Kung Fu Books

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know this thread has been done before in different forums, but I would be interested in what some of you guys are reading, or have read in the past. This is specifically for books regarding kung fu or kung fu related subject matter.

I just recently started a book that I should have read years ago. My sifu just gave it to me to read, its called, "The Sword Polisher's Record: The Way of Kung Fu" by Adam Hsu. Anyone read it? So far its amazing! He puts into words what is hard for us to do...kung fu. I've never heard anyone put kung fu into words better. At least I haven't come across it yet.

7sm

J

j_m

7starmantis said:
I know this thread has been done before in different forums, but I would be interested in what some of you guys are reading, or have read in the past. This is specifically for books regarding kung fu or kung fu related subject matter.

I just recently started a book that I should have read years ago. My sifu just gave it to me to read, its called, "The Sword Polisher's Record: The Way of Kung Fu" by Adam Hsu. Anyone read it? So far its amazing! He puts into words what is hard for us to do...kung fu. I've never heard anyone put kung fu into words better. At least I haven't come across it yet.

7sm
That was the book that completely changed the way I new or looked at kung fu. Luckily I've had the opportunity to train with several of Adam Hsu's students who are living examples of every page in that book (save some of the the bits on history :p ). The combination of reading the book (several times) and training with these individuals (literally experiencing the book) has opened up a completely new world of kung fu for me. If there is anyone who has not read it I highly recommend it... obviously.

jm

A

archmagician

One of the instructors in my school recommended it to me. I own it and it is in my "too be read" pile. I have so many MA books and videos that it isnt funny. :D

Currently I am reading a book by B.K. Frantzis called "The Power of lnternal Martial Arts" and also a book by T.T Liang called "T'Ai Chi Ch'uan for Health and Self-Defense".

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One of my favourite books which I have read many times is "Tai Chi Training in China - Masters Teachers and Coaches" by Howard Thomas. The Tai Chi Journey of an English Tai Chi teacher who went to China in search of a Tai Chi Master. Its not a "How To" book, rather the story of an ordinary guy who went to China with no Chinese language and exchanged English language lessons for Taiji lessons. He was there during the Tiananmen Square period. An object lesson for everyone who thinks that if you are Chinese, you can do Taiji!!!!!! A lovely gentle story of real life in China and Gong fu training.

Best wishes

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another good one along those lines is "Iron & Silk". Its more on the kung fu side rather than taiji, but the book is more about his experiences with their culture. There is a movie as well, but the book is much better.

7sm

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I read that book a long time ago and then about a month or two ago was reading certain chapters again. It was a very well written book and puts kung fu into the pratical experience instead of how it is viewed alot of times with some of the myths that surround it.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Should of put some of these books on my wish list. Oh well, I have plenty of time to look for them and read about Kung-Fu. Sometimes reading something can deliver the message in a way nothing else can. Especially if you're an avid reader; beats watching t.v.

A---)

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7starmantis said:

7sm
I saw this thread shortly after is was started and wanted to order this book after reading your recommendation. Ironically, my sifu brought the book to class to loan to me about a week later. (I didn't mention it to him either. Go figure.) It was a book he recommended to the class a couple months ago along with some others and he just so happened to bring it to class for me to read at that time. I'm almost done with it and it is excellent. And while I already knew I was in a good school learning "real" kung-fu, it was nice to see the way we train validated in this book. I'm going to order a copy anyway because it's one I'll want to keep for future review.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sil Lum TigerLady said:
I saw this thread shortly after is was started and wanted to order this book after reading your recommendation. Ironically, my sifu brought the book to class to loan to me about a week later. (I didn't mention it to him either. Go figure.) It was a book he recommended to the class a couple months ago along with some others and he just so happened to bring it to class for me to read at that time. I'm almost done with it and it is excellent. And while I already knew I was in a good school learning "real" kung-fu, it was nice to see the way we train validated in this book. I'm going to order a copy anyway because it's one I'll want to keep for future review.
Thats really cool. Its such a great book. I like when he talks about fighting and says somethig like, "If you can see the hit, or the attack, its not kung fu". Thats so true, so many times people watch us fight, or I'll show my friends some of my testing videos, and they will see me take a hit and go down for a second or something and they will be like, "Why did you go down, that did even look like it hit you!". :)

7sm

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Thats really cool. Its such a great book. I like when he talks about fighting and says somethig like, "If you can see the hit, or the attack, its not kung fu". Thats so true, so many times people watch us fight, or I'll show my friends some of my testing videos, and they will see me take a hit and go down for a second or something and they will be like, "Why did you go down, that did even look like it hit you!". :)

7sm
Yeah. I just finished that chapter and it was eye opening to read. I'm a newbie. Been taking Kung-Fu for 1 year as of this week so I have much to learn. There are so many different styles and so many that claim to do Kung-Fu but when you learn what kung-fu really is you ,find most of what is out there "is not kung-fu".

