Kimbo vs. K. Shamrock in October

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seth stated in a radio interview....

“The promoters kind of hinted to me, and they gave me the money to stand and trade with him,” he told “The Monsters in Orlando” radio show. “They didn’t want me to take him down, let’s just put it that way. It was worth my while to try to stand up and punch with him.”

That would make it a fix, not a "bonus payout for a KO"

It could just mean they where offering a big bonus for a KO.

Which doesn't amount to a "fix", it just means they wanted a specific type of fight to happen. Which could be partly because stand up fights go better on camera, not to mention it was the only way Kimbo really had any chance, and he is there biggest headliner.

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Seth Petruzelli has NEVER won a fight by submission. Only one of his victories has been by decision. He's got 9 (T)KO's. He's fought in K1 twice before. He's a guy who likes to stand and bang.

EliteXC thoguht they could save their main event by bringing in a fighter 40lbs lighter than Kimbo who likes to stand and trade so Kimbo could get a highlight reel KO. Instead, Kimbo got KO'ed by a freaking jab and exposed.

Seth has since said that he was talking about them wanting an exciting fight and the KO bonus. Whether he's just covering his own butt or not, I don't know.

Either way, Kimbo got clowned in a fight setup for him to win.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
each to their own but ain't he pretty in that outfit
:flame:FLAME ON!

Not only did Kimbo Slice get his HEAD HANDED TO HIM.....it was by a guy who described HIMSELF as a 'GOOFY HOMO'! :lfao:

That CAN'T be good for Kimbo's 'street cred'!

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok this goes to show EliteXC & CBS are up to something. I see it as fixing fights.

Andrei Arlovski wanted to fight Kimbo when he found out about Shamrock's injury but was denied.
"I will fight anybody," Arlovski said. "I was ready to fight Kimbo when Shamrock got hurt."

Now it comes out that Frank Shamrock was a possible replacement for Ken but that got nixed...read below.

In the scramble to find a suitable replacement that Slice couldnÂ’t possibly lose to, EliteXC considered ShamrockÂ’s brother, Frank, who was there to be CBSÂ’s color commentator, hadnÂ’t fought lately due to a broken arm and would have given up around 45 pounds. When that matchup couldnÂ’t happen (EliteXC said state officials wouldnÂ’t clear him, Frank said they did but CBS blocked it), EliteXC promoters turned to Petruzelli.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dw-kimbo100508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
They were trying to fix the fight.....but they had ZERO intention of Seth Petruzelli winning.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seth stated in a radio interview....

“The promoters kind of hinted to me, and they gave me the money to stand and trade with him,” he told “The Monsters in Orlando” radio show. “They didn’t want me to take him down, let’s just put it that way. It was worth my while to try to stand up and punch with him.”

That would make it a fix, not a "bonus payout for a KO"
They were wanting him to stand and trade with Kimbo in hopes SETH would get knocked out, knowing Kimbo's ground game is negligent at best.....and it BACKFIRED!

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Say what you want about this and the future of XC, but it was a fight I will always remember. It will probably be good for ratings in the short run. The risk it runs is turning MMA (at least Elite XC MMA) into a pro-wrestling sideshow in the long run. Pro-wrestling is a money making machine, but...well just look at it.

Not what I would want the future of MMA to look like.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think petruzelli will get 1 to 2 fights of fame, and kimbo will lose no fame. he is still a HUGE draw. he never said he was the best, he just said he loved fighting.
Kimbo's fame is based on his perceived invincibility.......it started with the first broadcast backyard brawl where he let the other guy punch him several times with no apparent effect......the illusion to the casual fan was that Kimbo was some big invincible monster who couldn't be hurt by punches.

Yes, this will DESTROY Kimbo's fame.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kimbo's fame is based on his perceived invincibility.......it started with the first broadcast backyard brawl where he let the other guy punch him several times with no apparent effect......the illusion to the casual fan was that Kimbo was some big invincible monster who couldn't be hurt by punches.

Yes, this will DESTROY Kimbo's fame.

yes and no. Kimbo lost before when he fought pro MMA fighter Shannon Gannon in one of Kimbo's underground fights. So to true MMA fans they really won't care one bit because they already knew Kimbo wasn't what he was promoted to be, but many still enjoy watching him, just like Tank Abbott.

The casual fan, I think may lose some interest, but now I think the draw will be to see if Kimbo loses or pounds the other guy. I think that Kimbo is still enough of a "side show" draw that people will watch it (for free anyways no PPV deals).

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes and no. Kimbo lost before when he fought pro MMA fighter Shannon Gannon in one of Kimbo's underground fights. So to true MMA fans they really won't care one bit because they already knew Kimbo wasn't what he was promoted to be, but many still enjoy watching him, just like Tank Abbott.

The casual fan, I think may lose some interest, but now I think the draw will be to see if Kimbo loses or pounds the other guy. I think that Kimbo is still enough of a "side show" draw that people will watch it (for free anyways no PPV deals).
Yes, though the argument Kimbo fans made with Gannon was that Gannon used grappling to win the fight, and Kimbo is a brawler.....the Kimbo myth was that no one could stand toe to toe with him......MYTH BUSTED!

At least Elite XC still has Gina Carano!

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
ProElite is now being investigated for fight fixing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=3634858

Dana White makes a good point in the article.
Yes he does.....and it's no surprise. Elite has been hand-picking Kimbo's opponents with an eye to protecting him the entire time. They also knew that his best shot with Petruzelli was a standup game, and wanted to stack the deck in that direction.......but it utterly backfired!

While I celebrate Kimbo's defeat, at the same time I really don't want to see Elite XC collapse, as ultimately I think the organization is good for the sport in a lot of ways.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

The casual mma fan might care but to be honest I donÂ’t think it will bother the real mma fans much, in the next four months we are looking at some big fights, Dan henderson Rich frankling, GSP BJPEN, Randy Couture Brock, Wanderlie rampage 3, shogun rua mark coleman 2Â…Â…Â…who is Kimbo Slice again?

Latest Discussions