Kenpo Variations, Changing and Mixing it up.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Had a chat with someone recently and part of the conversation turned to kenpo. We were discussing the idea of taking an existing form, or technique or kata, and twisting it up and ripping it apart. For the sake of argument I'll use EPAK Short 1 and Delayed Sword as examples, but any tech will do.

Have you tried running the tech with not only an open hand, and closed hand, but with a knife, a stick and a sword in hand? Single and double. How about in reverse? Both sides favored? (ie first with a right lead, next with a left lead)

I'm curious on what everyone's thoughts are on this.​

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a good idea. You will find that if you use a live blade, you can really cut yourself; so, you don't adapt the knife to the tech, you adapt the tech to the blade; or, discard the idea all together.
Sean

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I guess I thought that sort of "changing and mixing it up" was the norm. Forms 5 & 6 are already in the systems as examples of armed adaptions of unarmed techniques and one of the sets. From the perspective of bladed systems many of those adaptions have problems apart in user safety and common sense, but they are extant examples of just what you are talking about.

In any case, yes I did it, and did it again while learning kali as it provided additional information into my own education. And while I found it useful, in retrospect I think my time would have been better spent doing 6 months of kali/escrima/arnis in the first place.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely. I do think it is important to understand the techniques as they are and be able to make them work, because they do. Many people "master" a technique or kata after practicing it for a week, then begin to mix it up without a solid understanding of what is in the mix.

But yes, by all means, mix it up.

shaolinmonkmark

Green Belt
Reaction score
Had a chat with someone recently and part of the conversation turned to kenpo. We were discussing the idea of taking an existing form, or technique or kata, and twisting it up and ripping it apart. For the sake of argument I'll use EPAK Short 1 and Delayed Sword as examples, but any tech will do.

Have you tried running the tech with not only an open hand, and closed hand, but with a knife, a stick and a sword in hand? Single and double. How about in reverse? Both sides favored? (ie first with a right lead, next with a left lead)

I'm curious on what everyone's thoughts are on this.

we do this at my school alot, work on "Bunkai", then mix up everything, then, we pair off, by rank, and slowly work on a flow drill from bits and pieces of a form/kata, and add a little "Sugar and spice, kempo flow"!
The goal is to follow the path of the dragon, always continuously maintain control, and flow, to a finish of the opponent. Example, hook thrown, "L" step in with double knife hand blocks to wrist and bicep, simultaneously deliver a left cross hand shuto to side of throat, followed by a left back to knuckle short hook to opponent's baby ribs.Right hand grabs left side of head, simultaneously delivering a left roundhouse elbow to right side of templar region of head.( my "Additive" : from the "Sandwich position, right hand tiger claw's under opponent's jaw, and tears upwards, followed by left tiger's mouth to throat, simultaneously right leg hock to opponent's left leg, then right "Stomp-thrust -kick to groin, cross hands on guard"

Latest Discussions