karate not good enough?

D

Deathtrap101

I went to a muay tai board and asked about how karate and muay tai differd and most of what i got was that i shouldn't spend ten years learning how to fight and go to muay tai and learn in 3 months. I dont blame them for defending there system but i was wondering what everyone here on karate thought about muay tai and karate? If anyone has any opinions on how muay tai is better than karate and how karate is beter than muay tai??

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The basic question is, Given that Muay Thai fighters regularly win against e.g. kung fu fighters when they spar with them, what's the motivation for studying something else? I think there are good many answers: Multiple attackers, attacks with weapons, surprise attacks, something that can be practiced throughout one's life and not just when young, something that stengthens the body without damaging it (one may have to be careful with karate in this regard too, but there's no deadening of the shin for example), the belief that e.g. Sanchin training strengthens and improves the health of one's body, the greater range of options (locks, pressure point techniques, and so on, not just strikes), and just plain interest in the system--as well as the "fit" of the system to the student. Many karate techniques are grappling techniques intended for use against a close-in opponent, not for a toe-to-toe situation.

Muay Thai is an exceptionally effective system and a Muay Thai fighter is extremely well-conditioned. Is that what you want to train for, though, or would you rather train for your likely opponent--two armed muggers who surprise you at night, say? It's not clear to me that Muay Thai is especially suited to that situation.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another point to consider:

Sport vs street vs combat vs NHB

Each area has its pros and cons.

OP
D

Deathtrap101

YEa that was basicly my question(Why study something els if muay thai beats kung fu or karate regularaly?). I do my best to stay conditioned, i know that im no way near the condition of the average muay thai fighter but im working on that. I train under karate, im looking for the skill i geuss not necisarilly the style that i could be able to defend myself on the street and in the ring. I geuss all i can do is try differant things, condition myself more and keep in mind its not necisarily the style but hte individual and level of skill.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by arnisador

I think there are good many answers: Multiple attackers, attacks with weapons, surprise attacks, something that can be practiced throughout one's life and not just when young, something that stengthens the body without damaging it (one may have to be careful with karate in this regard too, but there's no deadening of the shin for example),

In regards to Karate..............ummmm not really unless you are practicing one of the arts that practice body hardening or one of the Japanese systems.
This is a common misconception by most non-karateka and even some karateka.
Japanese styles tend to practice very differently than older Okinawan styles (not including new styles like Goju and Uechi).
Older Okinawan styles tend be very fluid and natural in motion as opposed to the mainland Japanese derivatives that when they practice are stiff and "wooden" in appearance.
Makiwara training, if done improperly, will cause damage to the hands that may be irreparable. Traning to get big knuckles was never the idea behind makiwara training and shouldn't be. One should never hit the makiwara to the point of extreme pain. The makiwara is used to strengthen the wrist and shoulders.

........... the belief that e.g. Sanchin training strengthens and improves the health of one's body,

That fact that most "hard-core" Sanchin people don't live to be very old should tell everyone something.
Plus the fact that most Sanchin practitioners have a high stroke rate and illness' associated with high blood pressure is also a little alarming.

Another point to consider is that Karate is not made to slug it out toe to toe with someone.
It is made to repel an attack as quickly and painfully as possible from a larger, stronger opponent by what ever means necessary.

OP
D

Deathtrap101

Another point to consider is that Karate is not made to slug it out toe to toe with someone.
It is made to repel an attack as quickly and painfully as possible from a larger, stronger opponent by what ever means necessary.

Thanks RyuShiKan i never really thought about it.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Muay Thai is a great art and when I go to Thailand I like to go and watch the matches. But even Muay Thai people will tell you that you can't do it for your whole life.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan

That fact that most "hard-core" Sanchin people don't live to be very old should tell everyone something.
Plus the fact that most Sanchin practitioners have a high stroke rate and illness' associated with high blood pressure is also a little alarming.

Is there scientific evidence to this effect--a study? I find it a bit hard to believe that it has a long term hypertensive effect--stroke during the exertion I don't find hard to believe. I do remember getting the advice to switch to Tensho as one ages.

I was indeed thinking of Japanese karate when I said that some karate practices may be injurious (I much prefer Okinawan karate). In addition to what you mentioned, some people still straighten the arm/leg 100%, damaging the joint in the long run; and some Japanese arts do high kicks, which in the long run can damage the hip joint (as Bill Wallace and Nasty Dan Anderson have learned).

