Kimbo Slice?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok I saw ESPN's news magazine show and they did a piece on Kimbo Slice. If you don't know who he is all you have to do is youtube his name to see some of his backyard brawls. He is a backyard street brawler now turned into MMA fighter.

He is now being trained by Bas Rutten and now fights in the EliteXC. He sent out a challenge to Tank Abbott who accepted but the bout never came to b/c of promotion disputes.

Joe Rogan would love to see Kimbo fight in the UFC while others such as Tito Ortiz thinks they guy would get beat bad.

Your thoughts on this guy? Think he may end up in the UFC?

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think he has no place in the UFC...he made his name fighting bums in fixed streetfights.

If he fights in the UFC he should have to earn the right like any other up and coming fighter, he shouldnt be given and easy ride just based on his name and rep.

and to be fair...he's not nearly good enough i think he would get creamed in the UFC....lets be honest fighting Tank Abbot is one thing, abbot hasnt been fighting fit in years but fighting even the middle ranked UFC heavyweights would give him more then enough trouble.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think he has no place in the UFC...he made his name fighting bums in fixed streetfights.

If he fights in the UFC he should have to earn the right like any other up and coming fighter, he shouldnt be given and easy ride just based on his name and rep.

and to be fair...he's not nearly good enough i think he would get creamed in the UFC....lets be honest fighting Tank Abbot is one thing, abbot hasnt been fighting fit in years but fighting even the middle ranked UFC heavyweights would give him more then enough trouble.

I can't say his fights are fixed b/c you don't fix fights like that where the opponent gets SERIOUS damage. I remember where one guys eye looked like it was coming out of his eye socket. Nasty stuff.

I do agree that if he were to go to the UFC (which I could see b/c Dana White would love the money that could be made from it) he would need to start from the bottom. None of these bums that he fights now in EliteXC either ( Forrest and Chuck made a joke about guys tapping before they even hit the ground...lol)

He has some hands but we all know in the UFC you need a ground game. I will say that hopefully with Bas he will learn a great deal but I will never be impressed until I see him taking on some top caliber opponents.

Wouldnt mind seeing him and Brock Lesnar going at it. 2 big guys that wanna beat each other up...always makes for good entertainment.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
not fixed in that the guys he was fighting in those streetfights were paid to go down but fixed as in his promoter ( he's the guy with the beard that is always with him ) sets him up street fighters that he knows kimbo will beat.

Reaction score
I do agree that if he were to go to the UFC (which I could see b/c Dana White would love the money that could be made from it) he would need to start from the bottom.

Yeah, Liddel could muscle up a little I could just see the poster now! UFC 89: The Iceman vs The Sliceman!

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ok I saw ESPN's news magazine show and they did a piece on Kimbo Slice. If you don't know who he is all you have to do is youtube his name to see some of his backyard brawls. He is a backyard street brawler now turned into MMA fighter.

He is now being trained by Bas Rutten and now fights in the EliteXC. He sent out a challenge to Tank Abbott who accepted but the bout never came to b/c of promotion disputes.

Joe Rogan would love to see Kimbo fight in the UFC while others such as Tito Ortiz thinks they guy would get beat bad.

Your thoughts on this guy? Think he may end up in the UFC?

My thoughts on this guy?? Well, I can't help but have absolutely no respect for him whatsoever. He is a street thug, criminal, pervert, and overall a nasty individual I wouldn't mind seeing pounded by someone like Fedor. I know I have strong opinions,but....

He would bring nothing but despise for the ufc and I don't think Dana wants anything to do with him because of his image.

That One Guy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think that if kimbo were to walk into the heavyweight division of UFC right now, he would get absolutely destroyed by any number of guys I can think of.

Now, after a year or two of training with bas and fighting in other circuits, getting some experience, he could be quite the menace.

And saying that Kimbo's image is any worse that quinton jacksons or tank abbotts is completely absurd. He has as much right to throw down in the ufc as any of those guy, assuming he can prove that he deserves to be in the octagon as a fighter.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When you watch his videos you may notice a couple of things.
1. Throws mostly punches some Haymakers.
2. If clinched really does not know what to do.
I think an experienced grappler could take him down as seen in one video when he was put in a head lock he seems not knowing what to do.
In the cage with so many people knowing the game I think Kimbo is like another Bob Sapp.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I can't respect him at all. He's just a messy street brawler, made his name on You Tube, and now he's being offered a shot at the big time. He can't even fight, although I'm sure he must be learning to fight now. But it's gonna take him years to develop any true fighting skills. He's got no ground game, and he's go no striking game. IMO, all he has going for him is his size/strength, and the fact that he's a bloody nutter!!!!

