Karate Grappling! - Pinan Nidan Bunkai #4 - Defense against the shoot

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is my latest bunkai video. Should be interesting to see any commentary...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's an interesting application, out of the box for sure, but once you take the kata and lay it horizontal it makes more sense, of course, performing the application standing is quicker and more dangerous, because the half nelson becomes a neck crank.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think your demo partner needs to commit to that shoot more. He seems hesitant and it looks to me that he's thinking he has no chance to get in and actually take you down. I don't mean to be nit-picking, that's just what I get the impression of.

To me, when dealing with a sprawl against a shoot, the "sprawler" needs to get his legs back and wide, real quick.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think your demo partner needs to commit to that shoot more. He seems hesitant and it looks to me that he's thinking he has no chance to get in and actually take you down. I don't mean to be nit-picking, that's just what I get the impression of.

To me, when dealing with a sprawl against a shoot, the "sprawler" needs to get his legs back and wide, real quick.

I had the same advice for him after we shot the video. Some students are like that. They need to be encouraged to be more aggressive.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The one thing that stands out is that the partner isn't executing a very good shot. One of the most important elements of a shot is the elevation change. You shouldn't bend over and dive into the shot. Rather, you change elevations in your legs, keeping your head up. A properly done single or double would make the opening hammer fist to the back of the head difficult, if not impossible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The one thing that stands out is that the partner isn't executing a very good shot. One of the most important elements of a shot is the elevation change. You shouldn't bend over and dive into the shot. Rather, you change elevations in your legs, keeping your head up. A properly done single or double would make the opening hammer fist to the back of the head difficult, if not impossible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had a NAGA champion come in and show us how to do it properly about a year ago and we had it down, but we still have a long way to go to make it look really good. I think this application works if someone does it wrong...most people are probably not going to have a perfect shot.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The early that you can redirect your opponent's forward moving vector, the less chance that he may get your leg/legs. The shoulder contact points are a bit too far. The neck or the back of the head will be closer. If you want to use reverse head lock (guillotine) to twist your opponent's body, the head by itself may not be enough. If your right hand can go under your opponent's left shoulder and then lock on your own left hand, you can generate more twisting power.

Latest Discussions