It also helped me understand some things in my training better. I am still very "western" in my thinking and have a long history of watching western fighting sports (read:boxing;wrestling, etc.). I am slowly learning a new perspective. One that takes time and effort. I'm learning to have a "whole world view" and not be focused on only what's in front of me. I'm learning the whole body is a target and not just above the belt. I'm learning the multiple moves and follow-through vs. the strike, pull back, strike so common in western fighting. It's definitely a whole new way of thinking for me and I am enjoying the new knowledge and the challenge ahead of me in gaining real kung-fu fighting skills .

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sil Lum TigerLady said:
I'm a newbie. Been taking Kung-Fu for 1 year as of this week so I have much to learn.
Well, congradulations!! We all have much to learn, and your allready one year on your journey. :asian:

Sil Lum TigerLady said:
It also helped me understand some things in my training better. I am still very "western" in my thinking and have a long history of watching western fighting sports (read:boxing;wrestling, etc.). I am slowly learning a new perspective. One that takes time and effort. I'm learning to have a "whole world view" and not be focused on only what's in front of me. I'm learning the whole body is a target and not just above the belt. I'm learning the multiple moves and follow-through vs. the strike, pull back, strike so common in western fighting. It's definitely a whole new way of thinking for me and I am enjoying the new knowledge and the challenge ahead of me in gaining real kung-fu fighting skills .
Yes, isn't that amazing? Its so weird to start learning things and stepping away from an old way of thinking, I love it. I've been doing some type of kung fu for most of my life (only in the last several years have I found real kung fu) and I'm still too closed in my thinking about things like the whole body target and such! Good luck in your learning.

7sm

J

j_m

pete said:
a great book to read and re-read... the meaning magically changes while the words remain the same as your skill and knowlege grows with practice!

pete
There's also a book out now on the life of T.T. Liang called Steal My Art. It is an exccellent and entertaining book... especially if you have any of Master Liangs books.

Disclaimer - TigerLady's post made me think of this next part... I AM NOT pointing fingers at anyone here!

As for the Sword Polisher's Record, I know quite a few people who practice so-called "kung fu" that have read that book and believe that it validates thier own training methods... when in fact it does not. Sometime it goes completely against the grain... but they believe in what they do so feverishly that they easily twist and justify what they are doing is the same as what is in the book. I think, for me, the realization of it all become very clear when I was able to literally experience the book in my training.

Whats the point of that statement? I dunno. Maybe just make sure you keep an open mind, always try new things, and question everything!

Train smart!

jm

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
j_m said:
As for the Sword Polisher's Record, I know quite a few people who practice so-called "kung fu" that have read that book and believe that it validates thier own training methods... when in fact it does not. Sometime it goes completely against the grain... but they believe in what they do so feverishly that they easily twist and justify what they are doing is the same as what is in the book. I think, for me, the realization of it all become very clear when I was able to literally experience the book in my training.

jm
I understand what you're saying and I worded my statement poorly. I should have used your terminology in that I do experience the book in my training.

Since I have little comparison in kung-fu styles or much knowledge of other arts, it was good to get a handle on the things that identify true kung-fu fighting. Even the author states, "Looking for authentic kung-fu usage can be difficult. Kung-fu simply has too many styles and different ways to fight. Secondly no one in history ever learned all the different styles and then drew any conclusions that would lead to codifying kung-fu techniques." He then goes on to say that he offers some principles that differentiate kung-fu from other methods of fighting. So I was able to see that all the kung-fu principals he gave in the book I am experienceing in my training.

I agree it is important to train wisely. I got very lucky to find a good school. (Blue Ridge Kung-Fu Arnis Academy).

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:

7sm

i just finished reading that book last night (after like 5 months)
that books is certainly amazing. if i did not read this book i would not understand why we do certain things in KF, and martial arts in general.
I already did, but i am going to again advice you to read it. it's a great book.

i am looking forward to hearing about more advanced book. if you have any in mind please let me know.
the best for me would be books about mantis, 7 star mantis, or KF in general...

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of books, but they're primarily books containing forms. I got them to use as references to help me remember what I learned. I'm not sure how useful they'll be to people here, but I'll mention them since I'm checking in today.

