Krav Maga Progression.

pudding11591

White Belt
Reaction score
Just a quick question. Krav Maga is my first martial art and people say you progress through the belts/levels faster. What would average progression be in Krav Maga and what would the average progression be in a martial art like Karate and Tae Kwon Doe?
Also, what colors are the Krav Maga belts?
Thanks everyone.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for Krav Maga -- but there's no real consistent answer to your question across martial arts. Some have only a couple of belts, and you progress slowly, taking a year or more per belt. Others also only have a few belts -- but you get to black belt quickly, and that's when your learning really begins. And some have belts and testing every month... and about a zillion belts, too. Personally, the style I train in only has 4 belts. I moved quickly through the first 3... and I was a brown belt for several years.

Rather than worry about how fast you're getting belts, consider whether you're comfortable with the way your skill is progressing. Are you learning material you're confident you can use, that suits your needs? If progression controls which class you can attend, like in some schools, do you feel that you're moving towards the next class at a reasonable rate? Expect to plateau sometimes, and even regress, but if you feel that, overall, you're moving forward, you're probably fine.

OP
P

pudding11591

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you. I am not worried about my progression. I know I can't go into the gym and come out right away a black belt. It will take time and I am willing to wait that time and work for my goals. I am just curious as to averages. I know everyone is different and time progression is different, just averages, you know? Curiosity. haha.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. I am not worried about my progression. I know I can't go into the gym and come out right away a black belt. It will take time and I am willing to wait that time and work for my goals. I am just curious as to averages. I know everyone is different and time progression is different, just averages, you know? Curiosity. haha.
If you use the search function on terms like "rank" or "belt" or "progression", you'll probably see that there's no real way to make an average.

At a very loose guess, maybe 2 to 3 years for a commercial school black belt in TKD, etc. But, depending on the program involved, there are legitimate 1 year black belts, too. (I don't think anyone would question the qualifications of a Yoshinkan Aikido Police Program black belt!) For less commercial schools -- maybe 3 to 5 (or even longer!) as a sort of guideline... But those numbers are really just guesses. You won't get a black belt in my system in less than 5 years, unless someone cooks the books a little, for example, because the black belt requirements START with "5 years training."

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many Krav Maga schools don't have uniforms or belt ranks...their ranking often denotes who is an instructor and who isn't.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a quick question. Krav Maga is my first martial art and people say you progress through the belts/levels faster. What would average progression be in Krav Maga and what would the average progression be in a martial art like Karate and Tae Kwon Doe?
Also, what colors are the Krav Maga belts?
Thanks everyone.

As others have said, getting the material down, being able to have a solid understanding of it, and being able to make it work is more important than any belt. As for the other questions you had, it may be a good idea to talk with your instructor about the belts and progression, as it may vary from place to place. I did find these links though:

http://www.miamikravmaga.com/faq.htm

http://www.kravmagadfw.com/curriculum.html

The 2nd link goes into a bit more detail about the ranks and required material.

Mike

Latest Discussions