just an idea regarding the combination of fitness and technique training

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would like to address the issue of how you train your martial arts skills. We have all seen the difference between instruction/skill training based mostly on drill and flat out full contact fighting a la the Dog Brothers.

These seem to stand as the two ends of the martial training spectrum with varying degrees of skill/intensity in between, depending on how hard, fast or freestyle you intend to practice.

My friend and I have been training with something of a different sort:

By incorporating the burpee, which approximates the fighting skill of the “sprawl” and induces an approximation of combat fatigue and physical stress, one can add a dimension of training that is neither strictly skill centered nor outright sparring.

Last edited by a moderator:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kinda strange looking... but if it works and keeps you interested, why not? Rather than the resistance bands, another approach often used is to do your sinawallis and other stick drills underwater in a pool, using ankle-weights and scuba gear.

Well, maybe it isn't used that often. But it sounds like more fun than burpees.

itto_seki

White Belt
Reaction score

This Hung Gar documentary posted on YouTube has a segment where the host visits a school in Europe. The school broke down their techniques into a circuit format and had the students switch stations every few minutes. FF to 28 mins.

Last edited by a moderator:

jasonbrinn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Good day,

I like what you have done and this is a path that I started down decades ago. I then started testing this type of training with the results from more strictly traditional paths and found dramatic results. So dramatic in fact that after years of testing and getting the same results I changed my teaching and training completely.

I have been highly attacked over it, even got into some big debates here on the subject, but I eliminated sparring as a training tool. I found sparring to be much more harmful overall to technique and performance than it was helpful. Since having done this my students have shown remarkable ability over there stations time and time again and we have never looked back.

I hope you enjoy this path and I would love to learn and share with you about concepts and training methods along these lines.

Latest Discussions