Oooooh, Me Aching Knees.

K

KenpoGirl

Guest
As you may or may not be aware, very recently I have started back to training on a full time basis. I quit for a year and a half because of a partially torn ACL in my left knee.

The thing is after training for about a week and a half, it's my RIGHT knee that's really bugging me. Don't get me wrong the LEFT still hurts, but I'm use to that pain. But I didn't expect the right one to hurt. I'm a little puzzled by this.

So what I'm here for is to ask if you have any "Knee Saving" tips, to improve strength in the knees without doing anymore damage?
Any ideas will be appreciated.

Dot
:asian:
 
OP
S

sweeper

Guest
ok 'm not a doctor but from my understanding of physiology that woudn't be directly posable, to strengthen the injured tissue you would genneraly have to exercise it and that may dammage it.. if it feals like a ligament I would give it a rest, if it feals like muscle or tendon I would warm it up and gently stretch it twice or three times a day, maybe do some low intensity high rep exercise in there too.. be very carefull (of course you already know that considering your other knee). One thing I have noticed with my self is after over exerting a muscle even when it's still recovering nd it aches it will function fine and if I do give it an intense exercise it usualy greatly reduces the soreness during the exercise and after it cools down, but I'm not realy suggesting that and that's for muscles, tendonds are diffrent and sprains I treat diffrent.
 

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2001
Messages
508
Reaction score
6
Location
Gilead
...spend some time walking on his knees. Every chance he got, he spent some time, watching TV, Reading, relaxing, talking, what ever, just moving around on his knees.
A couple of weeks later he felt better and had a lot more movement with his knees. He continues to do this to keep himself limber.

I know, I know, third party information, but know it helped him!
 
OP
S

sweeper

Guest
and doing the same thing in judo gave me constant pain in my knees, it realy depends on what the problem is..
 

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2001
Messages
508
Reaction score
6
Location
Gilead
Got to get proper medical advice, and help.

And even then you got to do what works for you!
 
OP
K

KenpoGirl

Guest
I appreciate the advice, I'll just take it day to day.
Pains gone down a bit, hopefully it's just a matter of getting use to training again. Loosing weight will certainly help as well.

Thanks again for your interest.

Dot
:asian:
 
OP
J

J-kid

Guest
I am using Super blue stuff made from emu oil . It cost me a bundle 19.99 but it works good and dosnt burn., You should try it:p
 
OP
W

Wertle

Guest
Emu oil??
 

Attachments

  • $emu.gif
    $emu.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 223
OP
K

KenpoGirl

Guest
Originally posted by Judo-kid

I am using Super blue stuff made from emu oil . It cost me a bundle 19.99 but it works good and dosnt burn., You should try it:p

Well I looked into the super blue stuff, we have a store in town that sells "infomercial" items and the Super Blue Stuff was $80, I ain't kidding. Talk about a mark up.

Even if I ordered it right from their website it would cost me $30 Canadian plush shipping and whatever duty there may be.

:( I'm screwed.
 

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2001
Messages
508
Reaction score
6
Location
Gilead
I had my boxing instructor, who had his Masters in Kinesiology, tell me that for every pound you carry above your waist, it is the equivelent of 10 pounds of pressure on your knees.
Food for thought for all of us I think.
 
OP
K

KenpoGirl

Guest
Originally posted by Roland

I had my boxing instructor, who had his Masters in Kinesiology, tell me that for every pound you carry above your waist, it is the equivelent of 10 pounds of pressure on your knees.
Food for thought for all of us I think.

I hear what you're saying Roland, and I appreciate the information. I am working on the weightloss as we speak, but that is no a quick fix. I was hoping for something to ease the pain a bit. (Some days are better than others).

I've tried Extra Strength Tiger Balm, and sadly didn't really feel any effect, it hardly got tingly. I think I have too much insulation for it to absorb through to the muscle.

I will continue to work on my health and weight and hope the knees will improve as I go.

Dot.
:asian:
 

jkn75

Blue Belt
Joined
Aug 19, 2002
Messages
224
Reaction score
5
Location
Illinois
There is something that gymnasts use for balance. Its a round inflatable pad that you can stand or kneel on. It's almost like a balance board. You can inflate it to whatever pressure you want the fuller it is the more difficult it is to balance. Your body will autocorrect itself and strengthen the tendons in your legs, if kneeling, in your ankles if standing.
:asian:
 

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Joined
Apr 24, 2002
Messages
2,768
Reaction score
14
Location
California
um... are you kicking in the air, or are you kicking a bag or a target of some kind.

if you're kicking in the air, and you're having knee problems, STOP kicking in the air. This is the main cause of training injuries for martial artists. Ask your instructor if you can do your kicks on the bag instead, because when you kick in the air, you're very likely to hyperextend.
 
