kubotan dual

D

Deleted member 39746

Judged by 12 to be carried by 6 when the sentence is death. Worth noting capital punishment is still around in some countries.

Serious response: the blunted Kubatons, i think look a little less weaponry so you MIGHT be able to get away with them as a key fob or something. If you want a stabbing improv weapon i would suggest a pen or something though. i would place them as the better than nothing criteria if you need a weapon.

You might just be better off carrying a flashlight, its like a kubaton in hitting, but you can blind people with it and also use it to see at night and its not a weapon so many people wont take it off you/overlook it. Pending design anyway.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Attach keys to lanyard and voila....keychain

BK4930.jpg

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are alot of attorneys out there that do not practice criminal law or aren'tknowledgeable in self defense but love to give advice on it.....and it's usually worthless.

I once argued with an attorney for 30-40 minutes on a self defense case before he admitted he had never read Graham v. Conor. Everything he said went directly against that ruling.

So if you are going to get advice....make sure the person has a background in it and is knowledgeable.
I always get a laugh when someone has a family friend who happens to be an attorney "do them a favor." They don't know the rules, they don't know the regular deals... Usually, the prosecutors take pity on them... before they send their client up th river.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I am not sure if any one considered the laws are possibly different in different places my instructor did say it could potentially be assessed as a deadly weapons charge his wife is also a martial arts instructor and a lawyer

And when I asked a police officer he said that the court will have to make the decisions on what will be accessed is this not true? I mean if I want l legal advice is it not truly the best advice to ask an attorney? I mean it would seem this is not the appropriate forum for legal advice?( Not All countries have the same laws)

I basing my opinion on what my instructor and a police officer told me sorry if not everyone agrees but some times people dis agree on things can we agree that this is not a legal advice forum and if I am worried perhaps I should seek legal counsel? Pehaps we will have to agree to disagree and move on please? Thank you
It's a complicated question. But I'm not aware of any jurisdiction that requires martial artists to register, or automatically assumes their hands are "deadly weapons."

Attorneys are great sources for legal advice. But it has to be in the scope of their practice, because most have -- at best! -- a single class on criminal law in law school. There's a difference between a finish carpenter and a rough carpenter and a cabinetmaker... even though they all use similar tools to shape wood. Same thing with attorneys; a patent lawyer is not a criminal lawyer...

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well I am not sure if any one considered the laws are possibly different in different places my instructor did say it could potentially be assessed as a deadly weapons charge his wife is also a martial arts instructor and a lawyer

And when I asked a police officer he said that the court will have to make the decisions on what will be accessed is this not true? I mean if I want l legal advice is it not truly the best advice to ask an attorney? I mean it would seem this is not the appropriate forum for legal advice?( Not All countries have the same laws)

I basing my opinion on what my instructor and a police officer told me sorry if not everyone agrees but some times people dis agree on things can we agree that this is not a legal advice forum and if I am worried perhaps I should seek legal counsel? Pehaps we will have to agree to disagree and move on please? Thank you
You are 100% correct this is not the appropriate forum to get legal advise from. Hmm, going to a MA forum for legal advise. Do you go to a dance forum for you medical advise?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pepper spary is not incredibly dangerous just because you have the thing does not mean you have to use it
Maybe not dangerous as far as long lasting effects are concerned.
Have you been sprayed with pepper spray yet? If not, you need to try it before making such a ludicrous statement.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, you should talk to an attorney. One who is not related to a martial artist, and who practices criminal law. What the officer told you sounds like he was humoring your question. I've talked to a number of LEO and attorneys from different places, and have yet to find one (though one might well exist) where martial arts training classified empty-hand as a weapon, legally. It could be considered a factor in what charge is brought, but absent a weapon, there's no weapons charge in any location I'm aware of.

Back to the question of the kubotan. I have some training with one, and could make some use of it. I'm not sure it's worth it, unless you can carry it in a quick-draw sheath. The value is transitory (some things are better empty-handed), but it can reinforce some locks and pins, and can serve to harden a punch (though I'm not convinced this is good for the puncher). Unless you're well trained in its use, the kubotan is just a stick that gets in the way. Adding another to the end just means there's even more stuff in the way.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you get into trouble any thing will be better than nothing is it true?
Only if you know how to use it well. For most folks who carry a kubotan, it will actually be worse than not having it - it's a fairly technical little weapon that doesn't add much advantage to untrained users.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I DON'T know about where you are but most deadly or dangerous weapons are illegal hear it think I will take my chances with the kubotan rather than be caught unarmed
In almost every situation, there's something lying about that's a better weapon than a kubotan.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok. This is a cute little tactical torch that I picked up the other day. It has little cookie cutters on the front so if I hammer fist someone in the face with it I am sure it will hurt. (Issues there if I don't want someone running to the cops with no face. )

20190703_205505.jpg

This is as much of a dark alley as I could be bothered with.
20190703_205328.jpg

And this is the real self defense value of my little torch. I can see a bad guy from a hundred meters and run away.
20190703_205335.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. This is a cute little tactical torch that I picked up the other day. It has little cookie cutters on the front so if I hammer fist someone in the face with it I am sure it will hurt. (Issues there if I don't want someone running to the cops with no face. )

View attachment 22311

This is as much of a dark alley as I could be bothered with.
View attachment 22312

And this is the real self defense value of my little torch. I can see a bad guy from a hundred meters and run away.
View attachment 22313
The "tactical" flashlights (how did "flashlight" become a word for something that is, really, an electric replacement for a torch???) has changed the market so much, it's hard to find a usable small light that doesn't have the "cookie cutter" at the tip. Personally, I prefer not to have them, so the danged thing is less likely to be viewed as an intentional weapon. As you said, the light is the really important function.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The "tactical" flashlights (how did "flashlight" become a word for something that is, really, an electric replacement for a torch???) has changed the market so much, it's hard to find a usable small light that doesn't have the "cookie cutter" at the tip. Personally, I prefer not to have them, so the danged thing is less likely to be viewed as an intentional weapon. As you said, the light is the really important function.

I would rubberized it so it doesn't leave marks.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

The 'tactical' torches are a bit of a grey legal area here, so there are plenty on the market with a plain rounded lip over the lens (really just enough to protect the glass if dropped).

Try searching for something like "18650 rechargeable" or simply "LED" torch - and use the word torch instead of flashlight - and you're more likely to get hits for units designed for the UK market ;)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 'tactical' torches are a bit of a grey legal area here, so there are plenty on the market with a plain rounded lip over the lens (really just enough to protect the glass if dropped).

Try searching for something like "18650 rechargeable" or simply "LED" torch - and use the word torch instead of flashlight - and you're more likely to get hits for units designed for the UK market ;)
Good idea - I'll give that a shot!

D

Deleted member 39746

The only real issue presented in torch territory i have been made aware of, if it has those bevels on the end. Someone might look at them and go "nope" and take it off you if you are going somewhere they do weapons checks or something. Hell sticking a mag light in your car to hit people with is a good idea, you have a legal defence for carrying it and it makes a handy club.

Your probably only going to get into dangerous weapon territory and not deadly though as its not designed to maim. :p (pending how it works in your area of course)