"Shaolin Long Fist Kung Fu" by Yang Jwing-Ming and Jeffery A. Bolt contains some of the forms I learned in the classes I took a few years ago. It's somewhat different from what I learned, but essentially the same. There's some background information and most moves in the forms have some application descriptions.

"The Art of Shaolin Kung Fu" by Wong Kiew Kit is the other main book I have. As I recall, this is lighter on forms and heavier on basic information, background, techniques, etc. The general style seemed to be different from what I learned, but I think the basic information is still helpful.

I have a few other books, too. I know there's one on tan tui and a couple on long fist. The tan tui one was similar to what I learned, but the long fist ones were totally different. I have more books related to tai chi than kung fu because tai chi is my main interest.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How fortuitous! My first book, "The Making Of A Butterfly" has just recently been published and is now available in bookstore and Amazon.com. It's a collection of anecdotes involving my teacher (who passed on in 1971), my classmates, and me - and each story contains a particular lesson or concept. I figured that by putting this book together, my teacher could continue to reach out to new generations of martial arts practitioners.
Although my background is primarily in Chinese martial arts, the ideas set forth in this book are easily applicable to any martial art. It's not a "how-to" book, nor is it "style specific."

If you obtain a copy, let me know what you think! I look forward to many interesting discussions with the group here!

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
pstarr said:
How fortuitous! My first book, "The Making Of A Butterfly" has just recently been published and is now available in bookstore and Amazon.com. It's a collection of anecdotes involving my teacher (who passed on in 1971), my classmates, and me - and each story contains a particular lesson or concept. I figured that by putting this book together, my teacher could continue to reach out to new generations of martial arts practitioners.
Although my background is primarily in Chinese martial arts, the ideas set forth in this book are easily applicable to any martial art. It's not a "how-to" book, nor is it "style specific."

If you obtain a copy, let me know what you think! I look forward to many interesting discussions with the group here!
can you tell us more on what we should expect from reading this book?
like, forms, concepts, principles.... etc.

it looks like it got pretty good reviews. I'm down.
what did your master Mr. Chen teach?

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My teacher was a student of Zhan Zhaodong (Chan Chao-tung) who was a student of Cheng Ting-hua (who was one of the two foremost students of the founder of Baguazhang). Chen's senior classmate was Wang Shujin who eventually went to Japan to teach Taiji and Xingyi and became something of a legend.

Chen started off training in a form of northern Shao-lin kung-fu before he met Master Zhan. Zhan was already very proficient in Xingyi before he took up the study of Bagua - he taught Mr. Chen Xingyi first and then Bagua later.

Chen also practiced Yang-style Taijiquan.

So my training began with Baixingquan (the northern Shao-lin system), then Xingyi and Bagua, mainly.

The book contains stories involving subjects such as:
  • The connection between forms and fighting
  • The importance of courtesy
  • How weaponry impacts bare-handed skill
  • Hitting vital points
  • Rooting
-and so on. But it's not a "how to" book - it simply discusses certain elements of these subjects which, hopefully, give give the reader a reason to stop and think about how they can apply these ideas to his or her chosen discipline. There is valuable information in it and sometimes you have to "read between the lines."

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
pstarr said:
My teacher was a student of Zhan Zhaodong (Chan Chao-tung) who was a student of Cheng Ting-hua (who was one of the two foremost students of the founder of Baguazhang). Chen's senior classmate was Wang Shujin who eventually went to Japan to teach Taiji and Xingyi and became something of a legend.

Chen started off training in a form of northern Shao-lin kung-fu before he met Master Zhan. Zhan was already very proficient in Xingyi before he took up the study of Bagua - he taught Mr. Chen Xingyi first and then Bagua later.

Chen also practiced Yang-style Taijiquan.

So my training began with Baixingquan (the northern Shao-lin system), then Xingyi and Bagua, mainly.

The book contains stories involving subjects such as:
  • The connection between forms and fighting
  • The importance of courtesy
  • How weaponry impacts bare-handed skill
  • Hitting vital points
  • Rooting
-and so on. But it's not a "how to" book - it simply discusses certain elements of these subjects which, hopefully, give give the reader a reason to stop and think about how they can apply these ideas to his or her chosen discipline. There is valuable information in it and sometimes you have to "read between the lines."
Not a lot of people know their lineages. Kudos for that.

I think it's a good idea to look at things from different angles and perspectives. I think the book's idea is great. I hope it will be a great success for you and your future in the arts :)

Latest Discussions