Kenpo in the UK

P

pineapple head

They are not that many Kenpo schools in the United Kingdom , so why don't some of you nice American chaps move over here for a couple of years , start a school , work a couple of guys to brown belt level then move back home....the brown belts open up a school , recruit lots of students and they ya go....Kenpo the most popular martial art in the UK.....da da!:boing2:

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by pineapple head

They are not that many Kenpo schools in the United Kingdom , so why don't some of you nice American chaps move over here for a couple of years , start a school , work a couple of guys to brown belt level then move back home....the brown belts open up a school , recruit lots of students and they ya go....Kenpo the most popular martial art in the UK.....da da!:boing2:
I actually looked into that a few years ago. The emmigration thing was a pain in the proverbial backside. And your cost of living is way too high for my taste, it would require a heck of a bankroll to even get started.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score

They are not that many Kenpo schools in the United Kingdom, so why don't some of you nice American chaps move over here for a couple of years , start a school , work a couple of guys to brown belt level then move back home....the brown belts open up a school , :

Lets put this into perspective.

Firstly, the United Kingdom is quite a small place, a little smaller than California. (Approx.)
I know of 23 Kenpo schools or clubs in the UK, and there are bound to be some I don't know about.

If we add the Channel Islands, and Ireland the number will be far greater.

Why work a couple of guys to Brown Belt?
In the UK we already have somewhere around 100 Black Belts, of various levels, some of whom were personal students of SGM Ed Parker.

Again, add the Channel Islands and Ireland and you are probably looking at around 300. (A guess)

I have been fortunate enough to train with many of the 'English' Kenpo Instructors, and in my opinion (grade for grade) they are equal to any in the world.

Les

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wertle

Scotland is close enough, right? ^_^

Actually, Scotland is part of the United Kingdom.

The UK is made up of England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland.

But it's still only a small place :)

Les

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig

I actually looked into that a few years ago. The emmigration thing was a pain in the proverbial backside. And your cost of living is way too high for my taste, it would require a heck of a bankroll to even get started.

Seig,

Never mind the cost of living.... you should see the lousy weather.

If my memory serves me correctly, back in the 70's Mr C used to live in the south east of England for a time.

Les

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I see more all the time. I also heard Diane Wheeler might be getting the bug to come here too!
We can't come over there now, no one there left to work with. lol

;)

OP
P

pineapple head

Originally posted by Les

Lets put this into perspective.

Firstly, the United Kingdom is quite a small place, a little smaller than California. (Approx.)
I know of 23 Kenpo schools or clubs in the UK, and there are bound to be some I don't know about.

If we add the Channel Islands, and Ireland the number will be far greater.

Why work a couple of guys to Brown Belt?
In the UK we already have somewhere around 100 Black Belts, of various levels, some of whom were personal students of SGM Ed Parker.

Again, add the Channel Islands and Ireland and you are probably looking at around 300. (A guess)

I have been fortunate enough to train with many of the 'English' Kenpo Instructors, and in my opinion (grade for grade) they are equal to any in the world.

Les

That put me in my place....:)

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score

That put me in my place....:)

Gary,

That wasn't my intention, but a lot of the Kenpo instructors in the UK seem to keep themselves 'low profile'.

There are some great instructors here, who are happy to work in their own club with their own students.

Then there are the 'egomonsters' who feature in certain magazines every other month, talking a load of bullsh*t about something way over their heads. (No names..no pack drill)

:soapbox:

Les