Keeping a wavemaster (or similar bag) outside

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The wave master base will be fine outside. It is you are it is a thermoplastic polymer so in time the sun will weaken it so keep it covered when not using it if possible. If in an area which freezes then sand rather than water for the base. Water will freeze and crack the base. The actual 'bag' or striking cylinder is vinyl covered over foam around a thermoplastic inner core that slide off the base. You can always remove it and store inside or keep it covered as will with a tarp of some type. If in a high humidity area mold will grow on it. I live in deep South Louisiana where it is hot and humidity in the 90s most of the year. I have a covered area outside with bags made of the same vinyl material for the past 8 years.
If you are a heavy kicker wave masters won't last...everyone I've had we've broken other than those used strictly by kids or beginners.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on what plastic the base is made from. Not sure on the worldwide regulations but anything sold here has to have the type indicated either in words, acronym or a number in the recycling symbol.

Once you know that, it's a very simple matter to find a perfectly compatible compound. Which honestly is likely to be any of them.

You buy antifreeze in plastic bottles and they don't split.

My 47 year old land rover has plastic and rubber parts in the cooling system, as well as iron, copper and aluminium and that's not been affected either.

Antifreeze is specifically formulated to not be reactive to these sort of components.

Far far more likely to cause any damage is UV exposure.
Great point.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can't just lay the base over and spill out the counter-balance material?
I’m going to try that, but I don’t think much will come out easily. It’s got a long shaft in the middle, so after that initial pour out, I’d probably have to pick it up or wiggle it around to get the stuff out. And it’s in my basement, so I’d have to pour it into a bucket or something. Either way, it’s going to be a pain in the a$$.

I just figured stick my shop vac hose in there and let it do all the work, minus emptying the shop vac several times.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are a heavy kicker wave masters won't last...everyone I've had we've broken other than those used strictly by kids or beginners.

I've never used a wavemaster long-term. My thinking behind getting one is the material they're made out of seem more weather-resistant than some others. How long does it take to break?

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, thinking I should be safe getting a standing bag, filling the base with sand, and transporting the top each day. Thanks for that everyone. Anyone have advice on a more durable brand then century/wavemaster?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How long does it take to break?

Depends how you use it. We've had several at my dojang, and only one has broken. I think it was knocked over and how it fell is why it broke. We don't use it as a power kicking tool, though.

As an analogy, we have 4 BOBs at our dojang and 1 BOB at my parents' house. They've been used weekly for 5 years and are still going strong. My uncle has used BOBs in his Krav Maga school and they last about a week, because they're pulling and ripping and tearing in ways you're not supposed to.

If you use it as designed it will last a long time.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unless you break the base, there's no way the foam or the skin should come in contact with the weight material.
If I am not mistaken the padding on a Wavemaster is foam. It is different from a traditional punching bag because the weight is not in the bag but instead the base. I have seen EPS shrivel up in the TN sun from the heat, not the sunlight.I imagine @Danny T can relate.