Kenpo Principles

Originally posted by Sandor

Mace did a good job of explaining the cat stance. I'll give you the others.

They make sense now, thankyou :)

However, I think I'd struggle to be in the correct range for the front snap on delayed sword/sword of destruction if I didn't step back...

Also, on begging hands, stepping back into a cat pulls the attacker of balance, if this wasn't done it'd be whooly less effective (from my perception anyway)

I don't think I know of any other examples at present, I'll have a look trhough my notes,

Ian.

Hey Ian,
In delayed sword, your back foot doesn't move when you cat back as a beginner. So your range will not change if you fire the kick from point of origin, only the distance the kick must travel. Try altering your target if you feel jammed, say to the inside of the right thigh. Let me know if it works for you.
In begging hands, you want to drop your weight with the first move to use marriage of gravity to break the grab. Your left foot will step back, but your mass doesn't, it settles downwards. Add the torque of the hands circling in opposite directions and its a very effective move. It actually has more power than stepping back and just using the rear delts and lats.Hope that helps.
Mace

Regarding the cat stance, it seems to me that the rule is not to try to keep you from using a cat stance or from stepping back. Rather, it's about keeping your energy and force going forward while you do either of those things, and when you do them together. It's hard to explain in words. See Leaping Crane for an example of stepping away from the opponent while keeping the energy moving toward them -- if you can stop and stand on one foot during the second move, you need to work on keeping your energy forward. That can be applied to some degree any time you step back and kick. I have to be reminded of keeping energy forward all the time, like when I learned Raining Claw last night. :(

Note "energy" in this case is about balance and focus and bracing angles, not about manipulting energy like a soft stylist might do.

When I've heard the "cross-over before you step through" it has been in the contect of the cross-out after finishing a technique. As stated, the idea is to protect the centerline (read: groin) until far enough away from the bad guy.

Mr. Conatser, are there any items on the CKF list that you would not put on your list? I would be interested in seeing differences in your priorities/approach and the author of that list (whoever it was, Mr. Planas, Mr. Wedlake, etc.).

Originally posted by Mace

Hey Ian,
In delayed sword, your back foot doesn't move when you cat back as a beginner. So your range will not change if you fire the kick from point of origin, only the distance the kick must travel. Try altering your target if you feel jammed, say to the inside of the right thigh. Let me know if it works for you.

This is where it gets diffuclt to discuss stuff on-line, rather than in a dojo, ah well!

Firstly, are we both starting delayed sword from a stood normal stance? Thats how I start it.

From there, your feet are in a horizontal line with each other, so to get into a cat stance you're going to have to either slide the left foot back, which is what I'd do all the time, or slide the right foot forwards, which I can't recalle ever doing.

If I were to step forwards, bearing in mind the attack is a lapel grab then I would be in range for a roundhouse or fowards knee, but there's no way I could get a snap kick in. Stepping back it all lines up perfectly...

Ian.

Hi Ian,
You are right, this is tough over a forum. Lets see if we can get on the same page. Starting from a natural stance for delayed sword, step back with the left foot but settle down and forward with your inward block. Now instead of catting backwards with the right foot and bringing your weight back as well, keep your weight forward and fire the kick from point of origin. You should be albe to slightly bend your right knee while in your neutral to "chamber" the kick. You still have your line, you just aren't pulling away from your opponent to go back in with the kick.
Hope this helps,
Mace

Originally posted by Mace

Hi Ian,
You are right, this is tough over a forum. Lets see if we can get on the same page. Starting from a natural stance for delayed sword, step back with the left foot but settle down and forward with your inward block. Now instead of catting backwards with the right foot and bringing your weight back as well, keep your weight forward and fire the kick from point of origin. You should be albe to slightly bend your right knee while in your neutral to "chamber" the kick. You still have your line, you just aren't pulling away from your opponent to go back in with the kick.
Hope this helps,
Mace

Ahh, I see what you mean now, I think I had my wires slightly crossed. You're not referring to stepping backwards into a cat stance as 'catting back' but more how you move the kicking leg? If I understand correctly.

In that case yes, I can see how you can apply it in delayed sword, there's no need to weight shift backwards fully, although the more weight you shift back the better marriage of gravity you get on the handsword, so I think a happy medium needs to be found.

A solid principle though now I know what it means!

Thanks,

Ian.

Originally posted by Seig

Somehow, i think I am off his Christmas Card list!:roflmao:

Are you kidding? Hit Men get top priority!:sniper:

Originally posted by Seig

I thought it meant I didn't have to get him one at all!:mad:

Hey, I don't ask for much! Just a little ranking within the IKKO would be a good start!(5th Dan):D

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

the wrapping paper for Christmas.:rofl: what else!
:asian:

No paper needed, just one big red bow!:D

he delusional......:rofl:

I can't help it. it's that climate in Arizona! it does things to you, things you can't imagine!:eek:

Well, I hope one thing is smart decision someday....
hee hee:rofl:

:asian:

Oh ,oh. A hidden message from the "Golden One!" I need help in deciphering this one!:eek:

Latest Discussions

Back