Ken Ryu Kenpo

Devin_Ken Ryu Kenpo

White Belt
Reaction score
well,ken ryu kenpo is basically a mutt of the kenpos, its a bunch put together anyway, i am currently a yellow belt, and a purple belt in kung fu.

Anyways, today since im on the tournament team, it was forms day, so we were doing stretches, suddenly, we had to to splits, mr. perdermo had me do em supporting myself with my fists, and i went as low as i could, he sat on my back, and i kinda went all the way down to the ground... Ow!!

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Couple observations:

Are you trying to reply to another post? Because this post is kinda random--

Also, a forceful stretching activity as you mentioned could seriously injure yourself so be careful.

James

OP
Devin_Ken Ryu Kenpo

Devin_Ken Ryu Kenpo

White Belt
Reaction score
yes it was very random, i dont know, just trying to fit a few things in one post. Umm, it was not my choice for him to sit on me, this is just so i could kick higher, and he triedto get me lower, i couldnt go lower, he sat on my back, and i went down full splits, i thought i broke my leg to be honest...

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Personally, I would be very hesitant about giving money to someone who sat on my back to extend a stretch.

As a karate instructor, it is probably a safe bet that he does not know your complete medical and physical history. Putting that kind of force onto the body, for that purpose, could be considered abuse.

I am thinking now of my lower back, and an auto accident that I had some 18 or 19 years ago. While normally, that accident gives no outward manifestation, sometimes, it creates spasms that prevent me from moving. I am imagining that instructor sitting on my back, and doing permanent damage.

Doesn't matter how many pretty charts he has .... I would run, not walk, away.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Personally, I would be very hesitant about giving money to someone who sat on my back to extend a stretch.

As a karate instructor, it is probably a safe bet that he does not know your complete medical and physical history. Putting that kind of force onto the body, for that purpose, could be considered abuse.

I am thinking now of my lower back, and an auto accident that I had some 18 or 19 years ago. While normally, that accident gives no outward manifestation, sometimes, it creates spasms that prevent me from moving. I am imagining that instructor sitting on my back, and doing permanent damage.

Doesn't matter how many pretty charts he has .... I would run, not walk, away.

I couldn't agree more! Stretching of any kind, needs to be done slowly, gradually building up. Having someone do what this guy did, tells me that he either has no idea what he's doing or he just does not care about his students well being.

Mike

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yikes. Reminds me of a hotshot instructor (note: lower case) at the TKD school I used to attend. He had a penchant for forcibly stretching people further than they were supposed to go which manifested itself several times in hurt students.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Alan D'Allessandro sounds like he's the real deal, but this Perdermo guy needs to be put in check pretty quickly. I doubt D'Allesandro would have pulled that stunt himself. I'd be interested to see D'Allessandro's curriculum if it's available.

OP
Devin_Ken Ryu Kenpo

Devin_Ken Ryu Kenpo

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes, i agree with you Danjo. I dont pay perdermo, he is just the team coach, but yeah, i agree it is like abuse, but whatever, nothing happened, so im grateful.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Devin_Ken Ryu Kenpo said:
Yes, i agree with you Danjo. I dont pay perdermo, he is just the team coach, but yeah, i agree it is like abuse, but whatever, nothing happened, so im grateful.

Nothing happened this time. But how about next time, or the time after that? Injuries of the spine, joints, and tendons, are injuries that can be quite severe. And some can last a lifetime.