Ki response to punch

vic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone do this kind of training? I know the title is misleading. The demo is for training not actual response and the punch is more of a push.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone do this kind of training? I know the title is misleading. The demo is for training not actual response and the punch is more of a push.
Like many of these kind of things the principle of intercepting a punch early and redirecting it is OK
These guys are getting way too carried away and extrapolating to simulate very unrealistic effects

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which training will give you better result?

1. Catch a punch.
2. Block/dodge a punch.

IMO 1 < 2.

I assume it is some sort of concept drill rather than a practical technique.

But there is probably better ways to to drill that concept.

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It can work but in extremely rare situations and usually by accident. This kind of dealing with punch during actual combat requires nearly superhuman timing.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Can't put the sound on right now so I can't check whether they're making sense according to my current understanding of ki/aiki work. The position in the drill is probably too artificial to gain any transferrable skill. If they managed to redirect punches to the face from some kind of guard it would be cool.

Otherwise you can do aiki stuff in punching positions but you're much more likely to make contact on the arm rather than catch the fist (cf below, especially from 1:00 onwards). Obviously you can't put any strength at the point of contact, which is effing hard to do in movement as you have to fight your own reflex of pushing back.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Theory and concept minus application and understanding of concept in the context of a real punch.

Yes, I do this type of training but I balance it out with application and understanding in the context of a real strike.

Engineers draw concept planes but someone must still fly it and understand in the context of flying

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assume it is some sort of concept drill rather than a practical technique.

But there is probably better ways to to drill that concept.
There may be something I don’t know about what they are doing, but it looks to me like a misapplication of a concept drill, as if it were direct application. I’ve seen this a fair amount with aiki body mechanics drills, where their application within technique (indirect application) wasn’t understood.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We might want to consider that there might be training done outside this video that we don't see. As a result, we might want to avoid critiquing this video for what we don't see in it. Also, the meaning of what we do see might be informed by context that we don't see.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We might want to consider that there might be training done outside this video that we don't see. As a result, we might want to avoid critiquing this video for what we don't see in it. Also, the meaning of what we do see might be informed by context that we don't see.
It think it'ssafe to say that they are learning and discussing concept and not fighting application. Focus is on what to feel.

Last edited:

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It think it'ssafe to say that they are learning and discussing concept and not fighting application. Focus is on what to feel.
Agreed. It's a sensing, integrating, and conceptualizing exercise, I think.

Latest Discussions