow down some of my punches as it did miss a few on the block punching games) i've seen hacks of the software controlling other devices and it is super accurate and quick.

i played the star wars game and yeh.. the controls were clunky and unresponsive but dont blame the tech, blame the developers.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Looks great, responsiveness let it down for me but this could definately be very good.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
nothing wrong with the kinect hardware, its poor optimisation of the software the games use.

when im playing your shape doing the cardio boxing it shows me just how accurate the detection is (although i have had to slow down some of my punches as it did miss a few on the block punching games) i've seen hacks of the software controlling other devices and it is super accurate and quick.

i played the star wars game and yeh.. the controls were clunky and unresponsive but dont blame the tech, blame the developers.

SuperFLY,

Running Kinect through the API on windows has less lag than on a 360 where the game is being played. It's a matter of system resources, and a lot of other factors. Additionally, small tech demos always run fast, but making something meaningful for the masses (especially something to simulate the preciseness of wing chun)... I have serious doubts about the hardware. Most games that have been successful with it (fruit ninja, gunstringer, dance central) use large motions to define gesture control.

Kinnect is not a bad input device by any measure, I just have trouble seeing it working for something requiring this level of precision in this generation of hardware. Time will tell.

Latest Discussions