Cold Steel "Steel Tiger" Karambit

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Has anyone had a chance to handle this yet?

I'm not very familiar with karambits, or the arts that use them, but aren't most fixed blade karambits double edged? I do like the grip on this one, and the price is very nice. Thinking about picking one up.

Jeff

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's the link to the Cold Steel page for this knife.

I have to say, I'm no expert, but most of the karambits I've personally seen are double-edged.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some Kerambits are double edged but often the "double edge" is a bit of honing on the opposite side of the point.

"Harimau" means Tiger. Harimau Pentjak Silat, legend says, is inspired by the way tigers fight.

"Kerambit" means "Tiger's Claw". If you can think of how a tiger's claw can destroy, then you have an idea of how the Kerambit is used to fight. A full double edge is not necessary.

I suspect maximizing statutory compliance was a consideration in the design they chose.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some Kerambits are double edged but often the "double edge" is a bit of honing on the opposite side of the point.

"Harimau" means Tiger. Harimau Pentjak Silat, legend says, is inspired by the way tigers fight.

"Kerambit" means "Tiger's Claw". If you can think of how a tiger's claw can destroy, then you have an idea of how the Kerambit is used to fight. A full double edge is not necessary.

I suspect maximizing statutory compliance was a consideration in the design they chose.
Thanks for your insight Carol!

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
csstoreonline_1916_1124557

That's one nasty looking blade!

Warrior-Scholar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Of our 12 main striking angles, only one utilizes the "weak" side of the blade. So, it seems the double egde isn't necessary, but not without application.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They have a fiberglass reinforced plastic version as well.

Just sayin'. :angel:
Actually, If I go ahead and purchase the Steel Tiger, I'd get that as well, dull it up and round the point to use it as a trainer.

Jeff

Latest Discussions