Kids and weapons

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
At what age do you start your children in weapon systems?
For us it has been ever since they can hold a sword and run around.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200712-091424_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20200712-091424_YouTube.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 200

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where my son trains it isn't about a he but rank. I think they start with the Bo at green belt.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don’t do weapons but frankly I wouldn’t feel comfy teaching anyone under 18 how to use any type of weapon

OP
angelariz

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don’t do weapons but frankly I wouldn’t feel comfy teaching anyone under 18 how to use any type of weapon
FMA is a weapons based system. The control and respect for a weapon and its dangers are fostered from early on. That being said, there are some adults I wont teach because they are unsafe or dishonorable. My kids will rise to the standard i set. They always do.

OP
angelariz

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Where my son trains it isn't about a he but rank. I think they start with the Bo at green belt.
Both and Jo are excellent beginner weapons. I like using walking sticks too for some lessons.

OP
angelariz

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
The picture I shared was of us knife sparring at a Paul Vunak PFS gathering.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
FMA is a weapons based system. The control and respect for a weapon and its dangers are fostered from early on. That being said, there are some adults I wont teach because they are unsafe or dishonorable. My kids will rise to the standard i set. They always do.
That’s fine but personally I don’t think teaching any children how to use a knife in today’s climate is a good idea as kids their personality can change very quick one month they can be sweet and quiet the next month they could very angry and bitter depending on circumstances and all it takes is one teenager to snap and bring a knife to school one day and well that on its own is terrifying but even worse if he has actual training on how to use it. And that’s not saying anything on your teaching but the whole “no such thing as a bad student” line that’s not true.

no offence intended just stating my view on it

OP
angelariz

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
That’s fine but personally I don’t think teaching any children how to use a knife in today’s climate is a good idea as kids their personality can change very quick one month they can be sweet and quiet the next month they could very angry and bitter depending on circumstances and all it takes is one teenager to snap and bring a knife to school one day and well that on its own is terrifying but even worse if he has actual training on how to use it. And that’s not saying anything on your teaching but the whole “no such thing as a bad student” line that’s not true.

no offence intended just stating my view on it
My kids carry a knife everywhere. It is a tool. Everyone I knew in HS carried a box cutter. The tool is irrelevant. There are disgusting people out there hitting people in the head with bike locks. The tool is irrelevant. Respect and honor must be taught by example and by demanding it from my people. Anyone that shows disrespect to training weapons or partners are dismissed. I've only dismissed one person from weapons training and he was over 18. I understand that is your opinion and if I found immature kids coming to train with me, I will PT them.

OP
angelariz

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
The Jo and Tonfa used to be the first weapons in Bu jutsu back in the day. Ah...good times.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kids by definition are immature. It's just a matter of to what degree. I was raised by kind of strict parents and was, as kids go, nice and responsible. But I sure did some stupid things! No way would I teach knife. Kids (even the "good" ones like I was) are too prone to show off, take chances and otherwise make poor decisions. I don't know any kid that could resist showing off their "chucks." That's what kids do. I would teach a kid bo at advanced green belt (before brown). That's about the safest weapon and not especially glamorous to a kid. Sai, nunchaku, tonfa, sticks, I think is OK for 15-16 years old at brown or black belt. Knives, I would teach very selectively at 18 and up.

Now, a few hundred years ago, Samurai boys learned the sword after years of practice with bokken (wood sword.) But that was a different culture, highly disciplined and regimented, and death was something many saw first hand and respected. It was part of their way of life, not a hobby. Just as Filipino or other cultures' kids would be comfortable with a machete or spear. For them, weapons are not "cool" or "fun", but a way of life and everyday survival - a whole different mindset.

Kids have enough to try to master, empty handed. No need to rush them into weapons.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Complex issue, kids and weapons. Depends on a lot of factors. Ages of kids, type of weapon, legality in that area, who's teaching, how they're teaching etc. I used to see a lot of kids compete in weapons Kata back in the day. I don't know if that's even done any more.

