Kosutemi Seieikan - Weapons

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, got it. I transcribed the video and practiced it over the las couple evenings. Yes, it is kind of dull; but, nonetheless, I have to crawl before I can leap tall buildings.

Competition this Sunday. I'll use this bo kata as well as Fugyugata Ni and sparring to be entered in all three areas and compete for Grand Champion.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good luck, Egg! As always I'm sure you'll have fun.

I think it's fine to know a more advanced bo kata. However for the competition I wouldn't say it would help you.

I always look for the same 5 elements in a kata: Power, Focus, Concentration, Balance, and Form. This would apply to Bo Ichi or some Matrix/Uber-Jedi kata.

The very nature of a more advanced kata means it's harder to get all 5 elements incorporated properly. Therefore, I've had to score some beginners lower for a more advanced kata than for, say, Bo Ichi.

I appreciate their determination but also consider it may be only ego. Either the kata performance is good or it's not. In that respect Bo Ichi is a great place to start.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm as guilty as the next person of wanting to do the really cool stuff ASAP; but, honestly, if I maintain a sense of wonder no matter where my training is, I will be happy and feel cool.

When the time is right for me, I'll be doing the Matrix/Uber-Jedi kata and hanging in the air like Trinity. In the meantime, I'm Ichi all over and that's good, too.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep, I agree. Eh, you should work all your katas consistently anyway.

So, the first bo kata you learned should pretty much always be the one you've done the most. My sensei, at 3rd degree black, won the Men's Black Belt Weapon Division against 9 competitors using Bo Ichi.

He wanted to show that it was the person who makes the kata, not the other way around. he was right.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all. Does anyone have nunchaku ichi on video? I have forgotten the kata and would like to work in it. I do not have the time to travel to Soke Madden's Honbu dojo. Let me know if anyone has a copy. Perhaps we could trade. I know several other kobudo kata.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, TS. Recieving a belt has been delayed largely because I wanted to spend the $40 for AKJU membership on Christmas and, just as much, because I wanted to observe the organization some before I aligned with it as a member. I'm already at yellow level, so I've been told, and will recieve that belt when I cough up the dough, The next real test will be blue.

Honestly, the chucks are searching for this 'weak spot' because I'm doing a reverse shoulder pass and I know I shouldn't be practicing that, yet. I suspect it's some form of reminder that I shouod practice what I should practice and not extend myself beyond that. Maybe, they're magic chucks?

could not say with out watching you use them. but personaly i hate nunchucku. lousy weapon! that would be my last choice for a weapon.

wolf1454

White Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know the founder of "bo ichi" from Ko Sutemi Sei Kan or even anything conserning it's origins.
My Sensei has me researching my weapons katas.

Latest Discussions