Karate Nerd meets Wonderboy

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s really fun to watch two down-to-earth humble guys who really love their martial arts. I also see some relevance to recent discussions we’ve had regarding big schools vs instructional quality, TMA vs MMA, and the value of kata.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm enjoying this very much. I'm not an MMA fan, so I am not familiar with Wonderboy. I'm about halfway through the video. I like what he said about makiwara, and kata. I agree about getting offline, most karateka are linear fighters because that's often how we train. I like the Philly Shell he's using as a blocking tool, straight from boxing and very good. I'm diving back in, thanks for posting this.

Edit: finished watching. Very enjoyable.

Last edited:
OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not an MMA fan, so I am not familiar with Wonderboy.
I think it was drop bear who first cued me in to check out Wonderboy back near the start of his MMA career. He's a top-notch technical fighter, fun to watch, and by all accounts one of the nicest guys in the business.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He's got some pretty good technical videos as well. A perfect one to show how he can go into technique is his own spinning back-kick. He explains clearly why he chooses the method he does, and describes some pitfalls people often fall into.

Latest Discussions