Kempo Training Knives

S

Stick Dummy

GoodMorning,

I will grab the ball from "Kempo Knives" and roll, flop, fumble with it........:D

Mention has been made of Bob Burgees Edges-2 trainers which are AWESOME to work with.

My club uses a combination of these, some Sharkee synthetic knives, and Rattan short sticks from errr, ummm, broken escrima sticks.

Obviously, Eye protection for such activities should be mandatory, and following GoldenDragons leade - CPR & SFA are very handy ( ALL OUR FOLKS HAVE IT ) if a member has to make a trip to "Club ER" as we call it.

Question When you train/spar Kempo style is it based on accrued point system, vital areas scoring, or more of a one step sparring type deal?

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stick Dummy

Question When you train/spar Kempo style is it based on accrued point system, vital areas scoring, or more of a one step sparring type deal?

We just go at it until we're too knackered to carry on, formal scoring just seems like a waste of time, the workout isn't as good, there's no continuity and it leads to arguments!

Ian.

OP
S

Stick Dummy

Ian,

Thanks! Thats what I was wondering are continuity and fluidity were keys to this.....

Folks gotta face it a cut is a cut, and a stab a stab. No point in argueing just keep going and improve oneself and your training partner.

That comment regarding "points" was based on some styles that tend to be a bit sporting competitive if that adds clarification to the subject.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are training for a tournament..... then that's how you need to train.... if not....... then there are many other ways to train. IN the studio it is not necessary to stop and call points....... you usually know who scored unless you are practicing for exact ring command and control to show the students exactly how it will be.

I like to use the hour or two with a lot of action and not so much point calling. Each pair can acknowledge the points and continue
to work on not getting scored on and to score more!!

And try to stay out of Club ER!!

:asian: