Kempo Jujitsu/ Cross-training with Bujinkan Ninjutsu

Ryan_

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I am currently a 9th kyu student in Bujinkan Ninjutsu but I have also considered cross-training and was wondering if any of the members here have studied both and could tell me whether these styles compliment each others techniques?

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
What I say may start a war of words but here goes

Ninjutsu oh dear your being conned I'm afraid as it is not what you thin or are being taught it is ...yes Ninja did exist but there are no un broken lineage schools ...no matter what they claim they are not authentic and definitely not is in any way what you are being taught.

In answer to your question Train in an art that has lineage and is what it claims to be and can prove it (even modern systems ) don't waste your time with any so called Ninja school ...they are not real ...it may be fun but it not real ...what they are teaching is no secret art it is taken form other arts and if you do not believe me go look at the research and look at the scrolls and when the last one was actually written ...you might get a shock

OP
R

Ryan_

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, there are many frauds in martial arts and especially ninjutsu, but having done my research and actually attended classes - I am definitely satisfied with my training.

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok but you are being conned sir as what you are being taught is not what they are claiming ...they may be teaching you techniques etc but it is not ninjutsu lol...go look at the scrolls and in them I do not think that you will find any of your hand to hand stuff nor your sword stuff

What they are claiming is not what ninjutsu is ...

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Go and train with a good dojo that will teach you authentic tech ...There are many many on here that will teach you good sound skills that do have a lineage and can prove it ...what you are studying is not in any way what you think it is ...it is not Ko-ryu

OP
R

Ryan_

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok but you are being conned sir as what you are being taught is not what they are claiming ...they may be teaching you techniques etc but it is not ninjutsu lol...go look at the scrolls and in them I do not think that you will find any of your hand to hand stuff nor your sword stuff

What they are claiming is not what ninjutsu is ...

Of course it's not ninjutsu - that art died hundreds of years ago - that does not also mean i'm being conned. Bujinkan ninjutsu is specifically stated often as ninpo taijutsu or otherwise to avoid the confusion between them. The ancient "shadow warriors" were very good, and I doubt they left many traces...

Also for the lineage - it was very easy to trace my instructors back to the founder of the art (who happens to also have his lineage published online)

If anyone is able to help me and tell me if these two arts would compliment each other, that would be great.

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry you misunderstood me ...I am not knocking you or your teacher

Shinobi no mono are pretty well documented in fact and there is no taijutsu hence why I said what I did ....

Yes your founder is a very gifted man in many ways and he is a very good Martial artist of that there is no doubt and yes I have seen his lineage many times and yup when I lived in Japan but it still is not ninjutsu ...if you do not believe me then and why should you ...go and ask a native Japanese that is a martial artist and they will tell you

If you want a system then look at Daito-ryu or even Nihon Goshin Aikido they will serve you way better

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
As for the Sword ...staff etc then there are a wide variety of schools that will teach you that some Ko-ryu and some gendai budo seriously they will serve you better and longer and have a wealth of depth that no ninjutsu or whatever it is called has or will ever have

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ninjutsu oh dear your being conned I'm afraid as it is not what you thin or are being taught it is ...yes Ninja did exist but there are no un broken lineage schools ...no matter what they claim they are not authentic and definitely not is in any way what you are being taught.

In answer to your question Train in an art that has lineage and is what it claims to be and can prove it (even modern systems ) don't waste your time with any so called Ninja school ...they are not real ...it may be fun but it not real ...what they are teaching is no secret art it is taken form other arts and if you do not believe me go look at the research and look at the scrolls and when the last one was actually written ...you might get a shock
Lineage is only as important as we consider it to be. Many arts have myths, legends, exaggerations, misunderstandings, and even outright falsehoods in their lineage stories. None of that really has much effect upon the usefulness or suitability of the art.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

The op wasn't asking for your opinion on his style he was asking about cross training in another style

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry you misunderstood me ...I am not knocking you or your teacher

Shinobi no mono are pretty well documented in fact and there is no taijutsu hence why I said what I did ....

