Just slipped on some black ice and ....

gkygrl

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was taking out some recycling to put at the end of our driveway and hit some black ice. My feet flew right out from under me. The good thing is ... I did a nice breakfall and was able to pop back up on my feet pretty quickly. that driveway was HARD!

I was really surprised with that! Seemed like a natural thing and I was glad to have that sense still ingrained in me from my past training when I was in the Army.

I did take some Ibuprofen though because that driveway was pretty hard and I expect I might be a little sore.

Could have been WAY worse.

:wink2:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was taking out some recycling to put at the end of our driveway and hit some black ice. My feet flew right out from under me. The good thing is ... I did a nice breakfall and was able to pop back up on my feet pretty quickly. that driveway was HARD!

I was really surprised with that! Seemed like a natural thing and I was glad to have that sense still ingrained in me from my past training when I was in the Army.

I did take some Ibuprofen though because that driveway was pretty hard and I expect I might be a little sore.

Yep...I slipped once getting out of my cruiser and insted of falling I tried to catch myself..I messed up my back..Cost me a trip to the acupuncturists and a 1/2 days pay....Next time I'll just go down and fall the way I know how too...

OP
gkygrl

gkygrl

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yep...I slipped once getting out of my cruiser and insted of falling I tried to catch myself..I messed up my back..Cost me a trip to the acupuncturists and a 1/2 days pay....Next time I'll just go down and fall the way I know how too...

Ouch Drac!!!! Yeah, truly. A few bruises or being a little sore is better than twisting your back. I played ice hockey too a few years ago and learned how to do some of that breakfalling there too.

Go with what you know :)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ouch Drac!!!! Yeah, truly. A few bruises or being a little sore is better than twisting your back. I played ice hockey too a few years ago and learned how to do some of that breakfalling there too.

Go with what you know :)

What really hurt was all the equipment one my belt digging into my sides..

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

This has happened to me a few times and fortunately I wasn't injured, other than being sore for a day or two.

Glad to hear you're ok. :)

Mike

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The problem is the ingrained, instinctive reaction to grab hold of something. It's what a brachiating primate would do in case of a fall from a tree... ya got no choice!

It takes a huge amount of conditioning to overcome that kind of wired-in reaction. What's really astonishing is that people do learn to do it, over time, with enough reinforcement. The grab-instinct must be embedded really, really deep in our brains...

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's happened to me more than once as well. Every time but one I got away with only minor bruises. But one time while getting into my car I slipped and my leg shot under the car. Tore my shin open a bit and hurt like hell.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Glad to hear your ok

I slipped on Black Ice a few years back, but I was in a Jeep on the NYS thruway. Cost me a fender repair and a tire. But as I sat off the road in about a foot of snow waiting for a tow truck I realized HEY this is a Jeep so I put it in reverse and back out of the snow onto the side of the thruway. What surprised me was that the front drives side tire was taken half off the rim and it still pulled me out "only in a Jeep"

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad that your "black ice" incident produced no permanent damage!

You'd better get some "white ice" on the sore spots first, though. :)

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad that you're ok.

I did the same thing years ago, came out of my garage and stepped onto the driveway and then saw my feet above my head. Did a great backfall and laughed and cursed as I slid down the driveway on my back. I suffered nothing but embarrasement, thanks to years of ukemi.

OP
gkygrl

gkygrl

Green Belt
Reaction score
Glad that your "black ice" incident produced no permanent damage!

You'd better get some "white ice" on the sore spots first, though. :)

LOL -- yeah, not a bad idea. I decided to take some ibuprofen and do some stretches. But now I am starting to hurt a little more and feel stiff. I will try to stay stretched so I don't get too stiff. Hopefully my MS will just stay "asleep" and not cause me any issues.

I'll survive :)

Good practice. I still think it could have been a lot worse.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is why ice-melting products for the driveways/sidewalks is a great seller this time of year. :uhyeah:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL -- yeah, not a bad idea. I decided to take some ibuprofen and do some stretches. But now I am starting to hurt a little more and feel stiff. I will try to stay stretched so I don't get too stiff. Hopefully my MS will just stay "asleep" and not cause me any issues.

I'll survive :)

Good practice. I still think it could have been a lot worse.

Have been looking at your blogsite, Diana. Wow.
icon14.gif

Looking at what you deal with with such assurance and robust cheerfulness reminds me that I should stop my chronic griping about stupid little unimportant things...

OP
gkygrl

gkygrl

Green Belt
Reaction score
Have been looking at your blogsite, Diana. Wow.
icon14.gif

Looking at what you deal with with such assurance and robust cheerfulness reminds me that I should stop my chronic griping about stupid little unimportant things...

Thank you Exile. Life has a way of teaching us along the way and passing along lessons. As trite as it sounds, I really feel that we are given what we can handle (and not an ounce more). I do feel blessed for the resilience to handle "life's lessons".

OP
gkygrl

gkygrl

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is why ice-melting products for the driveways/sidewalks is a great seller this time of year. :uhyeah:

Hehehe, :goop: -- yeah, I had one section of the driveway (towards the top) that was catching some roof drips. Not more than 3' x 3'. My big size 10 feet just happened to go for that one spot.

C'est La Vie. I salted after I was done so hopefully I won't do it again.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've done the same thing. I used to live in a condo, and I was taking my trash to the dumpster across the blacktop of the driveway/parking lot, stepped on a rock and twisted my ankle. I went down like a sack of bricks as my ankle folded, rolled out across the pavement (luckily there were no cars coming) landed on my feet and kept going. When I got home I had a sprained ankle and a cut on one elbow where I'd rolled over a rock - no bruises, no other cuts, nothing.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm glad you are alright, people have gotten pretty messed up from slips like that.

I had a slip on the ice last winter as I went out the door leaving work. I had one foot slip forward and as I fell back I did some sort of roll rather than bang my tailbone or elbows into the ground. I couldn't explain the move, it just worked.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear your training paid off for you and it all worked out OK ;)

Latest Discussions