Chi use and manipulation in Wing Chun.

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understood some of it but you guys spoke too quickly for me:confused::)

Interested to watch again with subtitles.

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I think you would get much more feedback from the people on here if you sorted out subtitles before you posted the videos. Either that or write up a summary of what you were saying on the video when you post.
I mean, I think I can guess most of it as it looks very similar to how I demonstrate using structure ,relaxation and intent together to produce short range power.
I.E pulling up the spine, relaxing the muscles, making sure the wrist straightens out naturally at the end of the strike without artificially cocking it up or down ,etc,etc.
But like I said, this is all a guess as the only French I remember from school is numbers 1-10 :confused::)
I would love to have a discussion on these kinds of things, as I'm sure would most people on here, but it's difficult when I/we don't know exactly what's been said.
I mean, come on man! Don't you realise this is wing chun!! People get into arguments over the most stupid things when they DO speak the same language. LOL:wink1:

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I think you would get much more feedback from the people on here if you sorted out subtitles before you posted the videos. Either that or write up a summary of what you were saying on the video when you post.
I mean, I think I can guess most of it as it looks very similar to how I demonstrate using structure ,relaxation and intent together to produce short range power.
I.E pulling up the spine, relaxing the muscles, making sure the wrist straightens out naturally at the end of the strike without artificially cocking it up or down ,etc,etc.
But like I said, this is all a guess as the only French I remember from school is numbers 1-10 :confused::)
I would love to have a discussion on these kinds of things, as I'm sure would most people on here, but it's difficult when I/we don't know exactly what's been said.
I mean, come on man! Don't you realise this is wing chun!! People get into arguments over the most stupid things when they DO speak the same language. LOL:wink1:

All French ey?
Hmmmmmm, what's he trying to hide?
icon7.png

OP
P

poulperadieux

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Oki, I wanted to see if I had people interested here before doing the work.

I'll try to do it as quick and as good as I can.

WTchap

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes, it would be good to have the subtitles (my French is also very poor). But personally, I never liked thinking about WT (or any martial art) in terms of 'Chi'.

It is such a complex and debatable word :) Even within the three main internal arts, what Chi 'is' and how it is 'generated/used/issued' is open to debate (and argument). All without any real evidence or science to back it up.

I prefer to refer to WT power and use of force in terms of skeletal structure, the engagement and disengagement of certain muscles, the use of joints and connective tissues (tendons, etc), breathing to support movements, lines of force (i.e. best lines of attack for issuing force) etc.

If all of the above results in chi and its use - well, okay, that's cool. :ultracool

Latest Discussions