Knee on belly -> pain on chest

callMeHawkEye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hi guys!

i loooovvveeee bjj so much. so i was having a great roll last week but i got pinned by a pretty big brown belt. He was pretty big around 240lbs or so. And he put knee on belly right below my solar plexus. I flexed my abs and gritted through it- managed to shrimp out and stuff... before he tapped me...
But in the following days my left chest- right below the ribs - near where the abs insert has been hurting. I am not sure if it is a strain or other injury. Now i can not even flex my abs to do a pull up. And my left side shrimp hurts some.
Has anyone else experienced similar kind of pain from a knee on belly?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. If you make a big enough poo face you can pop a rib or something.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Knee on belly can be a real pain in the butt in the early years. Frustrating as all get out.

It changes, though. Stick with it, it teaches you a lot.

OP
C

callMeHawkEye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Knee on belly can be a real pain in the butt in the early years. Frustrating as all get out.

It changes, though. Stick with it, it teaches you a lot.
have your ribs or abs hurt from it before?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I have seen people hurt their ribs from just straining and contorting to hard.

You can dislocate your rib not necessarily from the knee ride but from the effort of escaping it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

No, but by the time I experienced knee on belly was after twenty years of intense core work.

Probably be good to do a good core program, and try to find a lighter, rather than heavier, training partner for knee on belly. All under an experienced instructor of course.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, we've all been there. First time it happened to me my rib area was hurting for days.

What's your rank? Honestly if you're a white belt I don't necessarily agree with a brown belt of that size doing that to a beginning student.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
hi guys!

i loooovvveeee bjj so much. so i was having a great roll last week but i got pinned by a pretty big brown belt. He was pretty big around 240lbs or so. And he put knee on belly right below my solar plexus. I flexed my abs and gritted through it- managed to shrimp out and stuff... before he tapped me...
But in the following days my left chest- right below the ribs - near where the abs insert has been hurting. I am not sure if it is a strain or other injury. Now i can not even flex my abs to do a pull up. And my left side shrimp hurts some.
Has anyone else experienced similar kind of pain from a knee on belly?

Sounds like a hernia. Many of them go away with time, but sometimes you may need to get it clipped.
Is the solar plexus inflamed? Although the hernia is usually in the abdomen or the solar plexus, the pain can sometimes be felt on nearby areas of the body; my sister had a hernia, and, if am not mistaken which I could be, they can be caused by an excess strain of the abdominal muscles like you described.

Latest Discussions