Kenpo Sets

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
nlkenpo said:
There's a few sets that IMHO should not be named sets but forms.

Staf set
Two men set

I've always been taught that a set is a list of basics, while a form is a pre-designed fight, mostly against an imaginary opponent. In both staf set and two men set, there's not just a list of basics, but there are actul techniques. That's why IMHO these are in fact not sets, but forms.

Amongst the actual sets I like finger strike set nr. 2 a lot because there's a very nice flow in the movements. I hate kicking set nr. 2 because I look like a moron doing the back chicken kicks :rolleyes:.

Marcel
"Kenpo Forms do not represent an imaginary fight, they are there to teach you opposites and reverses of motions" -- Richard "Huk" Planas

I can't imagine the forms after short 3 being an imaginary fight unless the attackers always come in pairs executing the same attack twice. Not too logical to me. Also given that definition Staff Set and Two Man Set do have techniques but don't show opposites and reverses too well hense why they aren't classified as forms. Some food for thought.

Respectfully,
James

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
nlkenpo said:
I can follow the argument that the sets do not add as much now as they did in the beginning when I learned them. However, Because they added a lot when I learned them, they will probably add a lot to new students, so I will have to keep myself up-to-date with them.
Absolutely. Total agreement here.

Kenpobuff

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jim Mitchell has added these 3rd sets in his system. Reflecting his experience in the Tracy system and his time with Mr. Parker developing the second sets and taking it another step forward.

Steve

Latest Discussions