BaGua the age won't stop him...

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
We always talk about internal Martial that can be used when we grow old. Now I don't think this 94 year old man could still defend himself against a young strong guy, coz I think he can barely move, but by golly he still surely knows how to use his Chi...

Last edited by a moderator:

bakxierboxer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We always talk about internal Martial that can be used when we grow old. Now I don't think this 94 year old man could still defend himself against a young strong guy, coz I think he can barely move, but by golly he still surely knows how to use his Chi...

Actually, you should look around the web to find that video of Lum Jo at a "meeting" at the age of 93 or so....

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the great thing about the internal arts is that the methods, exercises, and practice that you use to fight are the same methods, exercises, and practice that will improve the quality of your overall health and longevity.

check this one out (and be sure to read the comments)

pete

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the great thing about the internal arts is that the methods, exercises, and practice that you use to fight are the same methods, exercises, and practice that will improve the quality of your overall health and longevity.

check this one out (and be sure to read the comments)

pete
oops! here's the link:

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
oops! here's the link:

Wow pete, thanks for delivering the bulk inspiration contained in that clip!
icon7.gif
A few years back i went to a ba gua seminar taught by Liu Jingru... he was 67 then and still so strong and supple in his movements. I really got a bit of a taste then of the long-term health benifits of pursuing this art.

About that other clip though... something is happening, but i'm not quite sure what. I've seen lots of those demos where the "master" appears to push the students back about a metre by barely moving and i have to say i'm sceptical. What do others think... a fraud or is it plausible? Has anyone been on the recieving end of something like this "technique"?

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A few years back i went to a ba gua seminar taught by Liu Jingru... he was 67 then and still so strong and supple in his movements. I really got a bit of a taste then of the long-term health benifits of pursuing this art.
you are fortunate~ i understand he doesn't travel much anymore, maybe only to Italy because he likes it there, so one would now have to go to the mountain. i rely on my teacher's annual trip to beijing where he trains with Liu Jing Ru and brings back the good stuff to teach the rest of us. maybe after i get my 2 kids through college i can scrap up some dough and go with him. from my teachers reports, as of january, Liu is still in 'fighting shape'.

pete.

chengallenliu.jpe

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
you are fortunate~ i understand he doesn't travel much anymore, maybe only to Italy because he likes it there, so one would now have to go to the mountain. i rely on my teacher's annual trip to beijing where he trains with Liu Jing Ru and brings back the good stuff to teach the rest of us. maybe after i get my 2 kids through college i can scrap up some dough and go with him. from my teachers reports, as of january, Liu is still in 'fighting shape'.

pete.

Double wow! That's great to hear that he's still kicking on. I used to train at the Ziranmen academy, (website is www.ziranmen.com) the school of Grandmaster Liu's student Liu Deming, that's how i came to attend the seminar. I still practice my 100 steps ba gua qigong, it's such a nice conditioning set!
icon7.gif

So is that yr teacher in the pic with Liu Jingru? Does he train the 6 harmony praying mantis and liu he stuff with him as well?

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
qi-tah said:
So is that yr teacher in the pic with Liu Jingru? Does he train the 6 harmony praying mantis and liu he stuff with him as well?

yes, that is frank allen in the pic from last year's beijing training trip. to my knowledge he concentrates on bagua and xingyi, and not any of his other stuff.

OP
charyuop

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Pete, I had seen that vido last year on Kungfu magazine forum and they said now that Master is 110ish and still kicking. Anyway this video is more complete, many old Bagua masters. I don't do Bagua so to me they are unknown, but I am sure to many of Bagua practitioners they are well known.

About that other clip though... something is happening, but i'm not quite sure what. I've seen lots of those demos where the "master" appears to push the students back about a metre by barely moving and i have to say i'm sceptical. What do others think... a fraud or is it plausible? Has anyone been on the recieving end of something like this "technique"?

I have a cowarker Martial Artists (MMA) who makes fun of me coz even tho I do Tai Chi and Aikido I do not believe in Chi. No way I could ever believe in a "no touch throw", but I was very skeptical in those throws that you have seen in that clip. I got to fully trust my Sensei and I know he wouldn't tell BS just to show off. He told me that he himself felt those kinda throws on his persona done by his Sensei (Saotome Sensei). I put this video of Ikeda Sensei (another one of my Sense's Sensei) where he held a Semianr right on this subject. He doesn't call it Ki or Chi, but for a better general understanding he calls it a reduction of the movements...always smaleer till the point an eye can lo longer see it (human eye can see only a certain amount of frames per minute, after that you miss what happens).
Look at the minute 1:50. You wanna call it Chi? Or like Ikeda Sensei says it is a matter of time space and movement? However you define it, it exists and many people experienced it.

Latest Discussions