kukiwon problems?

Muwubu16858

Green Belt
Reaction score
What is everyone's take on all the corruption that has gone on in the kukiwon? How do you think this will effect TKD in the US?

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you'll need to be a lot more specific than that to get any kind of specific answer. Your question reads like like a baseless slam against a global organization. "All the corruption"!?
First back up what you're talking about with facts, then ask your question.

jim

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I think that in any major organization that has thousands upon thousands of people in it that there probably will be some for of corruption. Does it make it right, no! However I imagine that the South Korean Government and this organization are working hard to correct these problems.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
However I imagine that the South Korean Government and this organization are working hard to correct these problems.

Hi Brian, I am curious as to specifically which problems exist today that you feel the South Korean govt and the KKW are working hard to correct?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is everyone's take on all the corruption that has gone on in the kukiwon? How do you think this will effect TKD in the US?

I am not aware of any corruption or scandal involving the Kukkiwon.

Dr. Un Yong Kim was at one time president of both Kukkiwon and the World Taekwondo Federation and he was prosecuted for corruption and claimed his prosecution was politically-motivated. This was several years ago.

Today there are separate Presidents of these organizations-GM Woon Kyu Uhm, the Chung Do Kwan Jang is also Kukkiwon President. The president of the WTF is Chungwon Choue whose background was in academia.

Miles

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Brian, I am curious as to specifically which problems exist today that you feel the South Korean govt and the KKW are working hard to correct?

Mango.man I will step in here for a bit Ok, first off the mis-use of funds secondly the buying of rank before certain people have the legitimate time frame for advancement. The latter be the most outragious of them all, I have seen people get there first and withen three years they are a 4th because they know the right people. Also how can someone claim to be a 7th when the KKW has a certain age requirement and at 40 that is just not the right age. They are working on getting these problem resolved and hopefully they will.

The last thing is losing certain people records after a spatt with a GM that is prominenet and once they where KKW certified are know lost in the paperwork and are no longer certified. This type of thing has been happening since the eighties so nothing new just old news and trying to resolve it is even older.
Thanks
Master Stoker

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I find this whole question a bit... strange. In just ways would you expect incidents of corruption in a global organization like the KKW to `effect [sic] TKD in the US'? What aspects of TKD are you thinking of? And why the US in particular? After all, the KKW's technical and rank-certification roles extend to many countries, and MT's membership is seriously international.

Is there some specific connection between the KKW's problems on the one hand and `TKD in the US' on the other that you have in mind? Or is the original post instead intended as flamebait? I hope not, because that sort of thing does't play too well on this board.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Whatever problems the Kukkiwon has/had must largely be in the past, because my GM is again sending Dan aplications to Korea for certification. Previously, when the Kukkiwon was indeed having problems involving embezzling by Dr. Kim and various other scandals, he was issuing his own certificates to Dan testers. He is Kukkiwon 9th Dan, so it's not like that is really a problem. But as far as I know, he is once again going through the KKW for certificates. Which tells me he is once again comfortable with how things are going.
I think having two separate Presidents for the KKW and the WTF is one of the best things they could have done and long overdue. I can't think of a better person for KKW President than GM Mr. Uhm.

OP
Muwubu16858

Muwubu16858

Green Belt
Reaction score
My teacher recieves 4 weeks worth of the taekwondo newspaper from Seoul once a month, andevery issue is about continued corruption, misapropriation of funds between the Taekwondo orgs and the contractors building a Taekwondo Park in Seoul, and the taking of Dan promotion money by workers into their pockets still continues. My teacher keeps telling me that with all the continued problems in the kukiwon, that within the next decade, it will fold up. That is why he had me change over my kukiwon certificates to the U.S. Taekwondo Grandmaster Society ( http://www.usgrandmasters.com/home.htm )
The society has been meeting for quite some time, and is preparing to take over certification and such in the event the kukiwon does fold.
I'm not saying anything other that what my teacher has told me and shown me in these newspapers.

Latest Discussions