The Dragon and the Tiger

C

clapping_tiger

I was thinking about the tiger and the dragon and their relation to Kenpo. We don’t talk much about these things in class and I thought I would bring it up here. The tiger represents ferocity, aggression, strength, power, and overall physical fighting prowess, while the dragon, an awesome fighter in it’s own right, represents knowledge, wisdom, insight, and longevity. I was thinking that these two creatures in a way represent the learning process of Kenpo. In the early stages of your learning (like perhaps brown belt to 5th degree) your mostly in the tiger phase, mostly raw power. Then as you progress you would lean more towards the Dragon. Sharing your knowledge and experience with the tigers and keeping the art alive and flowing. Like on some patches the tiger and dragon are fighting, or chasing each other.

I don’t know, maybe this is a corny thread. Has anybody given any thought to this, or does anyone know the reason these two were chosen to be symbols of Kenpo?

Atlanta-Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree and I personaly think that this is something that all black belts should consider no matter what degree they are. I have made it a point to try ti find "my dragon" and to not only be this way toward kenpo but life in general. This does not happen over night and I find myself struggling with it daily but in the big picture of things martial arts is really about self improvement. I was luckly enough to have some friends that were very much in the dragon mode and they care enough to guid me. I hope that there are others out there helping out those who are in need.:asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Origin posted by clapping_tiger
Does anyone know the reason these two were chosen to be symbols of Kenpo?

Who says they were chosen symbols of Kenpo? Just because they are on the Crest? Is that what you are getting at?

If you know what they represent ......
The "Tiger"
and
The "Dragon"
in the definitions is the reason.......

TIGER:
Represents the EARTHLY STRENGTH [Fist of the Warrior] derived during the early stages of learning. This is the stage where the individual is more impressed with his/her own physical prowess.

DRAGON:
Represents SPIRITUAL STRENGTH [Book of the Scholar] (courage and confidence) which comes with seasoning. This mental attitude is attained during the individual's later years of training. It is placed above earthly strength (tiger) as indicated and observed on the patch, since the individual at this stage has learned to develop humility and self restraint.

That's why......
:asian:

p.s. besides they look cool!

OP
C

clapping_tiger

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
Who says they were chosen symbols of Kenpo? Just because they are on the Crest? Is that what you are getting at?

Yes because they are on the Crest, and along with just about every school patch, or logo. I did not mean that they were the only symbols, I just ment from the animal kingdom as taken from the Chinese arts.

Thanks for the informative reply, I never know the actual definitions of "The Tiger" and "The Dragon". Like I said, we have not talked about this in class and what I did learn was from reading. Once again thanks for the Info.
:asian:

Latest Discussions