Which Grand Master

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you are under a GM which one and why. If you had the chance to be under another GM which one would it be and why?

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm between dojangs right now. But if I had my wish, I'd be under C.S. Kim (TSD). Or under my old TSD GM (they trained together at one point). Won't happen, though :( They are both technique geeks like me. I know others are, but you can tell (if you see me and them) that I am just like them. I work hard and my technique is very similar eventhough I'm a lowly 1st gup (thiers is better, but I'm working on that).

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
GM Charles Hildebrand when you are talking purely GM. However, I happen to know a pretty decent hapkido master that I would love to work out under, if I was in the same location. I do get to see the guy often though.
icon12.gif

Honestly, I know these "Famous" Martial Artists like Ji Han Jae, Dan Insanto Jhoon Rhee etc. are good however, I have found that the folks that teach for the pure love of teaching and not for profit or to make a living....i.e. the folks you will never hear of are the best teachers.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
GM Charles Hildebrand when you are talking purely GM. However, I happen to know a pretty decent hapkido master that I would love to work out under, if I was in the same location. I do get to see the guy often though.
icon12.gif

Honestly, I know these "Famous" Martial Artists like Ji Han Jae, Dan Insanto Jhoon Rhee etc. are good however, I have found that the folks that teach for the pure love of teaching and not for profit or to make a living....i.e. the folks you will never hear of are the best teachers.

I could'nt agree more with you

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A part from GM Edward Sell (my instructor), I'd have to go with GM Park, Hae Man (GM Sell's instructor & co-author of Tae Guek poomsae) or GM Uhm, Woon Kyu (Gm Park's instructor & President of the Kukkiwon).

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not directly under a GM right now. If I had a chance I would love to work with some of the long-gone masters. Seisho Aragaki, Ed Parker, or General Choi.

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When I started TKD I was 1 leve under Grand Master Moo Yong Yun, now my current instructor Jim Grimestad was recently promoted to Grand Master. ALthough he is very humble, and does not like to be referred to as Grand Master.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure all of these guys consider or considered themselves grandmasters (a relatively new term in martial arts), but each was or is skilled in their art. If I can pick from the deceased also, I would like to study with these gentlemen:

Seikichi Toguchi and Miyagi Chojun (both deceased) from Goju-Ryu
Shinjo Kiyohide from Uechi-Ryu
Hwang HC and his deceased father Hwang Kee from Moo Du Kwan/Tang Soo Do/Soo Bahk Do
Koichi Tohei (deceased) from Aikido
Leon Jay from Small Circle Jiu-Jitsu
Katsuyuki Kondo from Daito-Ryu Aikijiujutsu
Damir Jamsek of Yagyu Shinkage Ryu

I'm most likely to get the chance to study with Jamsek Sensei since he runs an Aikikai school in my city of Austin.

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I enjoy training under Chung Do Kwan 9th Dan Chung Yun Sung (president of the ATF) although I havent trained with im in a while, he is who I respect on a personal level. (as he is the only person of this level I have ever trained with personally).

I would greatly enjoy and strive to one day journey north to train with Nam Tae Hi and Kong Young Il. It honestly has nothing to due with the ICTF Federation, but rather with the lineage of my instructor. He trained under Kim Bo Kyum (RIP). Later he had the pleasure of time spent with Kong Young Il, Kong Young Bo, Nam Tae Hi.

Nam Tae Hi is one of the most important figures in TKD at this time as he is a generation ahead of most...he was the General's "Right Hand".

Kong Young Il is one of the Oh Do Kwan's best know and widely respected FIGHTERS. A Taekwon-Do master, student, instructor...but he is know to have been the FIGHTER!

These are the men my instructor admires (and my instructor himself is an Oh Do Kwan instructor) and among the first one hundred Instructors of the ITF in its early days. So, if he admires someones ability, personality, spirit, etc then that carries weight with me!

Regards,
Spookey

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One of the best things about my instructors is that they are very open about sharing with other well respected (grand)masters and champions and give us the oppurtunity to work with them. Besides my primary instructors, Tony Thompson and Ernie Reyes, Sr., I've had the oppurtunity to work with people like Mike Innay, Jeff Elliot, and Jimmy Tacosa (escrima); Remy Presas (arnis); Wally and Leon Jay (Small Circle Jujitsu), Ralf Gracie, Cesar Gracie, BJ Penn (BJJ); Frank Shamrock and Bob Cook (MMA and Submission Grappling); Mike Swain (Judo), Anthony Chan, Dennis Brown, John Chuck (Wu Shu); George Dillman and Will Higgenbotham (Kyusho/pressure points); Benny Urquidez, Bill Wallace, and Joe Lewis (kickboxing); Alex Gong, "Woodman", and "Dr.Knees" (not even going to try to spell their real names-Muay Thai); John Sepulveda and Jeff Speakman (American kenpo); Tom Patire (CDT, LRT) among many others. Most of which pretty extensively. Some to the point of certifying me as an instructor (at various levels) in their systems.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
A part from GM Edward Sell (my instructor), I'd have to go with GM Park, Hae Man (GM Sell's instructor & co-author of Tae Guek poomsae) or GM Uhm, Woon Kyu (Gm Park's instructor & President of the Kukkiwon).

It would be an honor to work out under any of these GMs.

Others, for me, would include:

Bong Yul Shin of St. Louis

Ji, Han Jae

Cho, He Il

Gwon, Pu Gil

Jeff Forby of Murphysboro, Ill.

Charles Hildrebrand of St. Louis

Don Angier

Dr. He-young Kimm

airdawg

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm not directly under a GM, I have extreem respect for Dr. Chapel and A. Sandovol.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Grandmaster Tae Zee Park, 9th Dan Kukkiwon. Wouldn't change it for anything. Knows more about Tae Kwon Do technique, history, application, philosophy etc. in his pinky than most know in their whole body.
And I've heard of some of the other Instructors mentioned, including Sell and Humesky. My only response: "no comment."

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was originally taught by GM Sun Ki Chong when he was still a master. I would train with him but he is now teaching in a city too far away to be practical.

UncleDuke

White Belt
Reaction score
When I started TKD I was 1 leve under Grand Master Moo Yong Yun, now my current instructor Jim Grimestad was recently promoted to Grand Master. ALthough he is very humble, and does not like to be referred to as Grand Master.
No disrespect intended, I've known the "wog" since he was nine or ten, was a very good student, very traditional, has the same human failings as the rest of us but tries his best every day for his students. Glad to hear that he still has his humility

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I train under GM Sereff, and feel it a privilege to be referred to as his student. When General Choi was alive I felt privileged host him and to train under him whenever possible. Nothing like getting info first hand.

Similarly with hosting GM Nam Tae Hi and his info.

Visited with GM Han Cha Kyo a few times and he got me out on the floor for a quick impromptu session. Would have liked to have spent more time with him.

Have trained at sessions with Royce, Rickson, Reylson, and Carlson jr. Gracie. I wished I could have spent time with Helio. Felt Royce was the best instructor for someone of my level. Rickson the best athlete.

Attended a session with Wally Jay. Would have liked to have spent more time with him . Similarly with Ji Han Jae.

Hosted Joe Lewis once. He and Bill Wallace are always must see guys when around. Pelligrini can be fun if he's not in a bad mood.

In Sun Seo was way beyond me since he was basicaly a demonstrate and do guy. GM Myung was an excellent instructor and would have liked to have spent more time with him.

Dilman can be fun but you have to watch out for some BS like the no touch knockout stuff.

Similarly Oyata is a guy to see if you get a chance.

Latest Discussions