What happens when

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What happens when you no longer can turn the foot over on your roundhouse, do you make adjustments and if so how do you do this?

I see where with age comes the problem of only turning half or three quarters of the way compare to all the way a few years back, is this normal or is it just me?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I stopped turning my foot completely a few years ago. The rusult for me was cleaner technique, more power and speed, better control, and more range of motion. It was the best thing to happen to my kicking in a long time. Not to mention that my knees don't hurt anymore.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What happens when you no longer can turn the foot over on your roundhouse, do you make adjustments and if so how do you do this?

I see where with age comes the problem of only turning half or three quarters of the way compare to all the way a few years back, is this normal or is it just me?

Hey Terry---I don't know if it's normal, but it's not just you! :wink1: I have a lot of trouble with that on my left foot/leg roundhouse. I have to really drive my knee consciously toward the ground to get the plane of my foot at right angles to the floor so that the whole instep makes contact. Since I started TKD so relatively late in life, I don't know if I'd have been any better when I was younger. But I notice that it's asymmetrical---my right leg roundhouses don't have that problem nearly to the same degree. So I'm going to tell myself it's not age, it's just some skeletal weirdness on my left side.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Terry---I don't know if it's normal, but it's not just you! :wink1: I have a lot of trouble with that on my left foot/leg roundhouse. I have to really drive my knee consciously toward the ground to get the plane of my foot at right angles to the floor so that the whole instep makes contact. Since I started TKD so relatively late in life, I don't know if I'd have been any better when I was younger. But I notice that it's asymmetrical---my right leg roundhouses don't have that problem nearly to the same degree. So I'm going to tell myself it's not age, it's just some skeletal weirdness on my left side.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

Well that is my story as well and I'm sticking to it too.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've not had this problem (tho I have many others:ultracool ) with my knees & the roundhouse, yet.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I always wonder about how the older grandmasters are supposed to do some of these advanced forms. Il Yo w/ it's flying side kicks & the spinning cresent kick in the other advanced form (that I can't remember off the top of my head:ultracool ). Those are big deal techniques more suited to 25 year olds than 60 year olds. GM Sell has really bad knees, but when he tested for 9th Dan, he volunteered to start his test with IL Yo! More power to him. I hope I can do that form when I'm his age (Cuz I'm not sure I can do it now:ultracool )

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
The damndest thing is that it just hurts when I do back leg round house, back leg side kick, or turning side kicks. I can do these front leg like a champ. It is just the nature of the beast. With the exception of the formal poomse, one step sparring and basic moves I will kick front leg only.