Kitchen Knives

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Can't stress enough the importance of good knives in cooking. After getting good quality food, it's the next most important things. Keep em sharp and cut evenly with them.

AMEN, BROTHER!

The knives in the kitchen I work in are RAZOR sharp! Several of the Chefs (and cooks) have their own knives... and these are even SHARPER!

My Sous' santoku knife will cut you if you even THINK about touching the blade! :ultracool

Like Jeff Said... buy good knives... and keep then sharp (a dull knife is MUCH more dangerouse!)...

HAPPY CUTTING!

Best Regards,

Andy

P.S. Mostly Pampered Chef and Wushtoff in my drawer at home...

Mustafa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My mother has some when she makes the food most often, i don't know what brand they are. But they are cheap and not sharp.
When i ask her why they are not sharp, she says so i would not cut myself.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mine are also the cheap kind. My kids are not kind to things, regardless of the pride in ownership I've tried to instill in them. They also have the annoying habit of turning on the garbage disposal when a piece of my silver, a shotglass or a good knife happens to be *in it.* :mst:

I refuse to buy anything higher end in quality until the little snots are out on their own. Then I'll give them all the stuff I have which they've ruined and plan to buy ...

... Kershaw knives for standard purposes. For more culinary prowess, I'll be shopping around then.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mine are also the cheap kind. My kids are not kind to things, regardless of the pride in ownership I've tried to instill in them. They also have the annoying habit of turning on the garbage disposal when a piece of my silver, a shotglass or a good knife happens to be *in it.* :mst:

I refuse to buy anything higher end in quality until the little snots are out on their own. Then I'll give them all the stuff I have which they've ruined and plan to buy ...

... Kershaw knives for standard purposes. For more culinary prowess, I'll be shopping around then.
Kershaw also sells "Shun" knives. They are great!!

Jeff

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I for one understand this completely!

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score

I can totally relate to that. I have one good knife left, when I say good I mean sharp, all the rest have been bent, twisted,snapped, lost... through various means. One of my pet hates is when I find someone using the tip of an eating knife as a screwdriver !!!!

Mustafa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Good idea.
But try to limit you quality knives to quality stuff.
Give them?
I dont plan on buying anything, but i also plan on not selling.
(You could steal it)

Mustafa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Good idea.
But try to limit you quality knives to quality stuff.
Give them?
I dont plan on buying anything, but i also plan on not selling.
(You could steal it)
Sorry about that disrespect. I am not supposed to be tempted i guess. You can comfort yourself with that i would have been more disrespecting if you, (a person in your place) wore a veil.
I shoud have said; You could not steal it

Are you saying you are, a not kid?
Are you saying you are not proud?
Are you saying that you have controll, beyond Gods will?
Are you saying that you are not annoying?
Are you saying that you dont turn the garbage disposal off?
Are you saying that your knife is in it?
Are you saying that i am offering?
Are you saying that your knife is a quality knife?
Are you saying that the little knots are going to be out on their own without you haveing to do anything?
Are you saying that they have ruined it?
Are you saying that they are going to buy it?

I will not take you knife, but it is a sad thing when i will have to defend myself (when your knife goes out on its own).

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry about that disrespect. I am not supposed to be tempted i guess. You can comfort yourself with that i would have been more disrespecting if you, (a person in your place) wore a veil.
I shoud have said; You could not steal it

Are you saying you are, a not kid?
Are you saying you are not proud?
Are you saying that you have controll, beyond Gods will?
Are you saying that you are not annoying?
Are you saying that you dont turn the garbage disposal off?
Are you saying that your knife is in it?
Are you saying that i am offering?
Are you saying that your knife is a quality knife?
Are you saying that the little knots are going to be out on their own without you haveing to do anything?
Are you saying that they have ruined it?
Are you saying that they are going to buy it?

I will not take you knife, but it is a sad thing when i will have to defend myself (when your knife goes out on its own).

Wish I knew just what the Ding-Dong you are talking about here? Also I miss the entire post having anything to do with kitchen knives other than having the word knife in it a couple of times.

Back to the thread, I had a question and remembered this thread. locally there is a store that just got in some "Wushtoff" knives and I had never heard of them before. What quality are they? Worth picking up a few, because the ones I have now are a bit on the lame side when it comes to quality.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wustoff-Trident makes a good knife. Well worth the price. Don't buy sets though. Get what you need and you'll save money. Cross brands as well. For pairing knives, go with the Henkels. They still drop forge their small knives. Also, give Global knives a look. Bout the same prices as the Wustof, but very different and just as high, or higher quality.

Jeff

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Whustoff knives they got in are in a set, the big help here is that this store is a salvage/surplus place that buys out stores that have either gone out of business or suffered some setback like fire, flood, etc... the sets they have are only about $25 - $40. I saw where some of them are reg. priced WAY, WAY higher than that, but also know price doesn't always translate to quality. Thanks for the info.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I plan on buying some quality kitchen knives next time I get to Birch Run which is a big shopping outlet place here in Michigan over by Frankenmuth.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Whustoff knives they got in are in a set, the big help here is that this store is a salvage/surplus place that buys out stores that have either gone out of business or suffered some setback like fire, flood, etc... the sets they have are only about $25 - $40. I saw where some of them are reg. priced WAY, WAY higher than that, but also know price doesn't always translate to quality. Thanks for the info.
Just make sure they aren't the stamped ones. If the knives have a bolster, you'll be good to go!

Jeff

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I plan on buying some quality kitchen knives next time I get to Birch Run which is a big shopping outlet place here in Michigan over by Frankenmuth.

Almost have to stop into Zehnders then. Haven't been to Birch Run in 9 years or so. Good luck finding some.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Almost have to stop into Zehnders then. Haven't been to Birch Run in 9 years or so. Good luck finding some.

Well of course you must go to Zehnders if you are over by Birch Run! That is the whole point of being over there.
icon10.gif
(at least that is what my stomach says)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back when I was a graduate student, I was blessed with some of the best friends anyone could ever hope to have.

After I defended my dissertation, they pooled some $$$ together, and bought me a 7 piece set of Cutco knives, since one of them used to do some work for Vector marketing.

These are great knives, and are exceptionally well constructed, being able to cut, while holding up to regular use quite easily. I'd say that they're just as good as any set of Henckel's.

I'm not familiar with Wusthoff-Trident, but from what many a chef has said, they're worth every penny spent.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I came across another Chef's Knife I gott have. Put out by Shun/Kershaw and designed by Ken Onion.

Attachments

• $20147_med.jpg
    $20147_med.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 159

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I came across another Chef's Knife I gott have. Put out by Shun/Kershaw and designed by Ken Onion.
I have a VERY cheap knock-off of this and I love it - can't wait to buy this and lock it away.