Kata method=misery!

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear God, I hurt!
My Sempai suggested a method for nailing down kata the other day in class, and I have been doing it the past few days...
Start at the ready position, perform your first move, return to the ready position, add the second move onto the first move and return to the ready position, then add the third move and return, then add the fourth move and return, and on, and on, and on...till you've got the whole kata...
It takes forever, and it beats on your stamina(physical and mental), but it's worth it, I think...Why is it that everytime I try something that my Sempai suggests, I end up beat down and sore? Maybe that's what being Sempai is all about...:eek:verkill:

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dear God, I hurt! My Sempai suggested a method for nailing down kata the other day in class, and I have been doing it the past few days...

Start at the ready position, perform your first move, return to the ready position, add the second move onto the first move and return to the ready position, then add the third move and return, then add the fourth move and return, and on, and on, and on...till you've got the whole kata...

It takes forever, and it beats on your stamina(physical and mental), but it's worth it, I think...Why is it that everytime I try something that my Sempai suggests, I end up beat down and sore? Maybe that's what being Sempai is all about...

Hey, Jason, that's brilliant! I wanna try that!

And here's a fun variation:

Start at the ready position, perform your first move, return to the ready position, add the second move onto the first move and return to the first move position, then return to the ready position, then add the third move and return to the second move position, then to the first move position, then return to ready, then add the fourth move and return to the third move position, and on, and on, and on and ON and on and on...till you've got the whole kata... or are lying dead in a heap...

I dunno... sounds like fun to me, anyway! Kind of like `The Twelve Days of Christmas', but in three dimensions, and it's not twelve but twenty five or more... :)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Progressive patterns - my favorite way to teach! Just make sure you don't forget the last few moves...

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why is it that everytime I try something that my Sempai suggests, I end up beat down and sore

Because he is training you well :)

That "beat down and sore" feeling is just weakness leaving your body, the sensation of reforming yourself into something superior to your former condition.

Rejoice! :)

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why is it that everytime I try something that my Sempai suggests, I end up beat down and sore?

Because your Sempai has been down the same road you are on and they are trying to get you to where they are at.

Experience of others makes for a higher increase in our own knowledge at an increased rate.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
zDom;680164That "beat down and sore" feeling is just weakness leaving your body.[/QUOTE said:
Isn't that a Marines saying? `Pain is weakness leaving the body'? I really like that idea!

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bah... Easy to say that line "pain is weakness leaving the body" when you're not the student! :)

Seriously, though, the method above can be a very useful teaching tool, for both the beginner and advanced student. People can benefit from the method in their own ways. For example, the person who has a hard time putting together sequences, will be able to learn the kata one definite step at a time. The more experienced person can use this opportunity to refine the techniques.

This method is especially good for the shorter kata (Tekki / Naihanchi Sho, Empi / Wanshu, etc). It would, however, be an interesting endurance test for the longer ones (Pichurin / Suparinpei, Goshushiho / Ueseishi, etc).

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
The more you break down the kata and work in sections, the easier it is to understand the movements. As for the pain. Enjoy it. There is a lot more to come. But the rewards are great for such a small sacrifice. I like the motto " That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger".:whip1:

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Since most Katas are a series of movements then if you can break down each series then it becomes easier to learn, whether that series is 4 movements or 6 or whatever.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bah... Easy to say that line "pain is weakness leaving the body" when you're not the student! :)

Hehehe but I AM a student still purging weakness with pain :)

(Exile: I think it may be something the Marines say, but not sure. I AM sure I like saying it. Makes all the pain seem worth it ;))

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hehehe but I AM a student still purging weakness with pain :)

(Exile: I think it may be something the Marines say, but not sure. I AM sure I like saying it. Makes all the pain seem worth it ;))

That was not big in my day.....it was more along the line of "Challenge your limits, don't limit your challenges." Also another big one was....If it isn't hard then it isn't worth it.

The big reason why the Marines don't like the "Pain is weakness leaving the body" is because being shot is painful, oh well I am done rambling.

Physical training = hard-> therefore worth it, etc. You guys know what I mean.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The big reason why the Marines don't like the "Pain is weakness leaving the body" is because being shot is painful, oh well I am done rambling.

Hi Matt---I like the ideas behind those other sayings also. The reason I asked about that one in particular is because I saw a guy somewhere wearing a Marines T-shirt which had that slogan on it. It struck me that that that was kind of an interesting way to think about pain, and it does make a lot of sense in, say, the context of a heavy iron workout... I guess the idea was that the pain they're talking about is pain that you voluntarily take on.

But I've always had the same feeling that things that are easy aren't worth doing (or more specifically, things that come easily to me don't hold my interest, because the're no challenge to them). I'm much more attracted to activities and domains of knoweldge that are difficult for me to `get' at first sight...

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is one of my favorite sayings>
" the dojo is the place where courage is fostered and superior human nature is bred through the ecstacy of sweating in hard work.
It is the sacred place where the human spirit is polished"
Nagamine Shoshin O sensei
Hanshi founder Matsubayashi
Shorin ryu karatedo

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I call that type of training "Pyramid" training - where you start with 1 of something, then progress up to a given # of repetitions. Then you continue by coming back down to 1. :)

Another thing that really helped me learn my forms was to start at the last move and work my way backwards. It opens up tremendous amounts of possibly unrealized/unrevealed knowledge upon examination.

OP
JasonASmith

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
I call that type of training "Pyramid" training - where you start with 1 of something, then progress up to a given # of repetitions. Then you continue by coming back down to 1. :)

Another thing that really helped me learn my forms was to start at the last move and work my way backwards. It opens up tremendous amounts of possibly unrealized/unrevealed knowledge upon examination.
Yessir, I've tried that myself...
I enjoy doing regular training(kihon and kata) in different ways, it makes that endless repetition a little more interesting...
The only problem that I had when I did the backwards thing was that it took me forever! That was one of those 3-4 hour practice sessions...

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is one of my favorite sayings>
" the dojo is the place where courage is fostered and superior human nature is bred through the ecstacy of sweating in hard work.
It is the sacred place where the human spirit is polished"
Nagamine Shoshin O sensei
Hanshi founder Matsubayashi
Shorin ryu karatedo

I like that phrase, "the ecstacy of sweating in hard work" :)

(I could do without the constant bold font, however...) ;)

shotokan-kez

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This sounds great :uhyeah: I will defo give that a go. We do something similar when learning a new kata, only we do a few moves then back to the start, then do the same few moves again then back to the start. We do that a few times then add on another bit, and so on! It is tireing but well worth it!

mijemi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We did something similar the other week but in between moves we got down on the ground for pushups. It certainly is easy to get into the flow of a kata but keeping your focus when it's all broken up is a lot harder. I found it really hard to remember where I was up to.:confused:

Latest Discussions