Do I think he will end up in the UFC? I really don't know? Would I like him to fight in it? In a way NO- because it devalues the brand in my eyes. A bit like watching Bobb Sapp in K1. However, another part of my says YES- because I would absolutely love to see him come up against a skilled fighter. See if he can match it with them, well actually mostly to see him his *** handed to him. LOL...:)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd like to see him go into the UFC, and get manhandled by someone that is on the lower end of the UFC HW latter. Then I'd like to see him fade back into obscurity.

Better yet, send him to Japan, I'm sure there are middle or even light weight guys that could expose him as a overhyped brawler that is not at the level his fans think he is.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know whether or not his fights in the backyard were fixed or not, but I will say that he packs a punch. Although he's training with Bas, I personally think that he has a long way to go before he could compete with the likes of some of the current top guys in the UFC/MMA world today.

Anyone can look good fighting against someone who is not on the same skill level. But, put someone with higher skill in there...big difference in the outcome IMO.

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think currently the guy would get owned fast and hard in UFC or any of the other MMA professional circuits. All he has going for him is power and the environment in which he fights - he has very little technique, speed or extertise aside from his hands.

It's very hard to respect the guy - there's no integrity in the path he walks.

I must admit though even though I'd prefer not to, if properly trained he could make some serious ground in MMA

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think currently the guy would get owned fast and hard in UFC or any of the other MMA professional circuits. All he has going for him is power and the environment in which he fights - he has very little technique, speed or extertise aside from his hands.

It's very hard to respect the guy - there's no integrity in the path he walks.

I must admit though even though I'd prefer not to, if properly trained he could make some serious ground in MMA

Kimbo has been training with Bas Rutten in grappling, among other things, since last spring. Don't thing that what you've seen on YouTube is going to be the entirety of what he will bring to the octagon.

All of you should reserve your judgement until you see what he can do. Of course, you can spout all the moral blather that you like, it has little to do with anything, especially with the Gracie public image going down the toilet...

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
They just need to set up a bout against KIMBO and LESNER! Its simple, both want to rise to the top without going up the ladder. Why not just set up two brawlers, both ICONS with a tough guy image! Both fresh new starts in the MMA circut. One a wrestler, one a stand up fighter. Could be a good promotional fight. Winner of the two earns the right to go on in UFC.

I dont think ABBOT is a good match for Kimbo.. Abbot is a drunk who is a brawler as well, but it to me would not be no where near the excitement as KIMBO and LESNER..

Come on DANA pick that up we want to see that fight...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They just need to set up a bout against KIMBO and LESNER! Its simple, both want to rise to the top without going up the ladder. Why not just set up two brawlers, both ICONS with a tough guy image! Both fresh new starts in the MMA circut. One a wrestler, one a stand up fighter. Could be a good promotional fight. Winner of the two earns the right to go on in UFC.

I dont think ABBOT is a good match for Kimbo.. Abbot is a drunk who is a brawler as well, but it to me would not be no where near the excitement as KIMBO and LESNER..

Come on DANA pick that up we want to see that fight...

I like this idea as well!
icon6.gif

buldog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I like this idea as well!
icon6.gif
It would be a good match up. Very little technique, just 2 huge dude wailing away at each other. I just don't see Dana wanting to risk having Lesner lose another fight this early on. Lesner could be a huge money maker for UFC if he is handled correctly. Mir was a bit out of his league for his current skill level. Brock is a rookie and should fight some easier guys for the next 6-12 months as he improves his submission defense. If you listened to the post fight interview you can hear that Brock has been training really hard to improve, but he just doesn't have quick enough reactions to escape. He has to think "how do I get out of this?" and by that time it's too late. He almost got out of that knee bar but was a fraction too late. Give him another year and, IMO, he could do some real damage in the Heavyweight ranks.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd love to see him in the octagon. The thing about him is that he seems like a gent when he fights. Doesn't hit them on the ground, helps them up after he's knocked them out and sees they're ok, then shakes hands and leaves. He looks like a nutter, probably not technically amazing but abbott wasn't, it didn't really matter when he knocked people unconscious though.

Latest Discussions