KT:Cover Step

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Cover Step
By michaeledward - 11-14-2008 04:48 PM
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

I am looking at the Encyclopedia of Kenpo and the Kenpo Journal and the definition of 'cover'.
The repositioning of your body into a protective pose while creating distance between you and your opponent.

This is usually done by shifting the forward leg to the opposite side as you turn and face the opposite direction.

A notable characteristic using this maneuver, when used as an exercise, and depending on the lead leg, is that you will continue to move laterally, away from your original stance.

By this definition, a cover is a maneuver that changes direction 180°. Although I have scanned these two resources, I see no definition for a maneuver that changes direction less than, or more than 180°.

The definition I have been more familiar with is:
Cover - Changes direction without gaining or losing distance.
This definition works for the 'other' angle changes in Short 1, for instance; where we change direction by 90°. I have often used "180" and "90" as adjectives for the term 'cover'.

But, we also have maneuvers in our forms and techniques that change angles at other degrees. For instance, when we 'off angle' against a roundhouse kick, we move 45°. In Long 2, as we move from the second upward block, to the first downward block, we change direction 135°. There seem to be many examples of direction changes that do not gain or lose distance, that do not fit the initial definition. Which brings me to two questions (to start).

Is there a term to describe these 'other than 180° angle changes'? And / or how do you describe them?

The first definition above says the maneuver 'creates distance'. How? I can understand that I am not exposing my center line to an obscure weapon, by moving the foot that is most distant from the direction I will be facing, but the stance does not get deeper, so my center line can not be moving away from anything (A cover is not a switch, after all).

As always, I am interested in your thoughts.

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Latest Discussions