Knife defenses by a 12 year-old.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Get a marker and tell him to use his techniques when you attack him with it like a real knife.

After he has lines on his arms and neck and little blots on his belly and throat, you can pull out an anatomy chart and tell him what these marks would mean n real life.

That'll do it...

wrc619

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I can easily envision a typical 12 year old hearing, "Run like hell" (or a more appropriate version of that lesson) 100 times, and then working knife defense 3 times and thinking, "Damn. That was cool."

The kids in the class I help with hear escape a lot. Instructor emphasizes that escape is our primary defense. I agree with the above. The instructor may have shown a knife defense after emphasizing that getting gone is always the best defense.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
The kids in the class I help with hear escape a lot. Instructor emphasizes that escape is our primary defense. I agree with the above. The instructor may have shown a knife defense after emphasizing that getting gone is always the best defense.
Well perhaps......but because the escape advice is good does not justify the zero percentage knife defense.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
what if a kid pulls a knife at school...??? what if a kid pulls a gun at...??? school....

do you teach them to become ''game" or "no value targets" ????

what they are taught and influenced to learn as a child resonates into teen and adult years.... society and media will also play a hige role in teaching them to run and hide rather than combat the problem....

what if they see it happening to another child??? we teach them to run and get help...instead of combat the problem....we teach them to become negligible to others.... they should learn that it is out job as a society to protect one another... not law enforcement or the court.... if children learn this way there wouldnt be such terrible tragedies like columbine or virginia tech where they literally had to wait until the opposition shot themself for the killing to stop....
our society is weak and afraid becuase we make it that way.... we try to run or cry and hope that the law comes or that justice will be served in court....

train your kids to understand the reality and anatomy of the blade and the gun.... they must know how it works and how to use them...... they must know how not to use them.... they must see it in action and see the effects.... if you cannot do this or are uncomfortable...then [please explain to the kids getting these blets and going thrugh all these motions that this stuff is not designed to save your life or a loved one....it is merely social and for sport and competitive purposes only

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
what if a kid pulls a knife at school...??? what if a kid pulls a gun at...??? school....

do you teach them to become ''game" or "no value targets" ????

what they are taught and influenced to learn as a child resonates into teen and adult years.... society and media will also play a hige role in teaching them to run and hide rather than combat the problem....

what if they see it happening to another child??? we teach them to run and get help...instead of combat the problem....we teach them to become negligible to others.... they should learn that it is out job as a society to protect one another... not law enforcement or the court.... if children learn this way there wouldnt be such terrible tragedies like columbine or virginia tech where they literally had to wait until the opposition shot themself for the killing to stop....
our society is weak and afraid becuase we make it that way.... we try to run or cry and hope that the law comes or that justice will be served in court....

train your kids to understand the reality and anatomy of the blade and the gun.... they must know how it works and how to use them...... they must know how not to use them.... they must see it in action and see the effects.... if you cannot do this or are uncomfortable...then [please explain to the kids getting these blets and going thrugh all these motions that this stuff is not designed to save your life or a loved one....it is merely social and for sport and competitive purposes only
Actually I believe in teaching my children how to respond to all weapons in time. However that's a far cry from teaching EVERY child who comes to a class.

You're right about teaching what works......if you're not going to teach something that works, don't teach anything at all. It's better to teach nothing than teach wrong.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually I believe in teaching my children how to respond to all weapons in time. However that's a far cry from teaching EVERY child who comes to a class.

You're right about teaching what works......if you're not going to teach something that works, don't teach anything at all. It's better to teach nothing than teach wrong.

+1

and yes... it is definately not intended for everyone who walks through that door

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's not just grown-ups the kids have to watch for. It's kids too. A lot of people never really view kids as threats to other kids, despite the fact that there have been many school shootings and more than a few knifings and certainly many attacks with blunt objects. We can't control that these things happen. we might as well do our best for these kids (for whom running is not always an option) and teach them effective weapon defense.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Teaching my nephews/nieces or friends kids is very different then just anyone who walks in off he street.

I was up talking to a friend of mine about classes in small business and his student intern was listening in, I told him to come into the office and listen there it is better. He smiled and said that he was thinking of opening a club one day as well. I told him his business model would be different as he most likely would be teaching kids and I do not teach 10 year old's how to knife fight.

At some of the larger seminars where younger people / kids have been present. I try to walk around and talk to them and also talk to their parents. If I am going to cover anything with a knife. I tell them that if they do not want their child learning that now, I will work with the child after the day is over to give him/her something else. None have not wanted their child to be exposed, but I wanted to offer the parents the option so they would not feel like they had to participate with their children. Although if children are there I really prefer that the parents are there as well to see and understand what their child is learning.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
the style I study does not allow any one under 18 to test for shodan ho.. ( probationary black belt) there are a lot of reasons, some of them the way most courts and others look at any one who has a black belt. so I would say that I do not argree with the situation from that point to began with ... as to blades and teaching knife defense to a 12 year old, no I dont think so, run yes .. but well size and things are against him or her at that age.. escape is more likely a way to survive at that age.

Hyper_Shadow

Green Belt
Reaction score
IMO on knife defenses for that age group... there's only one technique should be taught: turn and run like hell.

I think that applies to everyone, not just kids. Sometimes your life is worth more than your pride.

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Agreed,

Every now and then, while teaching applications and real-world self-protection, I make sure to remind my students that one of the best techniques to know is how to turn and run.

One of the 'codes' I used to have to repeat at the school I came from was "No Retreat In Battle". I always disagreed with that completely. I want my students to live. Sometimes your opponent will be armed or there will be multiple opponents or your opponent may just have the upper hand. To quote Master Jay S. Penfil, "I'd rather hear you tell me the story of how you got away then hear from your parents when the funeral is going to be held". Honor and standing up for what is right is truly important, but so is survival.

So then why do we teach any weapons defense? Because sometimes you're not going to have the choice to run away. You may be cornered, you may be taken to close range before you had time to react, there may be someone else for whom you are fighting and retreat may be at their demise... That list can probably go on.

Everyone should know defense and protection techniques. Children should know defense as well. But teaching knife and bladed weapons to children can be dangerous and must be done thoughtfully by the instructor.

Latest Discussions