Kata Critique

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imagine a Jodan uke with your arm pretty much straight up. I’m not a wado guy but that didn’t look right for any situation. The fact he said it was supposed to be a Jodan uke tipped me off but I figured it should have tipped him off too.

A sort of upper cut to use on giants! :D

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of bizarre things in the name of martial arts but it simply amazes me to think how these folks came up with the idea that what they were doing was proper technique.

The same folks couldn’t find the pressure point on my forearm so figured that I didn’t have one ? Yup, I’m just special like that.......

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of bizarre things in the name of martial arts but it simply amazes me to think how these folks came up with the idea that what they were doing was proper technique.

The same folks couldn’t find the pressure point on my forearm so figured that I didn’t have one ? Yup, I’m just special like that.......

Ah but you have a pressure point I don't, on the sole of the foot! How's that you ask , well, I wear high heel shoes which deadens the pressure point until it really doesn't work, well it does over the amount of years I've been wearing heels. :D

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pinan Shodan

Pinan Nidan
Ah cool, thanks for posting Tez, love seeing kata performed in different styles. And I forgot the Pinan Shodan and Nidan were switched around in some styles (I actually think the vids you posted are the original order, I learned them the other way around). Can't remember what caused the switched, I think it was because Pinan Nidan was seen as less difficult, so some styles made it Pinan Shodan.
Ah but you have a pressure point I don't, on the sole of the foot! How's that you ask , well, I wear high heel shoes which deadens the pressure point until it really doesn't work, well it does over the amount of years I've been wearing heels. :D
Now THAT is a self defense technique rarely talked about! Eliminate your target altogether by simple removing it from your system! :D

Latest Discussions