Kicking too much

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What do you think is to much kicking in my beginners classes we kick about 350 kicks in that time frame with punching and others mix in.

Our mid belts average about 500-650 per class

BB are required to throww50 of every kick they know on each side every class and then we start practice, it normanlly takes them 30 minutes and then we start our routine for that day.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
What you are doing sounds reasonable to me. My concern would a risk of overtraining. It varies from person to person, so setting an amount that would cause it would be nearly impossible.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What you are doing sounds reasonable to me. My concern would a risk of overtraining. It varies from person to person, so setting an amount that would cause it would be nearly impossible.

I agree with this, Terry. What you describe doesn't seem out of line. Kicking is so much more difficult than upper body techs, because of interlinked strength/balance issues, that you really have to spend a good deal of time training kicks if you want to develop competence with kicking comparable to what most people can achieve much more quickly with hand/arm strikes.

My main concern would be ensuring that the different skill components all get their fair share of training time. Power delivery, accuracy and balance all need to be developed, and training methods for each of these are a bit different from training methods for the others.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like too much to me if you want to have great kicks ;)

Generally in regular HKD classes, we do 400-600.

In upper-belt workouts it can end up being twice that.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is a good topic. How frequently do you all practice the more esoterical kicks like the crescents or twist kicks and all the jumping and spinning variations of the other kicks? I'm much more interested in the self-defense aspects of the martial arts, so I prefer to concentrate on perfecting the front kick, side kick, roundhouse kick, and back kick. If we're really bored, perhaps we might add in the spinning back kick, but that's really it for my group.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is a good topic. How frequently do you all practice the more esoterical kicks like the crescents or twist kicks and all the jumping and spinning variations of the other kicks? I'm much more interested in the self-defense aspects of the martial arts, so I prefer to concentrate on perfecting the front kick, side kick, roundhouse kick, and back kick. If we're really bored, perhaps we might add in the spinning back kick, but that's really it for my group.

We consider crescents, twist kicks, backside kicks (aka "spinning" back kick) all to be basic kicks and will generally be included along with axe kicks (both inside and outside), front heel kicks, etc.

Any other spinning/turning kicks, however, along with jumping/flying kicks are all considered advanced kicking.

The numbers mentioned above are usually only basic kicks. Advanced kicking, if also trained on that particular day, would be in addition to those.

Usually on a day we train advanced kicking, there will be fewer basic kicks trained (maybe only 200-400) — but not always. Kind of depends on what else is on the agenda for that training session.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's probably twice as many kicks as we do in a single class. I don't see anything wrong with 500-600 kicks, nor do I think it's too much. It's just that our classes are an hour long and divided equally between foot work and hand work. Also, in every class we spend time doing slllloooowwww kicks. You know, taking about 20-30 seconds to go through the motion of a single kick. I think it's the best way to learn balance, control and proper form (I'm a real stickler for it.)

Now sparring class is a different story.....

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dunno ... to me it sounds like overkill.

For instance ... we had a guy in our class who did more than 700 jumping jacks in a row. Amazing, right? but really ... why??

Endurance can (and likely should) be trained in other ways, else you get a repetitive injury or syndrome. So the question is, are you after GOOD / EFFECTIVE kicks or MANY kicks?

Too much repitition can also lead to sloppiness, so correct practice should be the focus and a reasonable quantity.

:idunno: just a thot

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

For instance ... we had a guy in our class who did more than 700 jumping jacks in a row. Amazing, right? but really ... why??

Endurance can (and likely should) be trained in other ways, else you get a repetitive injury or syndrome. So the question is, are you after GOOD / EFFECTIVE kicks or MANY kicks?

Too much repitition can also lead to sloppiness, so correct practice should be the focus and a reasonable quantity.

We are all after the same thing that eludes each and everyone of us perfection but to answer your question ggod effective kick that can be a reaction and not have to be thought about before doing with proper techniques and balance.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

So which kicks do you leave out then? :)

Easy to get to 1,000 (500 each leg)

10 reps, each leg:

low section: front, side, round, stomp, twist, scythe, hook (140)

mid section: front, side, round, stomp, twist, backside, arc (280)

high section: front, side, round, hook, crescent inside, crescent outside, axe inside, axe outside, front heel, twist, upward heel, (520)

Then add in some combination kicking: front+round; double side; double round; twist+side; outside crescent+side; double front; round+hook; hook+round; double side; and there's 700 ...

(shrug) Unlike jumping jacks or jogging, is a great aerobic exercise that is also giving you essential repetition in core techniques.

Training is highly specific: you get good at what you do.

Want to kick well? Do lots of kicking.

After 15+ years I don't have any repetitive injuries. After 30+ years neither does my instructor.

On the other hand, an hour pounding asphalt or concrete like many people doing during jogging will and DOES tear those knee joints up. And what do you get good at when you jog?

Endurance training is also very specific as you learn to relax during exercise you do — I can kick for hours without ever getting overwinded, which is GREAT for a martial artist, no?

But you can jog all day and while your base cardio will improve, 15 minutes of kicking might have you winded.

YMMV, but I bet not by much ;)

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What do you think is to much kicking in my beginners classes we kick about 350 kicks in that time frame with punching and others mix in.

Our mid belts average about 500-650 per class

BB are required to throww50 of every kick they know on each side every class and then we start practice, it normanlly takes them 30 minutes and then we start our routine for that day.

Hello everyone!!
I recently moved and don't yet have intenet at the new place (which is driving me crazy!!!!) so I haven't been able to check in much. Hopefully I'll be back in full force soon!

Master Terry, do you require this of BBs before the come in to any class, or do you do it as a warm up to your specific BB class? We have gone through phases of doing something like this where after each class we attend we do so many kicks, but haven't done it in awhile... maybe I'll start it back up again! As someone else said, that is how you get good!

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello everyone!!
I recently moved and don't yet have intenet at the new place (which is driving me crazy!!!!) so I haven't been able to check in much. Hopefully I'll be back in full force soon!

Master Terry, do you require this of BBs before the come in to any class, or do you do it as a warm up to your specific BB class? We have gone through phases of doing something like this where after each class we attend we do so many kicks, but haven't done it in awhile... maybe I'll start it back up again! As someone else said, that is how you get good!

Yes I require this as part of the warm-up before class then the workout.