Karate an Olympic Sport

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not a fan, but then I am hardly a WKF/USANKF type and I don't keep up with the finer details of such things. For those people who do, congrats I guess.

I wonder how long until we actually do see karate in the Olympics? And is this kumite or kata or both?

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
So is this what we should expect to see?

[yt]DB57bw0m47E[/yt]

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
<shrugs> Perhaps so. Not exactly a great exhibition, is it? There are probably 'better' videos out there if we bother to look for them, but I don't plan to. As I said, I'm not a fan of the genre.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lol. Not a chance. Having the USOC's support is a long way from being recognized by the GASIF and the IOC. The WKF has a good competition structure but not enough participating countries/ competitors per country. The sport is not as recognized. It has come up before the GASIF and the IOC before but had little support and did not get past initial proposals.
Honestly speaking, MMA has a better chance of making the Olympics.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Many other sports, including wrestling, are bidding for a spot in 2020. Again, the competition structure is there but not the support or fan base. Then again badmitton is a sport so....

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
WKF Karate is an IOC recognized sport! It is in the Pan Am Games! And was in the final 3 for inclusion in the OLYMPICS in 2012and the final 8 for inclusion in 2020 Didn't make it next chance 2024!

As far as the sport my son is a world ranked JR in this style!!!!! And was on the JR National Team which fought at the JR Pan Ams in Mexico 2012... He is on the USAT JR National Team and both styles are challenging!!!!

He uses his karate in TKD TO GREAT SUCCESS! And his TKD in Karate to great success!

USA Karate has full NGB Status!!!!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting. That's a lot more subtle than I was expecting.

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The feints are part of the game/strategy!!!!

I understand that but if you doing that much feinting you might as well throw something your opponent to bite on. Throw a feint and a real technique to keep your opponent guessing.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I understand that but if you doing that much feinting you might as well throw something your opponent to bite on. Throw a feint and a real technique to keep your opponent guessing.

Have you done a lot of research on this style of competition?? Are you a Karateka????

If you have not done the research or been envolved!!!! Your opinion is nothing more than a uninformed casual opinion!!!! That is fine!!!!

Any strategy that starts with "you might as well" is probably not a good strategy....what you are suggesting would get you swept or countered!!!! Karate is a chess match one wrong move and you end up on your back!!! Or punched in the face or body!!!! It is extremely fast and explosive!!!!

A Utube vid doesn't alway do a fight justice!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The elite Karateka is try to bait you into throwing "the you might as well technique"!

Watch the Christope Pinna fights on YouTube as I suggested do a little more research!!!!

Also Rafael Agayev!!!! Or George Kotaka!!!! Tom Scott!!! Cheryl Murphy!!!!!Are great fightes to watch!!!!

Latest Discussions