One question...

Devin_Ken Ryu Kenpo

White Belt
Reaction score
well, since a stripe color is usually if not always the color of your next belt, does this mean since a black belt consists of a red stripe, that a red belt will be held within the future? Because in ken-ryu kenpo,you become a jr black belt, get your 3 stripes, become a 1st degree black belt, second, blah, and those are gold stripes, but the ones you get when your a jr black belt, are red. ...

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You should probably direct those question to your instructor.

At the school where I study, a 'Junior Black Belt' has only learned a portion of the material to become a black belt. A Junior Yellow Belt has learned six techniques, an Adult Yellow Belt has learned thirteen techniques. A Junior Orange Belt has learned eight techniques, an adult Orange Belt has learned sixteen techniques.

By the time a Junior has reached 'Black Belt', they have learned about the same amount of material as an Adult Blue Belt (although not the same techniques).

When the Junior reaches an age that is appropriate, they transfer over to the Adult classes, where they start at the beginning. The first thing the Junior does is to re-learn the original Yellow Belt Techniques he has already been presented, and then add to that the 'missing' techniques. Then the Junior would test for Adult Orange; etcetera, etcetera.

So, while every system is different, knowing where your next step is, is a question directed to your instructor.

Good Luck ... and welcome.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Stripe color varries system to system. Some examples for adults would be...

EPAK - Red Stripes for each dan rank and a long bar for 5th

Shaolin Kempo - Red stripes for each dan rank

NCK - Gold stripes for dan rank

And each system has their own way to show Jr. BB.

Some do the white stripe through the center of the belt, others give them a black belt w/o stripes.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That depends on your style, some systems do carry a red belt or sash as a final belt. Those questions are better addressed to your instructor however.

K

KenpoDusty

I asked this question long ago expecting a deep symbolic meaning behind the red stripes versus other colors. The answer I got was rather simple. Black stripes would not show up on a Black Belt, and most of the other colors were already used on previous belts, so Parker chose red.

Keep smiling
Dusty

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
depends where, but a red belt for ultra-high rank is rare in kenpo circles.

i remember hearing that some arts have a red belt for senior black belts who contribute greatly to the advancement of the art. i can't think of any examples, thought, and i could be talking directly out of my bum on this one.

in our organization, red belt denotes somebody who is not yet a black belt but who has permission to teach a class on his/her own. this is most often given to the wife of a school owner or to a particularly motivated and talented junior instructor.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:
depends where, but a red belt for ultra-high rank is rare in kenpo circles.

i remember hearing that some arts have a red belt for senior black belts who contribute greatly to the advancement of the art. i can't think of any examples, thought, and i could be talking directly out of my bum on this one.

in our organization, red belt denotes somebody who is not yet a black belt but who has permission to teach a class on his/her own. this is most often given to the wife of a school owner or to a particularly motivated and talented junior instructor.

In the art of Kudokan Judo, which is the art that first adopted kyu/dan rankings with belts, looked like this...

White Belt (6th Kyu to 4th Kyu)
Brown Belt (3rd Kyu to 1st Kyu)
Black Belt (1st Dan to 5th Dan(Master))

Sometime after 1920 they adopted the 6th through 10th dan ranks, to give systems a hierarchy for their independent organizations.

Red and White Block Belt (6th dan to 8th dan)
Red Belt (9th and 10th dan)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In our system the stripes stands for Junior grades students. We only do this for Brown belts and Black belts Juniors. ( white stripes on the middle of the belt.)

There is no standards here and every school/systems have there own way of ranking. .........kinda like military ranking of different nations.......Aloha

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We use a red stripe on any color belt to indicate a pregnant student.

For our dan ranks we are now using black stripes on black belts. Recognizes the rank without showing off :)

We used to use red stripes for BB degrees. The black stripe is new so you will still see pictures of some of our BBs wearing red stripes. None of them are women so not likely to be confused with pregnanacy stripe.

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
donald said:
What is Ken Ryu Kenpo?

I found this on the internet.

Ken-Ryu Kenpo-Karate is an eclectic martial arts self-defense system developed by Alan D'Allessandro from 1996-2000 through his years of training in a number of Kenpo styles, and with the guidance and certification of both Professor Nick Cerio and Shihan Don Rodrigues.

Alan D'Allessandro has taken some of the best elements and techniques of several martial arts disciplines, his own material, and material from the different Kenpo styles he has studied to develop this system.

Taken form the "Judo" discipline is the skill to take down or upset the balance of an attacker. The "Jujitsu" aspects are joint locks, armbars, pins, traps, as well as striking. Pure power vs. power and direct movement found in "Karate", and the multiple strike combinations and extensive footwork taken from "Kenpo" and "Kick-Boxing". Topping off this system is the fluid movements and animal techniques that are found in the "Kung Fu" discipline.

The format of this system is structured to progressively develop the students utilizing the proper balance of upper body vs. lower body usage, starting out with basic Karate and working in Kenpo,and incorporating material fom each discipline as the student progresses in rank.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
We use a red stripe on any color belt to indicate a pregnant student.

For our dan ranks we are now using black stripes on black belts. Recognizes the rank without showing off :)

We used to use red stripes for BB degrees. The black stripe is new so you will still see pictures of some of our BBs wearing red stripes. None of them are women so not likely to be confused with pregnanacy stripe.

Do you have a lot of pregnant students? Kinda of reminds me of quaterbacks wearing red shirts....

What style/art do you practice?

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
parkerkarate said:
I found this on the internet.

Ken-Ryu Kenpo-Karate is an eclectic martial arts self-defense system developed by Alan D'Allessandro from 1996-2000 through his years of training in a number of Kenpo styles, and with the guidance and certification of both Professor Nick Cerio and Shihan Don Rodrigues.

Alan D'Allessandro has taken some of the best elements and techniques of several martial arts disciplines, his own material, and material from the different Kenpo styles he has studied to develop this system.

Taken form the "Judo" discipline is the skill to take down or upset the balance of an attacker. The "Jujitsu" aspects are joint locks, armbars, pins, traps, as well as striking. Pure power vs. power and direct movement found in "Karate", and the multiple strike combinations and extensive footwork taken from "Kenpo" and "Kick-Boxing". Topping off this system is the fluid movements and animal techniques that are found in the "Kung Fu" discipline.

The format of this system is structured to progressively develop the students utilizing the proper balance of upper body vs. lower body usage, starting out with basic Karate and working in Kenpo,and incorporating material fom each discipline as the student progresses in rank.

So basically it is Cerio's Kenpo and EPAK mixed together? That would be interesting to see....What forms do they use? The epak short/long forms or cerio pinan/cat/animal forms?

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
fistlaw720 said:
So basically it is Cerio's Kenpo and EPAK mixed together? That would be interesting to see....What forms do they use? The epak short/long forms or cerio pinan/cat/animal forms?

This was all info. I could find that was worth wile to read. I can not find what they exactly teach.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
fistlaw720 said:
Do you have a lot of pregnant students? Kinda of reminds me of quaterbacks wearing red shirts....

What style/art do you practice?

I've only seen it twice in my 3.5 years of study, and it was the same woman both times :) But we have lately added a number of new women students, I bet we see at least one red-striper this year!

I do Shaolin Kempo... www.kempokarate.com

do you see a lot of pregnant quarterbacks????