Kids and breaking

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What's everyones take on this, personally I tend to cringe a little everytime I see really young kids banging there feet and fists into boards. I understand that it can help build confidence, but is it worth it?

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have taught children as younger as 7 years old to break single boards and only with hammer fist strikes. In my breaking seminars I cover all the basics (both in adult and child speak). The children are given the option to wear a sparring glove to get used to the motions. It is also not a requirement for belt rank, just and added seminar or class. I do not push the kids to try it, they usually want to try it (as do the adults and we do it because of that).

Here is the "kicker" (no pun intended)... many think it is the physical injury that may hurt or scar the child, but it is not. The mental feelings they may have when they are unable to break the board (and all the others can) can be even more damaging.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
If a child is training and has the attention span to last a 45 min class, they are ready to break. Look for the thin 1/2" boards to start with. If it's a matter of mental discipline (like confidence) hold the small board yourself, have them punch or kick it, and snap it yourself - they think they did it, and you let them think that. The next time they will most probably break it themselves.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
personaly i dont like the idea for young children but I have witnessed many places that allow it or have it as a part of testing

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm concerned with injury to growth plates. We don't let children under 15 break.

That being said, I've never talked with anyone who said they've seen a lot of problems in this area.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that they should be at least in or close to their teens. Personally, I can't see a 5yo having the strength to break a board and as HKPhooey stated, not being able to break the board is most likely going to have a greater effect on them.

When they are old enough to break, I think that a strike should be used that won't cause possible serious injury. IMO, they'd probably stand a better chance of doing the break with a hammerfist rather than a punch. The same can be said for kicks.

Mike

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have seen situations where young children break the easier levels of re-breakable boards as a motivator or reward, but not as a requirement. I am still undecided regarding my thoughts on breaking.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, We do not allow kids to break wood boards or bricks. For "demo"s...for the kids...we get them foam boards cut to sizes.

They are enjoy the breaking the foam boards. You should see their faces when breaking...the Bruce lee look..Aaaaaa yaa!!!!

Kids are still learning how to punch/kick correctly is more important...bags/focus mitts are excellant tools...prefer softer ones(I have foam bags for the younger kids......Aloha

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps a 1/2" thick board, but that's it. Their bones are still developing (not completely hardened as they are in adults) and breaking boards and/or injuries to those bones can result in serious problems-

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
One think I forgot to add...the irony is I have more adults getting injured. In the last 4 breaking seminars I have done, not one child was ever injured.

When I teach a breaking class, I take the first 1/2 hour to go over the process of breaking a board. The process needs to be closely supervised and should always be voluntary.

I will not let any of the children do any foot breaks. They can only attempt a hammerfist.

Silverwing

White Belt
Reaction score
We use boards of various strengths for various breaks that our instructor ranks y-3. y boards are so weak that I've seen a holder, albeit a strong one, break them just trying to hold them for a break. 2s and 3s are strictly for adults and 3s almost only for kick breaks. The only exceptions to this are blue belts and black belts. With weaker boards kids are allowed to do side kicks and elbow strikes and with 1s they must do a stomp kick. Punches are absolutely out of the question.

We walk in a local Fourth of July parade. Two days ago I watched to white belts about 5 break boards after only 1 class because the boards are so carefully chosen.

As far as confidence, I failed a two board spinning back kick break at my blue belt test and have been more or less afraid to do even a simple side kick break ever since and I'm 17, although that was only about three weeks ago, imagine the effect a failed break would have had on me when I joined at 11.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I do not allow little kids to break except for really thin balsa type wood. The risk of hurting themselves is to great in my opinion. But on the other side of coin what is the emotional pain if they don't break it which I have seen many times with my old instructor.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Cuong Nhu you are not allowed to even attempt it until you are (I believe) 14. It is not even a requirement until you are 16 and testing for brown belt. Which is two thirds the way to black belt. We also have weight classes. And if you weigh little enough, it is dropped as a requirement. If you are under 16, but over 14 you can choose to have it as a requirement. But it is up to you. You can also choose to go down a weight class.
But I am rusty on board breaking standards, so some of this could be wrong

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
FYI

I was looking through a Century catalog last night and noticed they sell 2x12x1/2" boards....perfect for a 5-7 y/o. My students break boards, these boards break like balsa wood - there should be no problem with them.

Latest Discussions