Best martial art for those with knee problems

• Thread starter Tae Kwon Doughboy
  • Start date
T

Tae Kwon Doughboy

My knee has been bothering me lately so I went to the doctor. He thinks I have cartlige dammage and what is bothering me is the resulting fluid. He scheduled an MRI.

I hope everything will turn out OK but if it doesn't I would like to know what martial art is the best for those with knee problems.

I have done Tai Chi from a video tape before but I prefer personal instruction, which wasn't available in my area when I started TaeKwonDo.

Thanks in advance.

OP
F

Firona

TKD might be the most stressfull MA to do with bad knees, considering it is primarily kicking. I am flatfooted which has resulted in a bad left knee (the right isn't much better) and whenever I try to do any high impact training such as running I last about 5 minutes before the ol' beast takes a bite. The best thing I have found for training without further injury to my knee is the pool (which I have already posted about somewhere else) The water takes all the weight off the joints and provides resistance. As far as a good MA for the knee problem I really can't say what would be best. Hopefully one of the older folks who has had to deal with this for awhile can give some advice.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's alot of bad knees threads in the health section. I have a cartilage tear. One healed I think from taking glucoamine sulfate for six years. But after the doc couldn't help me figure out why my knee was collapsing. He did an MRI. $1500 or so later, he says I have no cartilage left in my left knee and worn a divot in the bone, then gives me a brace and says carry on. I did some exercises to help the inner quad muscle do more work but I think I just have to watch on stretching the ligaments around the knee too much and doing hamstring exercises. Even if he were to fix the small tear, it would help the knee much. My other tear had healed itself.

Water on your knee is caused by the bone/cartilage fragments from wear and tear. Synovial fluid-water buildup is from your body trying to protect the knee and from the irritation of the fragments. Take advil or ibuprofen before, wear a brace if your knee isn't tracking right (maybe from a cartilage tear) take glucoasamine, and ice your knee after to prevent any swelling. Swelling isn't good-advil and ice help. MSM also helps inflammation. I can manage my knees, keep jumping a little, run a little, but I know it isn't good for them anymore at 54. Take care of your knees. TW

PS Any MA that doesn't involve jumping would be an improvement.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Aikido, aikijujitsu, and hapkido could all be great martial arts for you also you may want to check into shotokan, ryukyu kempo, or other styles of karate and ask if high kicks are a requirement

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I started Taijiquan to rehab an injured shoulder, and it wound up fixing a knee which was starting to give me problems as well. You said there wasn't an instructor available when you started. Does that mean you have access to one now? If so, I highly encourage you to seek out instruction. Videos are OK as a suppliment to instruction (sort of like a textbook in school), but they cannot replace it.
Good luck. :)

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
TKD,

I had a friend with two bad knee's and he was able to do Aikido just fine. If you have a knee injury Tai Chi can still be difficult even done correctly. In Yang style I found keeping the Knee right over the toes still caused me problems. I had to cheat my movement to limit pain.

In whatever art you decide you might have to adopt higher stances, not hold those stances as long and limit your kicking. I just had an MRI done on my right knee and found some wear and tear. Nothing to serious says the DOC, except for the freaken pain :mad: Although I am better and ready to train again.

Don (El Paso)

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My calf is attached to my thigh only by skin and blubber. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is about the only thing I can do now...You start from the knees and never have to stand up if you don't want to.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have bad knees, one worse than the other. I do EPAK. Works fine for me and I wear a knee brace on one knee. I told my instructors of the problem, so they know not to knock me from behind to make me go lower in a stance. Typically the only time I hurt myself doing it is when I do too much, too fast and it is my own stupidity. There are some moves or things that stress the knees some, those I just don't do, like you are not likely to find me doing a flying side kick, but most things can be modified to fit your limitations. I think it is just important to talk to the instructor, no matter what style you choose, so they know the problem in advance and can work with you, if you run into a stumbling block. If someone isn't willing to, then you know that you are not at the right school for you.

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i have a family member with bad knees and he wanted me to look around for him. i found combat hapkido. has all low kicks and small movements from what i understand. he started is road in ma and he loves it. hasn't had any problems. he wanted to do ninjutsu but some stances are low and stressful on his knees. i think combat hapkido might be what your looking for.

OP
T

Tae Kwon Doughboy

Randy Strausbaugh said:
I started Taijiquan to rehab an injured shoulder, and it wound up fixing a knee which was starting to give me problems as well. You said there wasn't an instructor available when you started. Does that mean you have access to one now? If so, I highly encourage you to seek out instruction. Videos are OK as a suppliment to instruction (sort of like a textbook in school), but they cannot replace it.
Good luck. :)
I haven't looked recently, but I am hopeful. I agree about a tape being no replacement fo an instructor. The video tape hasn't corrected me yet!