OP
K

KenpoGirl

Guest
Originally posted by jkn75

There is something that gymnasts use for balance. Its a round inflatable pad that you can stand or kneel on. It's almost like a balance board. You can inflate it to whatever pressure you want the fuller it is the more difficult it is to balance. Your body will autocorrect itself and strengthen the tendons in your legs, if kneeling, in your ankles if standing.
:asian:

Thanks for the information, I do remember using something like that when I was in Therapy I'll see if I can locate one.

:asian:
 
OP
K

KenpoGirl

Guest
Originally posted by nightingale8472

um... are you kicking in the air, or are you kicking a bag or a target of some kind.

if you're kicking in the air, and you're having knee problems, STOP kicking in the air. This is the main cause of training injuries for martial artists. Ask your instructor if you can do your kicks on the bag instead, because when you kick in the air, you're very likely to hyperextend.

Yes a portion of our workout is in the air, but the majority is kicking a pad or a wavemaster. That being said, I will make sure that I am careful not to hyperextend when kicking in the air. I can certainly see how that would happen. Thanks for the advice.

:asian:
 
OP
L

lvwhitebir

Guest
Originally posted by KenpoGirl

As you may or may not be aware, very recently I have started back to training on a full time basis. I quit for a year and a half because of a partially torn ACL in my left knee.

The thing is after training for about a week and a half, it's my RIGHT knee that's really bugging me. Don't get me wrong the LEFT still hurts, but I'm use to that pain. But I didn't expect the right one to hurt. I'm a little puzzled by this.

So what I'm here for is to ask if you have any "Knee Saving" tips, to improve strength in the knees without doing anymore damage?
Any ideas will be appreciated.

Dot
:asian:

Your right knee could be hurting simply because you're favoring that leg... trying to protect the other one. It could also be that the activity is working on strengthening the joints and you're used to the left one hurting. If the pain continues, I would try wrapping the knee a little to see if the extra support helps. But, be careful, you don't want to become dependent on the wrap. You'll need to wean yourself off of it.

All else fails, see a doctor. The last thing you want is another knee injury to keep you out longer.
 
OP
O

Old Warrior

Guest
Last year I tore the acl, mcl and miniscus in my left knee (motorcycle accident). They were partial tears and I refused surgery for fear that the onset of arthritis would be worse than the limitations. I'm a fencer (European and Kumdo) and the knews take a pounding but are nowhere's nearly as important as in Karate (my youthful passion).

First of all, I recommend you wear braces on both knees. Second, adjust your techniques to those that are more friendly to your current physiology. It's not giving in - its being smart. Better you should practice those things you can do perfectly, over and over, than stress weaker body parts because your ego doesn't want to let you "give in".

My final piece of advice is to complain alot, limp and let everyone know you have limitations. Old age and treachery beats youth and skill every time! If they let up, you focus harder. I can't tell you how much enjoy beating up on college kids when I am three times their age and have real physical limitations.
 
OP
K

KenpoGirl

Guest
Well it's three months since I first posted this thread. I'm doing pretty good. The knees still hurt but not as bad, I just work through the pain. Though still out of shape, I am getting better, and I've lost about 20lbs, which I'm very pleased about. :D

I decided when I started back that I wouldn't use my braces because I didn't want to be dependent on them, I believe it was the right choice because they are stronger than they were, but I do appreciate the advice. :)

Originally posted by Old Warrior

My final piece of advice is to complain alot, limp and let everyone know you have limitations. Old age and treachery beats youth and skill every time! If they let up, you focus harder. I can't tell you how much enjoy beating up on college kids when I am three times their age and have real physical limitations.

LMAO I am famous for my complaining. :D Unfortuneately I don't get to beat up a lot of people as yet because the two people I spar against are much better and larger/taller than I so I'm the one that usually gets beat up. ;)
 
OP
O

Old Warrior

Guest
KENPO GIRL

18 mos ago I put down my Harley and tore my acl, mcl and meniscus in my left knee. Rule 1 - get a reasonbly good brace to prevent twisting. Rule 2 - build up the knee muscles. Rule 3 - listen to your body, when its swollen, cut back, ice it and take an anti imflammatory (Aleve is the best). Rule 4 - HAVE THIS DISCUSSION WITH AN ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON WHO HAS A CONSERVATIVE REPUTATION.
 

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Joined
Apr 24, 2002
Messages
2,768
Reaction score
14
Location
California
agreed. check with a doctor. there's no point in training now if you damage yourself so much you need a knee replacement :( just see a specialist to make sure you're not hurting yourself, because pain is your body's way of telling you that you're doing something it doesnt like.
 
Top