Kamatuuran Kalijin Video: Fan defense

guramicmac

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One of the Kamatuuran Kalijin women using fan to defend against one and two stick attackers:

Singkil dance just isn't the same anymore.

-Gura Michelle

Last edited by a moderator:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tend to agree there seemed to be way to much turning of the back to the opponent. other than that i enjoyed watching the clip

OP
G

guramicmac

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Turning our back on the opponent is one of the more common comments we get.

There is a purpose to the spinning and there is a specific location and timing to when we turn or spin. It's not an easy skill to learn as it does go against people's comfort zone. When people do sweeps and spin kicks they turn their backs on their opponent and when they do it, they have to time it properly.

I can understand how some styles might never want to turn their back and particularly if the style is involved in sport fighting, much of the equipment does limit peripheral vision.

In this school and style, students must be able to "see" their opponent not only with their eyes but also through touch, both with the empty hand and with the weapon. Also we don't have to "see" our opponents in full focus to know where they are and what they are doing, so we use our peripheral vision a great deal as well.

Frankly, I wouldn't turn my back on an opponent if I didn't know where they were. On that I think we can all agree. However, we just happen to practice ways of knowing where our opponent is in a different way.

Regards, Gura

ManogSulSog

White Belt
Reaction score
WOW very nice dance steps hehehehe ^^ . "Kamatuuran" means the real truth in are dialect , kalijin hmm dont know the word kali means to "dig" and jin maybe gin for liquor. hehehehe Fan defense if the stick use its real force i think the fan can not sustain the power is very difficult to parry a strike with that weapon fan use to cool your self. i think to much watching kung fu movies. ^^ in reallty it's not effective for fighting but good for cultural dance or pesentation.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always thought of the fan as a Chinese or Japanese wepaon, not Filipino! It was neat to see this.

raymaguada

White Belt
Reaction score
Greetings from Negros Occidental, Philippines
I am an Ilonggo. In our dialect Kamatuuran means "truth". Kalijin , this term we don't have it in our dialect. I respect all styles. Each has their own way of defense.
I would lke to ask if the maestro/guro is an Ilonggo? Kun makaintiendi ka sang hambal ko ti Ilonggo gid ka eh, he he. (IF YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M WRITING THEN YOU'RE AN ILONGGO)
I have a blog about some indigenous martial arts in our region, western visayas, region 6 of the Philippines.
Just visit westernvisayasmartialarts.blogspot.com
Madamu gid nga salamat( THANK YOU VERY MUCH)
GOD BLESS

dirtyhands

White Belt
Reaction score
Raymaguada and Manugsulsog,
great comment re: fan defense.
Thank you for clarifying words that seems to be used out of the true meaning of a particular "tinaga" (Word).
Too much kungfu movies, that is right.
If the one throwing the arnis strikes is committed the fan could never withstand a single strike. Singkil is a cultural dance.
we never use guro or gura to address our maestro(teacher).
Diin nyo na nakuha man? (Where did you get that term?)
Raymaguada, great site. I have one that is in Ilonggo dialect Tumandok.blogspot.com

dirtyhands

OP
G

guramicmac

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The fan in use is a Kung Fu fan with thick metal ribs. It's actually quite heavy and solid when folded up, probably more equivalent to a short heavy stick. Our style has never been about taking the force head on, but more to redirect and guide.

Regards,
Gura

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please forgive this question as it comes from a place of complete ignorance on the issue.

Whilst I can see the grace and some of the intent of the actions with the fan, would they really be effective against an attack that came in with committment?

I'd love it to be the case that something so graceful and elegant could be effective against a more 'forceful' weapon but my eyes don't see it from simply watching the clip i.e. informed opinion would help greatly increase my understanding as to how something inherently 'flimsy' can deflect strikes and deliver them.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings from Negros Occidental, Philippines
I am an Ilonggo. In our dialect Kamatuuran means "truth". Kalijin , this term we don't have it in our dialect. I respect all styles. Each has their own way of defense.
I would lke to ask if the maestro/guro is an Ilonggo? Kun makaintiendi ka sang hambal ko ti Ilonggo gid ka eh, he he. (IF YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M WRITING THEN YOU'RE AN ILONGGO)
I have a blog about some indigenous martial arts in our region, western visayas, region 6 of the Philippines.
Just visit westernvisayasmartialarts.blogspot.com
Madamu gid nga salamat( THANK YOU VERY MUCH)
GOD BLESS

Welcome to MartialTalk and thanks for posting!

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Raymaguada and Manugsulsog,
great comment re: fan defense.
Thank you for clarifying words that seems to be used out of the true meaning of a particular "tinaga" (Word).
Too much kungfu movies, that is right.
If the one throwing the arnis strikes is committed the fan could never withstand a single strike. Singkil is a cultural dance.
we never use guro or gura to address our maestro(teacher).
Diin nyo na nakuha man? (Where did you get that term?)
Raymaguada, great site. I have one that is in Ilonggo dialect Tumandok.blogspot.com

dirtyhands
Hi,

Welcome to MT!

Thanks for posting! From what I recall, the late GM Remy Presas spoke the Ilonggo dialect as well.

Best regards,

Palusut

Latest Discussions