Korean term- help!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does anyone here know the korean term for respect, and how to pronounce it? I need to know it for a test (several months away). I asked my instructor, but I just can't seem to get it right. It's easier for me to see the word.

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, you two. I knew there was a website or two somewhere, but couldn't remember.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Miles said:
Neat website Shesulsa, BTW, "you make the rockin' world go round." (Are you a fan of the rock group Queen?)
As much of one as I can be at 40 and busy and with no more Mercury. Yourself?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
As much of one as I can be at 40 and busy and with no more Mercury. Yourself?

Absolutely! I miss Freddie too! My kids (18 and 12) are even hooked on Queen after years of listening to my CDs in the car...

Miles

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
Thanks, you two. I knew there was a website or two somewhere, but couldn't remember.

You're welcome. I know someone posted a site somewhere too about Korean english version. I knew you couldn't use the Hangul characters. I think I just printed it instead of saving the site. TW

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
Does anyone here know the korean term for respect, and how to pronounce it? I need to know it for a test (several months away).

R-E-S-P-E-C-T, found out what it means to me . . . lol

Hi tkdgirl. I hope this isn't too late, but I didn't know if you got anyone to help you with the pronunciation of the Korean term for Respect. The others who posted before me gave excellent resources for finding the word, but I thought you might mispronounce it based on the way it is written.

&#51316;&#44221; << (ignore the underline ____ it's not part of the hangul)

"Jon Gyung"

The top letter of the first sylable on the left is the "J." Under that is the horizontal line with a prong on top that represents the long "O" in the English language as in "Boat." The bent line under that is the letter "N". Thus the first sylable &#51316; "Jon" is pronounced like the lady's name "Joan" and not like the man's name "John."

The first curved line of the second sylable is the letter "K" or "G." Depending on the dialect, a soft "K" as in "Kick" might be used at the beginning, but usually at the end of a sylable. Most will start each new sylable with the harder "G" as in "Go."

The vertical line with the two prongs to the left represent the vowel "UH" or "EO." There are a few different ways to write the translation, but it should not be confused with the long "U" as in "Luke" or "Beautiful." It sounds more like the "U" in "UP" which I usually represent with the "UH." However, since this vertical line has two prongs instead of one, the vowel is preceded by the letter "Y". Thus it becomes "YUH."

The circle at the bottom represents the "NG" ending sound as in "I sing, I sang, and I have sung."

Thus the second sylable &#44221; can be written as "Gyung" or "Gyeong," but is pronounced more like "Gyuhng." Without the "G" at the beginning, this sylable would be pronounced like the opposite meaning of old, if a person is "young."

Therefore, you should read "Jon Gyung" as "Joan Gyuhng" if that is of any help. If not, well then, please disregard this post, and I'll go beat myself with a pair of nunchakku for a while. :erg:

Respectfully,
Sr. Master Eisenhart