You stated "unless you are practicing [...] one of the Japanese systems"; as the question was about karate and as, to the best of my knowledge, there are more practitioners of Japanese karate world-wide than Okinawan karate (Shotokan is still the world's most popular style of karate I believe), it would seem odd to exclude Japanese karate in the answer. As I say I too prefer Okinawan systems of karate to Japanese but that doesn't change the fact that if this person is studying karate then it's more likely he's studying a Japanese style than an Okinawan one.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Is there scientific evidence to this effect--a study? I find it a bit hard to believe that it has a long term hypertensive effect--stroke during the exertion I don't find hard to believe. I do remember getting the advice to switch to Tensho as one ages.

There are several elderly ex-Sanchin karateka in Okinawa that all have similar hypertensive illness' to which they blame the long term practice of Sanchin.
If you also look at the life span and cause of death for many of the karateka that practiced Sanchin for a long time you will notice a pattern that they die relativly young and often die of some sort of illness connected with strokes or hypertensive illness.
If I recall even Miyagi Chojun had a stroke.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

If you also look at the life span and cause of death for many of the karateka that practiced Sanchin for a long time you will notice a pattern that they die relativly young and often die of some sort of illness connected with strokes or hypertensive illness.

But this is true of, what, a third or more of the general population--that they'll die of a cardiovascular problem? I think the statement you made above would be true of an arbitrary collection of people.

You may well be correct--I'm asking for more detail because it's very much of interest to me if you are.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Interesting article.

While I was in China studying TCM I was doing an internship at an acupuncture clinic.
The head of the clinic was interested in martial arts training methods, especially Tai Chi he even went so far as to write a book about it. He was rather well know in the Chinese MA community so he would get many people with MA related injuries.

While I was studying in the clinic many martial arts people from various types of arts would come for treatments. these would range from simple sprains to severe injuries.
Some of the best "customers" were the older martial arts people that had done body hardening exercises on their hands, arms and shins. Their joints were extremely arthritic and disfigured.
The other group that were good "customers" were the old folks that had done Sanchin type training.
Having seen first hand the effects body hardening and Sanchin training have with age I can't recommend anyone taking them up.

OP
G

GojuBujin

The man makes the art no the art makes the man.

When you face your opponent it is not your style that faces your opponent it is you and your essence.

Whether you win or loose depends greatly on how much you have devoted yourself to your chosen art.

The Kungfu can beat the Karate ka the Karate Ka can beat the Kung Fu guy, the Muay Thai can beat the Karate ka, the karate ka can beat the muay thai guy and so forth...

Michael
http://www.inigmasoft.com/goyukai

OP
R

RyuShiKan

But this is true of, what, a third or more of the general population--that they'll die of a cardiovascular problem? I think the statement you made above would be true of an arbitrary collection of people.

You may well be correct--I'm asking for more detail because it's very much of interest to me if you are.

There is an interesting article I read on the study health issues specific to Okinawan. (can't seem to find it......must be getting senile)
Some, actually most, of the problems that your average westerner has are less common among Okinawan people.
For example in women breast cancer is very rare and in men prostate cancer is so rare they don't even bother to test for it.
If you have ever heard that Japan has one of the highest longevity rates in the world these figures are due in large part to the fact that Okinawans tend to live very long and this boosts the national average up.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by GojuBujin

The man makes the art no the art makes the man.

When you face your opponent it is not your style that faces your opponent it is you and your essence.

Whether you win or loose depends greatly on how much you have devoted yourself to your chosen art.

The Kungfu can beat the Karate ka the Karate Ka can beat the Kung Fu guy, the Muay Thai can beat the Karate ka, the karate ka can beat the muay thai guy and so forth...

A good book to read and re-read over and over is Sun Tzu's Art of War.

It talks about all this kind of stuff.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

A good book to read and re-read over and over is Sun Tzu's Art of War.

I'm embarrassed to say that I have three translations on my shelf because I know of its importance but I've never read any of them.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Too bad. It's a great book. In fact I would rate it higher than Musashi's Book of 5 Rings.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have two translations, one is much better than the other (I will post the title and translator later, as I am screwing off at work right now and don't have the book handy...).

The gooder :)D) version is marked up heavily with notes and comments by yours truly... Highly useful stuff, both on unit and individual levels (whereas the Book of Five Rings is more applicable to single combat in my opinion).

Gambarimasu!

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Art of War is very good indeed, though appreciation IS very dependant on translation. If find it very macroscopic, however. I found alot more personal resonance in Musashi's Five Rings, i think because of the constant dual micro/macroscopic focus.

Arnisador, i am shocked...a man of such obvious and extnesive knowledge not having read the classics? Its like a NYT book reviewer not having read "Green Eggs & Ham".:p

Cheers

Baoquan.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Baoquan

Arnisador, i am shocked...a man of such obvious and extnesive knowledge not having read the classics?

Like I said, I'm embarrassed! Hey, I own three copies of it--doesn't that count for anything? :D

Latest Discussions