Kenpo... physical, intellectual, or both?

Kenpo is....

• scientific... the body reacts in certain ways for certain reasons, and understanding this is a good

• philosophical... if its a matter of life or death, right or wrong...

• physical. just hit them and be done with it.

• a combination of all of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well....

the sparta/athens post started out kinda interesting, but got mired in the historical stuff about Athens and Sparta, and something about a fictional book, rather than the point, which was ....

do you find kenpo to be scientific, or do you find that the physical components sometimes get lost amongst the philosophy?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472
well....

the sparta/athens post started out kinda interesting, but got mired in the historical stuff about Athens and Sparta, and something about a fictional book, rather than the point, which was ....

do you find kenpo to be scientific, or do you find that the physical components sometimes get lost amongst the philosophy?
My point was wheather kenpo practitioners were spartan or athenic. By that question I was asking who would accept new information and who was happy with the old information only. I guess the unwillingness to explore new info would fall under the philisophical catagory and the willingness to explore new ideas would be scientific.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Can I answer "None of the Above"?

Science requires empirical proof -- Kenpo techniques are done on a cooperating partner and not on a resisting one.
The philosophy is way over the top bordering on religious ritual.
The physical got lost along the way -- see the "Chunking Up" thread.

With a little less cooperation from our partners, a little less talk, and a little more thumping, we could all change our answers to "All of the above"

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
With all due respect, all of the above.

Mr. Planas said in a recent seminar that "most people go along with the program" and then he had us resist against our partner. He also said that if your partner does not know how to react that you can always "make them" react properly...

And Mr. Duffy will do that. If you do something "goofy" or don't cooperate, he will not hesitate to show you how the technique really works. And usually when he demonstrates a new technique it doesn't matter if I cooperate or not, he will do it and I will "cooperate" because I have no choice.

Sometimes "It's not easy being a dummy." :asian:

P.S. I'm not sure what you mean exactly by the Philosophy but there are some who perhaps overemphasize the intellectual component and don't "thump" enough. So I agree that that can easily happen, but for example on Tuesday 3 of us ran through a Brown chart for about 2hrs and never took a break. So there were no protracted discussions during that session.

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
Kenpo techniques are done on a cooperating partner and not on a resisting one.

I don't know why you keep saying that. That is not a factual statement like you put it. That is a matter of opinion based on YOUR past experiences. While there is usually SOME amount of cooperation...there can be as much, or more resistance, especially if the dummy knows what you are doing, and knows how to counter.
:asian:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... all you want. When working hard on techniques, you always have some people who don't, won't, or can't simulate the appropriate reaction. I also find you have some "beginners", who want you to "prove" what you are doing works ... some of these "beginners" are 230 lbs of pure meat, gristle, and attitude ... not to mention already having black belts in other systems.

Something that was jokingly said to me a couple of decades ago has stuck with me, when I did not react for a high ranking belt, and in fact resisted strongly. He laughingly said, "Don't worry, I won't let you make me look bad" THUMP.

I went from a light sparring with one of my guys, to being severely grappled with. While he was going for the ankle, I had one hand behind his cup, my other hand had fingers in his eyes, while I was kicking him in the kidneys with the heel of the other foot. He never got the ankle lock, and in fact, ended up stacking me. But somehow I proved I could stand up to the abuse, and in his words "I could not beat him, but I could have killed him." An interesting lesson for me and him. I am big enough to never be seriously manhandled, but not nearly as big as him. At 6'4" with less than 8% body fat, and guns as big as my thighs, he was not intimidated by how I moved or my size. For him it was "feeling is believing."

Great fun! I learned, he learned, and then he kept on coming back for several years, convinced that Kenpo had things to teach that his other systems did not.

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
Can I answer "None of the Above"?

Science requires empirical proof -- Kenpo techniques are done on a cooperating partner and not on a resisting one.

With a little less cooperation from our partners, a little less talk, and a little more thumping, we could all change our answers to "All of the above"

Kenpo techniques may be done on a cooperating partner where you train but I certainly don't work them that way. Your experience is limited to you and yours and mine is mine. I can hit and talk at the same time and teach the lesson just as easy.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
Scientific does not require empirical proof, Science does.
Scientific uses principles based on Science.

Philosphy is a state of mind.

Physical is what you put into it.

Therefore, bowling can contain all three.*G

Bowling has friction, force and kinetic energy. all three of these are scientic principles. It also requires focus and concentration...and even practice.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by cdhall
So I agree that that can easily happen, but for example on Tuesday 3 of us ran through a Brown chart for about 2hrs and never took a break. So there were no protracted discussions during that session.

I would have loved a class session like that.:asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth
All I do is try my best each time in the studio.:asian:

Only in the studio???????????

Attachments

• $emperor.gif
    $emperor.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 165

Latest Discussions