Karate fight plans

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So Kyokushin karateka allow themselves to be struck so that they can set up a harder strike? Interesting o_0
I'm sure opinions on this subject conflict. Kajukenbo guys will beat on eachother before competition to get the blood flowing, but they don't exactly plan to walk into punches on the street. I assume they kyokushin guys are more defensive fighters in that they counter attacks rather than relying on being first.
Sean

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Would you say that the only purpose of Sanchin is to build bodily resistance? If so I would have to disagree. Based on my experience of kata it was designed for the sole purpose of hiding the execution of deathly attacks to the opponent. All kata was designed for this purpose and this purpose alone. As far as I am led to believe there is no other reason for kata to exist. All karate can be found in kata.

Not sure how you came to the conclusion that I said that was the sole purpose for sanchin kata. Obviously there are other reasons to train it: physical exercise, mental & spiritual testing, a few bunkai applications, tradition, etc.

Hyper_Shadow

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, mate, my misinterpretation, do apologise. I have a tendancy to let my fingers start typing before my brain engages sometimes.

The point I was trying to make is that even though people may train kata with various goals in mind (spiritual growth, exercise, practicing basics etc.), the fact remains that kata was intended for hiding techniques which would in turn criplle, kill or otherwise incapacitate an opponent.

My apologies again for general ignorance.

Martin h

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure opinions on this subject conflict. Kajukenbo guys will beat on eachother before competition to get the blood flowing, but they don't exactly plan to walk into punches on the street. I assume they kyokushin guys are more defensive fighters in that they counter attacks rather than relying on being first.
Sean

Actually, kyokushin tend to be very aggressive.
In defense there is a lot of angling the body to cause glancing blows with reduced impact, and lightly tapping attack off aim to "less sensitive targets". Defensive footwork tend to be primarily used at longer and middle ranges. Once in close it tends to get down to pure slugging it out with rapid power punch combinations and knees to see who folds first. Kyokushin require a lot of conditioning to blows.
Kyokushin guys seldom moves straight backwards. If the step back they do it at an angle.
Some offshots like Ashihara and enshin preaches more circular footwork even for closer ranges, but in competition there is little difference. They also allows more grabbing and throwing, which is not allowed in kyokushin competitions -which makes circular movement at close ranges easier and more effective.

Offensively, you aim for week points (solar plexus, floating ribs, the liver and so on). You lowkick the opponents legs to slow him down (and maybe even lowkick KO him) and his shoulders/biceps to slow down his arms, and slowly draw his guard down to cover his body by inflicting pain to chest and ribs, then knock him out with a quick highkick or knee once he no longer guards his head effectively.

It is basically a pure competition tactic adapted to the rules, and not a good idea in selfdefense, when slowly wearing the opponent down is not smart

Latest Discussions