Yes your founder is a very gifted man in many ways and he is a very good Martial artist of that there is no doubt and yes I have seen his lineage many times and yup when I lived in Japan but it still is not ninjutsu ...if you do not believe me then and why should you ...go and ask a native Japanese that is a martial artist and they will tell you

If you want a system then look at Daito-ryu or even Nihon Goshin Aikido they will serve you way better
How does that one word - and its implied or stated lineage - change the suitability of the art?

Heck, NGA has some questionable provenance. As does Daito-ryu. It's entirely possible neither is precisely what their most recognized proponent/founder stated. That doesn't really change the techniques.

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
my apologies ... I stand corrected

I was not knocking anyone at all I was merely stating that there is no such thing as taijutsu contained within ninjustsu my mistake

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
my apologies ... I stand corrected

I was not knocking anyone at all I was merely stating that there is no such thing as taijutsu contained within ninjustsu my mistake
No you didn't you literally said he was being conned by taking ninjutsu

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok conned may be the wrong word

But there is no direct anything in Ninjutsu there are the manuals and there are the claims but none of the claims stand up and there is and there never ever was any taijutsu in Ninjutsu no where in any of the scrolls will you find that

sorry I just cringe when ninjutsu is stated as it is not what most seem to think it was ...and was is the word

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If anyone is able to help me and tell me if these two arts would compliment each other, that would be great.
I advise people to pick an art to start with, then get a good basis in that art. Once you have a basis in an art, then you can branch out and study different arts. The reason I say this is because at the beginning, each art is trying to mold you into the way they do things. The way they move, the way they respond the way they attack. This is not only teaching you the techniques, but the principles and strategies. They are laying your foundation, upon which you will build your art. It is very hard to lay two different foundations, at the same time. What you will most likely end up with is a random assortment of different techniques. Once you have a solid foundation, you can add to that foundation with new principles, new strategies... But, you will be adding to a solid foundation.

As to those particular arts... pick the one you like best to be your primary art. As far as I am concerned, they are both fine arts... which one will you train more regularly?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, I am currently a 9th kyu student in Bujinkan Ninjutsu but I have also considered cross-training and was wondering if any of the members here have studied both and could tell me whether these styles compliment each others techniques?
When you say that you're a 9th kyu, how long does that mean you've been training? I'm unfamiliar with the #of ranks or time in rank in bujinkan, and my response will depend on that

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you say that you're a 9th kyu, how long does that mean you've been training? I'm unfamiliar with the #of ranks or time in rank in bujinkan, and my response will depend on that
9th kyu is the first rank in the Bujinkan, and it usually doesn’t take long to be promoted. Most likely the OP has not been training more than a few months.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
9th kyu is the first rank in the Bujinkan, and it usually doesn’t take long to be promoted. Most likely the OP has not been training more than a few months.
In this case, my recommendation to @Ryan_ is that he stays just focused on Bujinkan for the moment, at least for the first year or so. From what I understand of Bujinkan, the styles are close enough in purpose, but different enough in action, that it may slow progress down at the start.

Regarding the stuff about you being conned, I wouldn't worry about that. Bujinkan is a legitimate system, from what I understand, and we have no way of knowing from just what you've told us if your teacher is legitimate, or being straight-forward or not with you. Just like you can't know just by knowing I train PTK if I'm being conned or not.

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Guys that word was the wrong choice of word and that is my fault ...

I am in no way saying that the teacher is not teaching properly or that there is any fault with the op

I was referring to the use of Ninjutsu that was my fault not to make that clearer. That was my mistake

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guys that word was the wrong choice of word and that is my fault ...

I am in no way saying that the teacher is not teaching properly or that there is any fault with the op

I was referring to the use of Ninjutsu that was my fault not to make that clearer. That was my mistake
I get what you're saying, and in general agree with it. People see the word ninjutsu and think it's something it's not (and I would not be surprised if that's done intentionally, or even marketed that way). I just wanted to make sure OP knew that the style itself could still be legitimate, even if the name of the overall style is misleading.

Latest Discussions