What's real, what isn't?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Then, you mention something about the spiritual side of things. Well, find a school that delves into that aspect. I doubt you'll find a school that has a 50-50 mix of both.
For me personally, I wouldn't get my spiritual nourishment from a martial arts school. That's just asking for trouble. To be guided spiritually by someonewho hasn't been trained toguide people in that context.

OP
M

Martlet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For me personally, I wouldn't get my spiritual nourishment from a martial arts school. That's just asking for trouble. To be guided spiritually by someonewho hasn't been trained toguide people in that context.

Yeah. My wording is clunky, or I've watched too many movies. I get my spiritual nourishment from Church every week. Maybe I'm not sure what exactly it is I'm looking for. I'm meeting with two facilities tonight, so that should help.

Olde Phart

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Maybe it's a mental discipline that you lack and are seeking. MA has made major changes in my disposition and outlook on life.

OP
M

Martlet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Maybe it's a mental discipline that you lack and are seeking. MA has made major changes in my disposition and outlook on life.

Perhaps. I don't think it's mental discipline, but I think you're on the right track. Maybe focus?

Olde Phart

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Macht nichts. (German. Loose translation: 6 of one, half a dozen of another)

chiquest

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Huge? Maybe that's a good thing. According to Master Ken, the more advanced a Kenpo practitioner is, the bigger his waistline.

It depends on the teacher and the system. It does seem like their is a lot of slapping and hitting oneself in some Kenpo styles. Also, there are many obese Kenpo Instructors, but not all of us are like that. In my Kenpo system (from the James Mitose-William Chow-Adriano Emperado-Marino Tiwanak-Florentino Pancipanci-John Redmon lineage) there are no overweight Instructors. We have never taught a "slap art", but instead, straight-forward defensive and offensive techniques with emphasis on mental and physical fitness...similar to some Japanese styles (James Mitose was Japanese). My Instructor, John Redmon, didn't talk much either, but was able to clearly convey a deeper benefit from practicing Martial Arts. His methods were very effective. I have been practicing everyday for the past 50 years because of his instruction.

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Look up Nietzsche
If Nietzche were alive today....
1661370453167.png

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What about him?

The idea is spirituality is gained by engaging in hardship. So rather than avoiding it you embrace it.

Good martial arts is hardship.

Stoicism is also a popular idea of martial arts and spiritual growth.

OP
M

Martlet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What does everyone think about ATA Martial Arts? They seem to be a national chain?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What does everyone think about ATA Martial Arts? They seem to be a national chain?
An old training partner of mine trained at one of their locations before he switched schools, for a couple years (as an adult). He had a pretty solid striking foundation that transferred to kempo easily, and if I remember right rose through the ranks pretty swiftly. He liked training there, and the one he went to seems to have been good, but I can't guarantee if that's true for all the locations. This particular location was in NY.

OLD DOG NEW TRICKS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a spring chicken, but ran into a guy in his 60's that started Kenpo a few years ago. He said a few things that got me interested and started me down the online research rabbit hole. There aren't many places to train that are close enough to me that that I could consistently get there. I've narrowed it down to 2, maybe three, and have spoken to the two that are close enough. Both were very different.

One essentially worked out of his garage, was very out of shape, said he had good lineage to Parker and talked a lot about weapons training. I'll sit in on a class, but our discussion seemed odd and not like he had a structured training plan. He didn't seem interested in the mental or emotional aspects of Kenpo at all. Much of what I researched online spoke quite a bit about this.

The other was a young guy who seemed to have a very structured training, didn't have a ton to say on the phone but I guess I wouldn't expect him to, invited me to watch a class, but seemed to really not be very deep spiritually. He had a marketer who answered his messages and booked people looking for information, but he wasn't really hard to get hold of when I expressed an interest in talking to him. He really didn't have much to say when I asked about lineage.

I've done a bunch of research online and it seems like there are a million different styles of Kenpo, lots of them throwing shade on the others, no real oversight, and that lineage is important. I've also seen the Tracy's have a virtual option. I don't see how that would be a good primary source of instruction for me, but it's inexpensive enough it may be worth signing up for as supplemental learning? Maybe that would just mess up my primary instruction? I really enjoy reading/researching/studying the "why" and philosophy of things, even if it's online, but I'd prefer direction from an expert.

I guess my question is how do you know? What questions should I ask? Does it even make a difference?
Hello, at 50 as an overweight tall man I started Ed Parker style Kenpo. Trained 8 years with very competent instructors in Florida. They received their training from direct students of Ed Parker, Lee Wedlake and Huk Planas these men are the best in the world and very professional and knowledgeable. Look for an instructor that can be affiliated with the master instructors and u will be fine. If they don't know who they are run away. Kenpo is an amazing and very usable system for self defense. I have BBs in other systems but I always go back to kenpo for real world self defense. Ron

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The idea is spirituality is gained by engaging in hardship. So rather than avoiding it you embrace it.

Good martial arts is hardship.

Stoicism is also a popular idea of martial arts and spiritual growth.

As they say, "Embrace the suck."

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've known a lot of guys who were heavy set from the git go, still heavy set now, still a force to be reckoned with
Me too. Samoans and Hawaiians, for example, tend to be heavyset. Master Tino Tuliosega (probably misspelled it) of Lima Lama and Ed Parker come to mind. Their arts don't seem to penalize for small or large size. In fact, they allow big guys to utilize their size to a high degree. There is a way of moving to put all that weight behind close-in strikes to devastating effect. Parker was scarry. I've heard Master Tino was even scarrier. Having met him, I don't doubt it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Me too. Samoans and Hawaiians, for example, tend to be heavyset. Master Tino Tuliosega (probably misspelled it) of Lima Lama and Ed Parker come to mind. Their arts don't seem to penalize for small or large size. In fact, they allow big guys to utilize their size to a high degree. There is a way of moving to put all that weight behind close-in strikes to devastating effect. Parker was scarry. I've heard Master Tino was even scarrier. Having met him, I don't doubt it.
Yes. I know a few Hawaiians and Samoans who are extremely BIG. Tongans, too.

I've always liked Lima Lama. Learned some neat stuff from some of those boys.

Latest Discussions