"Just Yell Fire" Free Women's Self-Defense Movie

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.justyellfire.com/

Everyone, that is an important link we should all hit and use as a resource.
That link goes to a free download for a movie showing girls defending themself and is a "mini-movie."
Here is a bit telling about it:

In what some describe as The Coolest High School Project Ever, two of Portland's St. Mary's Academy high school girls expect to put predators and date rapists out of business nationwide when their new film Just Yell Fire releases on September 28th. Just Yell Fire will be free to any teen girl either as a DVD or download from the website.
Dallas Jessup (14) and Catherine Wehage (15) saw the actual abduction of a teenage girl caught on a surveillance video camera on the television news. The abducted girl was soon found dead; her killer had a history of violence. Over the next weeks in two separate incidents there were attempted abductions of teen girls in Portland. They did some research on crime statistics and found that 1 in 4 girls presently in middle school or high school will be date-raped before they graduate college. The news is filled with brutal things happening to teenage girls. They knew that none of this had to happen and set out to find a solution.
The girls wrote the Just Yell Fire script as a high school project, leveraging Jessup's black belt martial arts experience and both girls' Filipino Street Fighting study to show teen girls how to get out of brutal date rape and predator situations. They worked with their street fighting coach, Chad Von Dette, to develop a quick-to-learn strategy a teenage girl could use to get away from an attacker twice her size and vastly stronger.
The team came up with ten strategies. Biting in key areas, eye gouges, ear slaps, groin slaps and a few other maneuvers that when used together would make a much stronger attacker let go long enough for a teen to run away - every time. And they are not "techniques" that can easily be forgotten, Kids already know how to bite and to poke someone in the eye. They just don't think of it or are afraid they will get into trouble. The rest is just as easy. It's amazing how quickly a 250-pound attacker will let go when his ear gets whip slapped by the cupped hand of an angry, empowered 12 year old!
The pair found financial backing from the Portland and nearby Vancouver communities and a novel video idea became a film in progress when the girls attracted award winning director Takafumi Uehara who volunteered his services, cameraman Ed Henry, also a volunteer along with 30 cast/crew and 100 extras, all volunteers seeing the importance of the project.
Website developers, a national communications company, public relations pros, script consultants, producers and others soon joined on to make Just Yell Fire a national success.
The 45 minute film includes cameos by the hit television show Lost stars Josh Holloway and Evangeline Lilly, several seemingly real life abduction scenes, a Dating Bill of Rights, a Q&A in talk show format. and a date rape party scene. Each scene is followed by instruction on maneuvers appropriate to escape from each situation. Vancouver Police Chief Brian Martinek makes an appearance to share his counsel on proactive prevention, as do two top martial artists.
The distribution strategy is to make the film available for free downloading and to distribute DVD copies as resources permit while encouraging everyone to copy these DVDs and distribute them to teenage girls everywhere, all at no cost. To get the word out the girls will be working with schools and police departments across the country, creating online Buzz with help from volunteer online marketing pros, and through traditional publicity efforts.

OP
ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
BTW, the site encourages downloading it and distributing it. Those of you who cover women's self-defense could use this as a teaching tool.

AoG

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.....

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting... I'll have to look when I can watch the whole thing. Thanks for posting this!

OP
ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was searching the site and you can also print up dvd covers to put on the dvd's when you copy it to disc and hand it out.
This is great timing for me. I am hosting a women's self-defense class next month and if I wanted, I could just use the material covered in that movie and be good to go.
I am not going to do that though. I have a set curriculum that I made up last week that I will be using, although I will use some of the facts on the site and in the article from this month's TKD Times magazine. Also, I may hand out that movie at the end of the seminar and recommend the website.

AoG

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a good video for most people to watch regardless of age or gender.

I personally prefer a live instructor over video instruction, but the concept and scenario will hopefully bring awareness to more people.

Thank you for finding this gem.

Peace.

Latest Discussions