Kicking with the instep to the heavy bag hurts like hell

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is it just me? Shoes on is fine but it feels like **** barefeet.

hard kicking shields were fine but the bag..

How do you do it?

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score
Suck it up buttercup.
This. The only way to make something hurt less is to do it more. The only way to withstand pain is to expose yourself to it and become desensitized.

OP, I recommend hitting it less hard and building up to the point where you can kick full force and not feel anything.

sangchae

White Belt
Reaction score

How do you do it?
Its fine after a while. I wear those shin guards with the instep protector when kicking a lot. Its kicking elbows that gives me problems!

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score

How do you do it?
How long and how often have you been training? The instep is a training version of your kicks. When it comes to real-life application, you will most likely be kicking with the shins or the toes (if you are wearing boots). The instep is very delicate, and when kicking hard objects, if not conditioned enough can be painful and even have more serious consequences.

The instep, much like the hand and the wrist is built up of many bones, which individually are tiny and fragile. In order to condition your instep you need to keep kicking with it. This will help you get used to the pain, and at some point, it will deaden your nerves and maybe even harden your bones. However, the reason you are experiencing pain is most likely because you're using them too much and not letting them heal.

Conditioning is akin to rubbing sandpaper on your skin. If you rub it and let it heal, the skin will heal with hardened callouses. If you keep rubbing it without letting it heal, you'll eventually reach the bones and sand your limbs off. You need to balance your conditioning with your recovery to avoid pain and to get used to it. When it comes to the conditioning of say, the knuckles, it's not so much about hardening the knuckles themselves but hardening your mind. The pain never goes away, your tolerance just increases.

Balance the conditioning of your instep with the recovery from the pain and bruises. Remember, recovery is training too.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
How long and how often have you been training? The instep is a training version of your kicks. When it comes to real-life application, you will most likely be kicking with the shins or the toes (if you are wearing boots). The instep is very delicate, and when kicking hard objects, if not conditioned enough can be painful and even have more serious consequences.

The instep, much like the hand and the wrist is built up of many bones, which individually are tiny and fragile. In order to condition your instep you need to keep kicking with it. This will help you get used to the pain, and at some point, it will deaden your nerves and maybe even harden your bones. However, the reason you are experiencing pain is most likely because you're using them too much and not letting them heal.

Conditioning is akin to rubbing sandpaper on your skin. If you rub it and let it heal, the skin will heal with hardened callouses. If you keep rubbing it without letting it heal, you'll eventually reach the bones and sand your limbs off. You need to balance your conditioning with your recovery to avoid pain and to get used to it. When it comes to the conditioning of say, the knuckles, it's not so much about hardening the knuckles themselves but hardening your mind. The pain never goes away, your tolerance just increases.

Balance the conditioning of your instep with the recovery from the pain and bruises. Remember, recovery is training too.

I have trained since 2014 but never on a bag. Can you really condition the instep it's so frail?

Last edited:
OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
This. The only way to make something hurt less is to do it more. The only way to withstand pain is to expose yourself to it and become desensitized.

OP, I recommend hitting it less hard and building up to the point where you can kick full force and not feel anything.

So you can build it up? It's so fragile

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score
So you can build it up? It's so fragile
It's fragile because you haven't built it up yet. I've had plenty of people come to me saying that a pushup is impossible, after which I take one look at their upper body and immediately identify the problem.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's fragile because you haven't built it up yet. I've had plenty of people come to me saying that a pushup is impossible, after which I take one look at their upper body and immediately identify the problem.

The instep isn't a muscle..

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have trained since 2014 but never on a bag. Can you really condition the instep it's so frail?
Everything can be condititoned with proper training and dedication. Just don't make the same mistakes I did. I am a 19 year old guy who is absolutely in love with martial arts. I am obsessed with conditioning and technique perfection, but this led to overzealous training which resulted in injuries. I am fully recovered and stronger than ever, but if you're not careful, consequences can be lifelong.

Martial arts are a very unique thing in this world; they are one of the only activities I know that actively encourage a degree of self harm to achieve self improvement. You need to find the balance between harm and recovery; it's individual for everyone. Some people take longer to heal, others can take more punishment and require longer hours of training.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Everything can be condititoned with proper training and dedication. Just don't make the same mistakes I did. I am a 19 year old guy who is absolutely in love with martial arts. I am obsessed with conditioning and technique perfection, but this led to overzealous training which resulted in injuries. I am fully recovered and stronger than ever, but if you're not careful, consequences can be lifelong.

Martial arts are a very unique thing in this world; they are one of the only activities I know that actively encourage a degree of self harm to achieve self improvement. You need to find the balance between harm and recovery; it's individual for everyone. Some people take longer to heal, others can take more punishment and require longer hours of training.

I know. I am already feeling it. I am 32 so I have to step it down....

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Everything can be condititoned with proper training and
They say the lower part of the shin can't be conditioned. Or maybe the other way around. Thai boxers know which one

Latest Discussions