I think there's also a difference if the person doing the teaching is teaching his own children in his own dojo.

I could be wrong about all of this. Kids....they are those loud, sticky things, right?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you asking what age children start learning weapons in our system, or what age we would (or did) start teaching our own kids weapons?

The way that I read it is the second, but everyone's responding like you answered the first. But I'll answer the second-I don't have kids, but my plan is to start teaching them weapons somewhere between 6 and 10...the specifics of that will depend on how mature they are at that point, and how well they've adapted to other stuff I've taught them (plan on teaching mindfulness stuff before that). And a large part of the early training will just be on how to properly respect weapons, but I want them to understand that and basic usage since it's pretty easy for a kid to grab a kitchen knife or a golf club and don't want them hurting themselves.

The above isn't how I would do it in a dojo, since they wouldn't be my own kids. Luckily I don't run one so I won't have to worry about that.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kids by definition are immature. It's just a matter of to what degree. I was raised by kind of strict parents and was, as kids go, nice and responsible. But I sure did some stupid things! No way would I teach knife. Kids (even the "good" ones like I was) are too prone to show off, take chances and otherwise make poor decisions. I don't know any kid that could resist showing off their "chucks." That's what kids do. I would teach a kid bo at advanced green belt (before brown). That's about the safest weapon and not especially glamorous to a kid. Sai, nunchaku, tonfa, sticks, I think is OK for 15-16 years old at brown or black belt. Knives, I would teach very selectively at 18 and up.

Now, a few hundred years ago, Samurai boys learned the sword after years of practice with bokken (wood sword.) But that was a different culture, highly disciplined and regimented, and death was something many saw first hand and respected. It was part of their way of life, not a hobby. Just as Filipino or other cultures' kids would be comfortable with a machete or spear. For them, weapons are not "cool" or "fun", but a way of life and everyday survival - a whole different mindset.

Kids have enough to try to master, empty handed. No need to rush them into weapons.
Yep also the fact you’ll see those kids for a few hours a week you can’t truly know their real character and could just be putting on an act in front of teachers but is actually a real horrible person to people in his class.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kids training anything dangerous is a complex issue.

Age and rank shouldn't be the major consideration but rather maturity. Making appropriate decisions, understanding the proximity of others and objects having the ability to respond to the environment being aware of the correct time and location to behave and knowing when to act, according to the circumstances.
I do teach many of the kids who train with me stick striking fundamentals and a lot of the stick movement attribute drills. I let them earn the training in weapons, through following directions, attitude, and how they present themselves throughout the other training.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
FWIW fundamentally, i think any training for kids needs to be grounded in a sport context, and have philosophical issues teaching them "self defense." Like rugby, soccer, football, baseball, or any other sport, a sport martial art (like TKD, wrestling, Judo, kyokushin karate, or BJJ) gives the art purpose outside of fighting on the streets. Developmentally, this is pretty important, IMO. It helps kids compartmentalize their training, and gives it purpose outside of kicking someone's ***. So, provided the weapons are being trained in teh context of some sport, I have no problems.

To illustrate the point, my older kids were both in JROTC and both were on the rifle team. Zero concerns with this. I would also have no concerns if they were interested in participating in a paintball league. But I would have a lot of concerns if they were being run through combat exercises or paramilitary style training to prepare them physically and mentally to kill people, even if it's couched as "self defense" training.

Big picture, I have much more trouble with any sport or MA style that involves consistent blows to the head, even if they're not significant blows.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The kids dont do weapon until 3rd degree adult brown we do staff set when your adult 3rd brown
Yeah but the Kenpo weapons sets especially staff set is a joke anyway so you can teach children that and they still couldn’t use it

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And in even more related news, should bears be receiving weapons training?

Oh, this does beg the question......If you give that bear a pair of gunchucks..

Gunchucks.jpeg
In a state where guns are legal and chucks are not, does this impinge upon his rights to keep and bear arms?

Latest Discussions